I have about a million things to blog about from my trip, but naturally, I had to start with my favorite thing about turkey: food. Döner Kebab is just about my favorite indulgence here in Deutschland, so I was thrilled to travel to the place that inspired the popular snack (Döner Kebab was invited in Berlin, but by Turkish man).
It's really no secret that I love food. My Pinterest is 95% food, and 5% Someecards. Before going to Turkey, I had heard the food was BOMB and I mean it was BOMB, nuclear style. In general, I would say that the Turks love meat, tomato and rice, which I'm cool with, because I like all of the above as well. In fact, I'd say Turkish is right up there with my favorite international cuisines: Tex-Mex, Thai and Turkish, in that order (sorry Germany).
What you are about to see is a lot of food. What is scary, is that this is probably only one-sixth of the crap we consumed while there. When in Rome, right? Ironically, Turkey is not a favorite in Turkey. This is really not so ironic since they do not call their country Turkey, but Türkiye, which does not mean the gobble-gobble kind of Turkey in Türkiye. I am rambling now. Just enjoy the photos and wish you got to gain 6 lbs. eating food in Turkey too.
[caption id="attachment_500" align="aligncenter" width="558"] Turkish Delight, the most famous sweet in Turkey, usually honey-based with a gelatin/gummy like substance. These sweets are definitely more delicious than the appear.[/caption]
[caption id="attachment_505" align="aligncenter" width="546"] Mixed Meat Platter of deliciousness (Meat House, Istanbul)[/caption]
[caption id="attachment_507" align="aligncenter" width="540"] Sea Bass with a Lemon Peppercorn sauce, side salad, glass of wine, only 10 € (Vela Hotel, Bodrum)[/caption]
[caption id="attachment_508" align="aligncenter" width="540"] Tomato Kebab (Piknik, Bodrum)[/caption]
[caption id="attachment_510" align="aligncenter" width="576"] These street cars filled with mussels decorate the streets of Bodrum and are open all hours. They charge 1 Lira (0.44 €) per mussel, but you can work out an even better deal. The are precooked and stuffed with rice.[/caption]
[caption id="attachment_506" align="aligncenter" width="558"] I am a Döner Kebab connoisseur and this is döner at it's finest... look closely at the chicken doner - those are actually chicken breasts piled on top of each other. It doesn't get any better! (Grand Bazaar, Istanbul)[/caption]
[caption id="attachment_509" align="aligncenter" width="540"] Eggplant Kebab (Piknik, Bodrum)[/caption]
[caption id="attachment_503" align="aligncenter" width="558"] Hamburgers in a steamer... don't knock it 'til you've tried it. This is every Istanbul resident's favorite drunk food. (Kizilkayalar, Istanbul)[/caption]
[caption id="attachment_501" align="aligncenter" width="558"] We wanted a snack for our boat trip, what better than fresh olives, cheese and spicy tomato paste all for 6 €? (Egyptian Spice Market, Istanbul)[/caption]
P.S. - Beyond annoyed at myself because I had my camera on the low-quality, email attachment size setting for half the trip. Why do I do things like this?

21 comments
So happy that you had a good time in Turkey! And yay for food! Food is important! :)
ReplyDeleteI haven't seen much Döner in America...I guess it is just not so famous here. I don't eat meat so I always order a Döner with Falafel which is really really delicious. There is a Döner Bude in my town in Germany that makes such a yummy Döner with a tomato paste and a mustard sauce. So good!
Holy Moly.
ReplyDeleteThose turks sure do know how to make their food. I so want to go there.
Can't wait to see more pictures!
So uhh... You tried the Turkish Natural Viagra right? Five times in one night sounds like a hell of a delight!
ReplyDeleteYou're awesome.
I've not been to Turkey yet, but what I thought was so funny in Greece is how they have a lot of the same foods, but don't you DARE call them by the Turkish name- it is GREEK delight, and gyros, not döners. Then we went to Bugaria, and they will sell you delights no matter what nationality you give them- Bulgarian, Russian, Greek, Turkish... I'm not a fan of them, though. Too bad, since they are all over Eastern Europe, and I love Eastern Europe!
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to hear more/be insanely jealous over your Turkey trip!
Huh. I didn't know that Turkey sounds different in Turkey (not that I'm surprised, just never thought about it). I think I'm a pickier eater than you :)
ReplyDeleteI have to get to Turkey asap. Yes, even if it is just for the food. i need it!
ReplyDeleteThat food looks delicious. *nom*
ReplyDeleteAnd the "Turkish Natural Viagra" sign just killed me.
Stopping by from the Not Mommy hop.
doner, doner, done. i love DONER!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for linking up to weekend wanderings dear! Xo
ReplyDeleteYou had me at Doner Kebab. Is it gross that it's 6:45am and I would totally eat one right now?
ReplyDeleteAnd my pinterest board is like 90% food too, it's become my new go-to recipe source, I freaking love it!
omnomnomnom
ReplyDeletefood = favorite part of turkey
and greece
and everywhere i've visited, really.
ME LIKELY THE FOOD
Have you been to Hungary? I think that is my one exception so far.
ReplyDeleteI try and justify all my doner eating with the fact that I hadn't tried it til a year ago, so I'm making up for lost time. Totally makes sense, right?
ReplyDeleteI also love how I'm really immature and make doner/boner jokes all the time. I feel like you prob do the same so that's why I feel ok admitting this to you.
ReplyDeletehaha I know right, that sign is so ridiculous. That one was a joke, but they actually do have all these oils there for that that I'm just like wa weirded out by
ReplyDeleteLife. Changing. I might go back with you just to eat. Once I get rid of these extra lbs, that is.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I'll pretty much eat anything. Can't say it's a good quality.
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh that is hystericallllllll! I've barely been to Greece so I haven't had the opportunity to notice!
ReplyDeletepahahaha oh Josh, this made my day.
ReplyDeleteIt's really meat-tastic, which I love.
ReplyDelete[...] something almost as good as the food in Turkey, and that’s the shopping. This post is just a tiny glance at Turkey’s big business: [...]
ReplyDelete