There's something almost as good as the food in Turkey, and that's the shopping. I gave you a preview of my Turkey purchases before, but I'm here to show you Turkey's big business: textiles, particularly knock off items. When we got to Turkey, Lauren joked that everyone was so well-dressed. Indeed they were, but they were well-dressed completely in knock-offs of the world's most popular brands (and a little too decked out in brands, if you ask me). Every man on the street is walking around in some ridiculous combination of an Armani shirt, Gucci belt, Hugo Boss jeans and Nike tennis shoes.
It sounds like I find this knock-off culture ridiculous, but do not get me wrong, I COMPLETELY indulged in the knock off shopping culture and loved every minute of it. Likely you have heard of the Grand Bazaar, and it surely is filled with shoe, purse, shirt, watch, sunglass, you-name-it shops, but what I did not know was the counterfeit goods extend way beyond the Grand Bazaar throughout the entire country. Some of the fakes are outright terrible, but actually there are tons of really great ones. The "Converse" I purchased are Converse to a T.
Bargaining
The key to really enjoying the shopping is the bargaining. As a rough rule, I would not pay over 30 percent of the original price they offer. You can pay in Turkish Lira, Euro and even British Pounds and sometimes American Dollars, pay in whatever you want, but do NOT pay over 30 percent of their offer. Prepare to spend some time on bargaining. These guys do not want to budge, but they also know there is someone around the corner selling the exact same product. Our friend living in Istanbul told us, "You know you got a proper deal when the salesman is pissed off when you walk away with a purchase" and he is right on. The best strategy is walking away. 80 percent of the time they will chase you down and you will get your deal.
Where do they get this stuff?
I also had the opportunity to spend some time talking with the owner of a bag and shoe shop Bodrum with some killer knock offs. The industry instills serious curiosity in me. I asked where on earth they buy these bags and his response certainly surprised me. Tyson said that in the off season, they fly to Milan and Paris and do some serious designer store browsing and purchase the most popular bags in the stores. They then fly back to Turkey, where they take them to their particular manufacturer and give them one order: duplicate it. Although I did not purchase any leather goods in Turkey, I found this fascinating. If you travel to Turkey, be sure to pick the shop owners brains. They might even let you do it on the beach out back of their shop with drinks and mussels like this particular store owner (yes, slightly creepy but more awesome).
Southern Fried Chicken (SFC) - because Turkey even knocked-off KFC

56 comments
Interesting post. I wondered about the knock offs, too. And that SFC/KFC is too funny. Did you check it out?
ReplyDeleteLove this post! So cool! But I made the same experience: they chase you down when you walk away. I got some really cool "Gucci" sunglasses for only 5 Euros. Haha. This was in Italy though.
ReplyDeleteI think it's neat that you had the chance to talk to the store owner about how the knock-off business works! It was interesting to read about how they create the knock offs.
ReplyDeleteThis sounds so amazing. I would love to spend time here and just browse!
ReplyDeleteThat is incredible!!! Turkey is in my top 3 visited countries for sure. The spice market in Istanbul REALLY felt like the way I expected Turkey to feel. Which sounds strange, but most places never really fill me full of authenticity! I just remember the cutest restaurants on the streets and the most delicious food ever... but based on this post, I wish I would have shopped more!
ReplyDeleteha no, just from the exterior. the food in turkey was far too good to walk into that joint :)
ReplyDeleteand the fakes are actually pretty good! people here always have to ask if our ray bans are real or fake!
ReplyDeleteI know - I couldn't believe all the effort and money that actually goes into it!
ReplyDeleteoh we spent countless hours of our trip in these stores - it's addicting!
ReplyDeleteThe spice market was pretty much my favorite thing ever. I went in every store and asked for the spiciest thing they had just to give my tastebuds what they've been missing in bland Germany. The food is my second favorite cuisine ever (can't to Tex-Mex :D ).
ReplyDeleteVery lovely and awesome bags.
ReplyDelete"Armani shirt, Gucci belt, Hugo Boss jeans and Nike tennis shoes". i cannot imagine that combination, haha.
ReplyDeletethat walk away strategy is so true. always works 99.9%
You're right. It's pretty awesome. :)
ReplyDeleteBargaining is a true art form. My kind of art is where you walk away with stellar finds for cheap instead of walking around a gallery looking pensive for an hour.
ReplyDeleteGreat post....can you tell me where the knock off stores are.
ReplyDeleteIt's really more like where aren't they - in Istanbul, they were at every bizarre and the areas surrounding the bizarres and in Bodrum they were all around the beaches and tourist areas!
ReplyDeletehow much are they selling the knock of converse and ralph lauren gear for?
ReplyDeleteGotta get the best bargain you can, but I think I got the Converse for around 15-17 Euro and a Ralph Lauren shirt for maybe 20-30, depending on style.
ReplyDeleteWhat part of turkey was this? Do they do these sort of things all around turkey?
ReplyDeleteI visited Istanbul and Bodrum. However, they do these sorts of things all around Turkey from what I understand.
ReplyDeletehellooo i'm from turkey but i was born and i live in London i'm going to my country this year and im hoping to have fun. i love converses but i want to buy it there to see if its cheaper. so i would like to know weather you know the price if converses in turkey.
ReplyDeleteWell these are not real converses, but knock off Converses, so they are significantly cheaper than real ones. You will have to bargain for the best price but I paid around 17 Euro.
ReplyDeleteI am going to turkey tomorrow and wanted to know can I bring faux t shirts or bags as gifts for the family. Didn't want to be fined by customs or goods consfascated. First time im going pls give info.
ReplyDeleteI think technically, you could be fined upon reentry into your country. I came from Turkey into Germany and it was not a problem, but yes, it is certainly a possibility but I don't know how large of one.
ReplyDeleteIs there anywhere online you could buy from places like this or is there anyway of getting in touch with owners of shops like these in order to buy? You know without having to go over there where they could send what i order and i could pay
ReplyDeleteIs there anyway wee could buy from these Turkish places direct and be sent here in UK,obviously there's the money issue of if the goods land or not but surely we can work out so think so both party's are secure?
ReplyDeleteThat is a great question, but unfortunately I cannot help you out there. Maybe you can contact a British expat in the area that knows a specific shop you can contact. Otherwise, I'd just use Google Maps to see if any of these business are listed and have contact information.
ReplyDeleteHi there (Malik) the most famous place to buy goods and a find Supplier is in Merter and Zeytinburnu. Merter is amazing in terms of buying clothes and finding wholesalers and suppliers. There is one guy in Merter "Eliza Stock" if i could remember well. they have amazing products. I can sent his contact details.
ReplyDeletethings that you buy from Turkey is way better for EU in terms of customs duty vat., rather than buying from China.
the answer is YEs. Turkey has a massive market in textile and 40 % of its export to EU, you can either go on your own, see the supplier and meet in person, see the product, you like it and buy it! its a very competitive market, recently what i have heard that they come and take you from Airport, take you to the shop, help you in many ways, in order to find the right product for you. in my experience i had great time! those people were very friendly! the best part was that they took me to their little warehouse or shop and i was free to do whatever i wanted. I had a chance to see the product, to check the quality and ask many questions...thats my experience, hope it helps. and it was ridiculously cheap!
ReplyDeletethe answer is YEs. Turkey has a massive market in textile and 40 % of its export to EU, you can either go on your own, see the supplier and meet in person, see the product, you like it and buy it! its a very competitive market, recently what i have heard that they come and take you from Airport, take you to the shop, help you in many ways, in order to find the right product for you. in my experience i had great time! those people were very friendly! the best part was that they took me to their little warehouse or shop and i was free to do whatever i wanted. I had a chance to see the product, to check the quality and ask many questions…thats my experience, hope it helps. and it was ridiculously cheap!
ReplyDeleteEney websites you can buy fake goods
ReplyDeleteI want your website to buy something on line
ReplyDeleteCan you get me his contact details also so i can see about establishing a way of purchasing goods directly ? Thanks
ReplyDeleteAny information on being able to contact some of these sellers would be great if anyone can help
ReplyDeleteThe supplier is ELIZA STOK and email:
ReplyDeleteelizastok@gmail.com
Thats all i have! Hop it helps!
Alibaba/turkish suppliers google it comes easily
ReplyDeleteThe supplier is ELIZA STOK and email:
ReplyDeleteelizastok@gmail.com
Thats all i have! Hope it helps!
I am planning to make a trip to Turkey to buy men's suits, shoes and handbags. Can u help w contact for a retailer there?
ReplyDeleteI do not know anyone specific there. I just vacationed in Istanbul and Bodrum and shopped around. I am sure if you ask around while you are there, you can find great retailers, too.
ReplyDeleteHi There
ReplyDeleteHow are these bags ? Please advise..... Thanks so much
Hi There
ReplyDeleteHow are these bags ? Please advise..... Thanks so much
The quality and prices vary tremendously.
ReplyDeletetry alchemistgb@yahoo.co.uk they are in imp/exp companies deliver to your door! you tell them what you want and they find it for you cos they have contacts in Turkey! so try
ReplyDeletetry alchemistgb@yahoo.co.uk
ReplyDeleteHi,
ReplyDeleteWe are going to Istanbul for a 2 day trip from Athens. I would love to buy knock off branded handbags like gucci, louis vuitton etc. Can you please help me the address or areas of the store that sell them. We are staying in a hotel in the area near to the Topkaki Palace. I really aprreciate any of our suggestions on this.
Thank you.!!
Hi,
ReplyDeleteWe are going to Istanbul for a 2 day trip from Athens. I would love to buy knock off branded handbags like gucci, louis vuitton etc. Can you please help me the address or areas of the store that sell them. We are staying in a hotel in the area near to the Topkaki Palace. I really aprreciate any of our suggestions on this.
Thank you.!!
Your hotel can help you find places, but in Istanbul we did not shop outside the Grand Bazaar, so that is the only area I can recommend. There are a ton of shops available, with varying quality. We did most of our buying at storefronts in Bodrum, though. Happy shopping!
ReplyDeleteMy friend came back with the most amazing snakeskin Chanel handbag... I want it - Bodrum - any ideas where?
ReplyDeleteyes hi I would like to jith can you please help me with it if so can you email me at Robert 1_yahoo.com
ReplyDeleteI сomment ԝhen I еspecially enjoy а article on ɑ site or I ɦave sօmething
ReplyDeletetߋ add to the discussion. Uѕually іt iѕ a
result of the fire displayed in tҺe article I browsed.
And ɑfter tҺis article Buying and Bargaining Foг Knock-Off Gоods in Turkey.
I was аctually excited еnough to post a leave ɑ responsea response ;) Ι
do haνe ѕome questions fօr you if yoս do not mind.
Ӏs iit simply me oг do some οf these comments cօme
ɑcross like tҺey arе աritten Ьy brain dead folks?
:-Р Αnd, іf ƴou aгe posting аt additional sites, I woulԀ liҟe to keep սр with anything fresh
you have too post. Would you list the cօmplete urls of уօur social pageѕ like your twitter
feed, Facebook ƿage oг linkedin profile?
Ҭhere is definately a grеat deal tօ know about thuѕ
ReplyDeletesubject. Ι liҟe all thе poіnts you've made.
Where in Turkey are shops that sell wholesale in shoes?I went in MERTER for clothes last time.Not very expsensive shoes.Normal prices
ReplyDeleteHi. I want to go to Turkey to try and get some studded leather belts manufactured. Can anybody recommend where to go?
ReplyDeleteCan anyone help.As I've recently visited turkey & was amazed by the quality & the range of fake goods that were available to purchase.Was wondering if anyone knows of any online Turkish shops or suppliers that would send to the uk?
ReplyDeleteMany thanks
hi bros,,can u email me the contact at headofficefiles@gmail.com..wud like to get goods from there
ReplyDeletehi, are there any sites like or similar to ebay where you can these items online, thanks, mike
ReplyDelete