The Freund is very typical German in many ways and very atypical in others. For instance, he swears by house shoes (typical) but does is never on time (atypical). When it comes to hiking and the outdoors, he rings 100 percent true to Germans' love of hiking as well as their love for outdoor gear and clothing. He often ventures off on 48 kilometer trekking expeditions on weekends, while I stay back enjoying my favorite weekend activities: wine and cleaning up every thing while he's away. For his birthday this past Saturday and my last weekend in Karlsruhe for awhile, I agreed to join for a more reasonable 20 kilometer (12.5 mile) hike from the Black Forest town of Forbach to Bad Wildbad. Forbach is just over an hour's direct S-Bahn ride from Karlsruhe and costs only €10 round-trip (if you're a group, look to the Baden-Württemberg ticket as an alternative). Bad Wildbad takes about an hour and a half with a switch in Pforzheim coming home.
The hike begins with the hard part, the uphill. The Freund was clearly concerned about my endurance from his polite request for "no tears today" to the reminders to slow down my pace as not to tire. By the end of the day, I can proudly say I colored him impressed and was proud of myself too. Feeling my sore body three days post-hike, I think the endurance was merely an outcome of excitement to be invited on one of J's walks and wear my new hiking shoes (similar here), but nevertheless I completed the hike without a fuss. We hiked up around 750m, which took just under two hours. The views the entire way up are simply perfection and the uphill turned out to be our favorite part. This particular part of the trail was more off-the-beaten-path than the rest of the day and we only saw about 7 other people in the two hours. Along the way were two or three designated look out points, 9 small, numbered crosses counting up to a final large one, and plenty of moss covered nature. We ate our little breakfast sandwiches at a gazebo look out point for our first break about 1.5 hours into the journey. If I had it my way, I could have called it a day there but I am so glad I pushed myself forward.
At the top of the mountain, we found a marshy area with wooden paths across it and views of the mountain top Hohlohsee. From there, we continued onward to find the Hohlohturm (altitude 948 meters). The tower was built in 1856 and you can climb straight to the top of the 28.6 meter tower for views of the entire region. On a clear day, you can even see France! At the Hohlohturm, you encounter the rest of the hikers as many trails across the area merge here, along with a parking lot just a kilometer away for the young families and elderly to enjoy the area as well.
From here, I started getting pretty antsy for lunch at the much anticipated Grünhütte. The Freund went there during some Nordic skiing and raved about it ever since, so I was eager to see this mountain eatery (not to mention the massive appetite I'd worked up at this point). He ordered one the Grünhütte's infamous pancakes covered in blueberries picked fresh nearby, while I was craving something savory and went for my favorite German dish: Maultaschen mit Kartoffelsalat. It was insanely good and the place was packed. Insider tip: on a nice day, go inside to order as 75 percent of guests are lined up outside.
From the Grünhütte, the trails were packed with all sorts of people enjoying the incredible fall weather. Although the large number of people was frustrating, we can't blame everyone for wanting to enjoy the fantastic Saturday weather too. From our late lunch around 2 p.m., only 6 kilometers of the hike remained as we descended into Bad Wildbad. We opted for the Bergbahn down the hill to save our knees and time.
[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="713"]
[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="713"]
[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="713"]
[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="831"]
[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="831"]
[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="713"]
He does not enjoy my photo antics, but he did enjoy his blueberry pancake.[/caption][caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="831"]
[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="713"]
[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="831"]
[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="830"]
Overall, it was a wonderful day and I'm eager to go on another expedition of similar difficulty. The Black Forest is a wonderful place to discover Germany and the people making it what it is today. If you are looking for a "non-touristy" experience in Germany, I think you've found it.
Does this hike look like something you could dig your shoes into?

27 comments
y'all are cute. this looks awesome but also intense! i'm not sure I could do it, but I would love to try!
ReplyDeleteOhhh, yes, that looks like so much fun!
ReplyDeleteNot sure which looks better, the hike or the pancake. Luckily I wouldn't have to choose.
ReplyDeleteSidenote, love the Freund's glasses.
I better start walking the parking garage so I will have a hill !
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh, we were very close by this weekend. I was spent the day at the lake in Schwarzenbachtalsperre :)
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like a great experience! Your photos are beautiful.
ReplyDeletegoodness those are some gorgeous views!
ReplyDeleteLooks lovely!! And your food looked soooo delicious too.
ReplyDeleteSuch a gorgeous hike! And I see that selfie stick is coming in quite handy :)
ReplyDeleteBrilliant post! I know exactly how you feel - that's why I opted for a non-German boyfriend (he, he)
ReplyDeleteGinger
Well done on completing the hike - I still remember how much I ached after hiking the Baden-Baden Panoramaweg! Looks like it was worth the effort though - the autumn trees are gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteThat view is amazing!!!!
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like a fabulous hike! I'd definitely be sore, too, but it feels so good afterwards! The Black Forest is a beautiful place for hiking, and Bad Wildbad is just an hour's drive from home. I think I'll put this walk on my list!
ReplyDeleteWow, a pancake in Germany? How was it? I love all the hiking trails in Germany - one of the things I will miss the most about living here!
ReplyDeleteI like hiking as well, although 48 km would probably be too much for me. Such a pretty place to hike. PS: I agree on the house shoe thing. Could never live without them.
ReplyDeleteThose views are so beautiful! I was dying laughing at the no tears today, ha that is so something H would say to me!
ReplyDeleteCheck that blueberry pancake out!!
ReplyDeleteI politely request that you stop making me miss Germany. Thanks, you da best :D
ReplyDeleteHAhahaha and I managed it! *Pats self on back*
ReplyDeleteI sadly do not like blueberries, but the edge tasted fantastic and I can tell you that was not the Freund's first pancake there so he definitely approves!
ReplyDeleteGermany is definitely doing its best to show off this autumn!
ReplyDeleteBad Wildbad itself was just so precious! But I definitely enjoyed the Forbach end more as Bad Wildbad was PACKED on such a beautiful day.
ReplyDeleteI love it more and more every time!
ReplyDeleteHahahaha! I'm slowly being converted into an outdoor cloth wearing enthuastic hiker. Slowly but surely...
ReplyDeleteWah, too cool! It was a great weekend to flock to the Black Forest for show!
ReplyDeleteHahaha yes, Mom, I know there's gotta be somewhere with elevation in Houston better than a mall parking garage :)
ReplyDeleteI totally didn't think I could be the gorgeous day kept me going. I felt it for a full week after though pahaha
ReplyDelete