I remember my first time in Europe like it was yesterday. It was July 10, 2010 and I landed in Barcelona with my friend, Anne, where we met our other travel buddy, Deborah, to kick off a three week, ten country whirlwind Eurotrip. As a first time international traveler, I'd done little research outside of organizing our transportation and accommodations. I remember following Deborah around the Catalonian capital in complete awe of the hustle and bustle, the ornate Gaudi styles, and European living. The other awe-factors came from Debs. How did she know where she was going? What methodology could there possibly be to this underground Metro system? After living there one summer, Deborah could navigate Barcelona without a second glance and speak to the locals in her much-improved Spanish. To me, the total newb on the European continent, every thing appeared complex and foreign; it scared me a little, but the excitement of it all was more than enough to compensate for my fears.
There are a few things every one does there first time in Europe. It's nothing to be ashamed of (ok, maybe the tennis shoes my American friends), it's just all a learning experience and we first time international travelers like to learn the hardway.
Things Everyone Does Their First Time Abroad
The following photos are all from my first trip abroad in July 2010.
Take Pictures of Everything
Buildings, statues, street performers, and local vendors, no one is safe from being captured by your camera lens. While documenting your journey is important, especially for us bloggers, it's more important to take in your surroundings without a camera or phone hindering your view. See, taste, hear, feel, and communicate with the people and the surroundings and take notes later on the train or plane. You simply won't look at the photos of statues and landscapes later. Use your camera to capture the moments with your travel mates and the wonderful people you meet along the way. Save the people-less snaps for the art and lanscapes that inspire you. And please, for the love of God, stop taking pictures with your iPad, tablet, etc.
[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="764"]
Eat at Tourist Traps
You say you won't do it, but I guarantee you you'll find yourself tired, hungry, thirsty, and not caring about prices and food quality because "whatever, it's a pretty place to sit". Well, let me remind you that exhaustion is clouding your judgment and you do not really want to eat there. Walk those three extra blocks to find a quieter street, with equally wonderful outdoor seating, with better food at a better price. How to spot the good places?
How to Spot a Tourist Trap
- Photographs of the food on display in front of the restaurant
- Employees on the street attempting to lure you into eat
- Menu offered in three or more different languages, which is also displayed outside
- Patrons speaking languages other than the local dialect
- Restaurant located directly on main square
- Named "Hard Rock Cafe"
[caption id="attachment_8669" align="aligncenter" width="1024"]
Overpay
Whether it's buying food at the train station or dining at a tourist trap off the city's main square, you will be overpaying. This does not just happen for food, but bottled water, train and bus tickets, accommodation prices, and souvenirs. It is worth the effort to walk a couple blocks away from the main tourist areas to save a few bucks. Thirsty? Walk in the nearest grocery store. If you have a kitchen where you're staying (even many hostels do), purchase some goodies at a local supermarket for a cheap, healthy meal or grab some local beer or wine for a little pre-drinking to save money on wild nights out. For souvenirs, buy them away from the main tourist sites as well. For example, the Hofbräu mugs cost over €10 at the Hofbräuhaus, but cost just €2 at the Chinese Tower in the English Garden. Often, dollar/Euro/Pound stores have little items, too. For guided tours, check online and at your hotel for coupons. If you are traveling by train or budget airline, book in advance. For inner-city transportation, check for daily group tickets if traveling with companions as they offer heavy price cuts. Taking a few extra steps and doing some research can save you more money than you realize; when traveling for weeks, €4 bottled water adds up when you could buy a large one for €0.50 at the super market.
[caption id="attachment_8672" align="aligncenter" width="549"]
Suffer from Mobile Phone Withdrawals
You arrive abroad and don't know where to go. Oh no, the airport does not have Wi-Fi! What is a human being to do? Instead of scrambling for the next Starbucks for free Wi-Fi access, look around. Where are people walking? Is there an information desk? Speak with people around you. Your Internet access will come at your hotel, but until then, use your common sense to find your way to your destination. More and more people are upgrading to international plans or purchasing local SIM cards, but that Instagram can wait to be uploaded at the hotel and your mom can stand a few more hours without an email response. I'm the first one to admit to my Internet addiction. However, I love the rush of freedom I feel in a new country and I don't need my Android interfering. A cell phone is important to carry in case of emergency, but don't let your smartphone that steals your attention on a daily basis distract you from your new surroundings abroad. Use the free map from your hostel and ask questions to get around; its a fun way to discover a new destination!
[caption id="attachment_8668" align="alignnone" width="1024"]
Board the Wrong Train or Underground, Miss a Train, and Every Other Train Mishap
It's bound to happen, and hopefully it's a subway and not a long-distance train, but you will miss or board the wrong train. It's best to relax because once you've committed the foul, there's no going back and best to think clearly about your next steps rather than freak out. In fact, these moments make for the most fun stories to tell back home. When it happens, ask for help; figure out which direction you are headed and how you can most quickly remedy the situation. Most often, the train workers are sympathetic to your situation and you could not even have to pay for a new ticket. If you're traveling long term, these things happen and they are not worth getting worked up about.
[caption id="attachment_8667" align="aligncenter" width="1024"]
Wear the Wrong Shoes
If there is one article you should pay close attention to while packing, it's your shoes. Unlike daily life, you will be walking all the time and you won't be walking on smooth sidewalks, but damaged concrete and cobblestone roads. Those shoes you think are comfortable? Think again. Then remember, you'll be wearing them and another pair every single day. Go for decent looking shoes (that would not be tennis shoes, but sneakers are OK) with good support that are transitional from day to evening. Be sure they are broken in before arriving and you know they can endure all the walking. Just when I think shoes are comfortable, I go on a trip and am rudely reminded by blisters and a sore lower back that they are in fact not comfortable. I'm still searching for the perfect travel shoe, so if anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
[caption id="attachment_8671" align="aligncenter" width="558"]
Overpack
Cramming all of your favorite outfits and toiletries into your backpack or suitcase may seem worthwhile at the time, but until you're hauling that bag from the plane, onto the local transport, and then trekking to your hotel, over and over again, you won't realize the enormity of your mistake. Add in a couple shopping trips at H&M and the market later, and you're purchasing another bag to hold your crap (true story: I did this). Pack comfortable shoes basics you can wear again and again, buy your shampoo at a local drugstore upon arrival to share with your travel mates, and only the essential electronics (for me, smartphone, Kindle, camera). Your back and feet will thank you for packing light and you'll have more room for purchases along the way.
[gallery type="rectangular" ids="8278,8279,8280"]
What silly things did you do your first time abroad?

20 comments
I think that even travelers do this from time to time - we get more comfortable!! I booked the wrong ticket back to Spain this summer…and paid the consequences!
ReplyDeletei could not agree with this more- especially about the shoes! you have to really think abut this, unless you don't care about your feet throbbing!
ReplyDeleteI still overpack even after years of travelling....I'll never learn it :D but I take way less pictures than I used to take on my first trips :D
ReplyDeleteHaha love this! I did a 4 week Eurotrip with my TOMS and I thought they were so comfortable the whole time. Of course my legs still ached after all the walking so I have yet to find the magical shoe that gets rid of all that. I so agree with you, the first time abroad take pictures of everything, the small things will seem amazing the first time you see them!
ReplyDeleteFinding the perfect travel shoe that still looks good is so hard - it feels like a never ending search, hahaha.
ReplyDeleteYep, done 'em all and more! And you can't overstate the importance of comfortable shoes and packing lightly...errors in those two can ruin an otherwise fabulous trip. I'd also add you're going to get ill with something eventually, and surprisingly the world will still keep turning. Pharmacy/chemist shop people are there to help, your hosts too, just ask...and don't let it spoil your trip, it's just part of the journey. Nice post as always!
ReplyDeleteGreat post! I've done most of these at one time or another. Remind me to tell you sometime about my €18 Sprite in Paris. Ugh.
ReplyDeleteAbout comfortable shoes. You are right. I have the most troll deciding which shoes to take to Europe. I have found a lace-up type shoe to offer the most support and adjust to swelling in the heat or just too much walking. Have you ever tried insoles? Don't knock it. They can take a good pair of shoes to great! I like Mephisto or Geox in a lace-up style. Merrill and Clarks are also quite good. Some of my friends prefer Keens. Very comfortable but a little lacking in style. Hope this helps others.
ReplyDeleteps- great post!
ReplyDeleteTotally with you - I absolutely ate in front of the Pantheon in Rome too. Plus I wore flip flops - very bad idea! My feet remained black from street dirt for more than a week, despite daily scrubbing!
ReplyDelete[…] advice for when you go abroad. We have Jason’s sister and boyfriend living with us for a couple of months at the moment and […]
ReplyDeleteIf anything, I didn't take ENOUGH photos, and didn't have the sense to buy another memory card. In my defence, it was my first digital camera and I still didn't really understand the thing or what it meant to "buy more memory"...
ReplyDeleteLoved this post - it's so true. ANDDDDDD I totally agree, people should stop with the iPad photos!
ReplyDeleteTotally guilty of all of those.
ReplyDeletebut seriously. the iPad photos must stop.
ReplyDeleteIt absolutely does! Thank you for your input. I actually have not done insoles yet so I guess I should give it ago.
ReplyDeleteI saw 8 Euros for a Coke on a menu at a swanky hotel there and I found that outrageous. In fact, I paid $22 once for a standard whisky-coke in Miami and that's sounding pretty good about now. Holy hells.
ReplyDelete[…] pretty much do all of these EVERY time I go abroad. They’re so […]
ReplyDeleteGreat blog! i didn't overpacked instead I forgot lots of necessary things! hahaha. These are few of the things I learned from my first trip abroad :) http://whatsupkat.weebly.com/blog/few-things-i-learned-on-my-first-trip-abroad
ReplyDeleteI still fall into the trap of needless overspending, especially in big groups of people. It's so hard to try to get everyone on board for the cheap place away from the main square (although I adamantly refuse to eat at any place with laminated photos of their food, so I guess that's a win). We went to Lyon a few weeks ago and instead of researching the best way to get to the city, we just hopped in a cab and gave them our hotel address....SEVENTY Euros later we made it. Ugh.
ReplyDelete