It's been nearly three and a half years since I finished my bachelor's degrees (B.S. Public Relations, P.S. Communication Studies, Business Foundations Program) at The University of Texas at Austin. Promptly after finishing, I packed my bags, traveled for a month, and never moved back home. Karlsruhe, Germany, instead, became home. Things change, I changed, and as much as I loved my carefree lifestyle at the pub, I needed something more to feel fulfilled. Germany's best kept secret is that it offers free* education at each of their world-class institutions. Before even beginning my bachelor's, I knew a master's degree was in my future. However, after finishing my bachelor's, more school was the last thing on my mind. I wanted to see the world and earn money. The last three years, I scratched that itch until it bled and decided it was time to make a life for myself. The plan? It's not exactly spelled out, but it would all begin with a master's degree. Germany offers tons of study programs, in both English, German, and a mixture of the two languages. I searched through them all seeking out the perfect program and when I found it, I knew it was the one.
I put all my eggs in one basket and applied for the Masters in Consumer Affairs (MCA) at the Technische Universität München, which so happens to be the 54th ranked university in the world. Fortunately, someone decided I was qualified and next thing I know I was moving my butt to Bavaria. There were lots of nerves involved: moving away from my Karlsruhe comfort zone, beginning a long-distance relationship, learning a new city, and making new friends, all come to mind. Despite nerves, life happens no matter what and Monday, October 6, kicked off the semester and after a week of class. Here are some things that stood out on my first week of school.
Unlike every campus that I've been on in the U.S.A., the campus at TUM is very spread out with different campuses spread out across the city. This makes sense when you consider the age of the university (established 1868) and its location smack-dab-in-the-middle of Munich, making expansion difficult. Three of my courses this semester are at the Weihenstephan campus in Freising, which means all of us have to travel to what is basically the airport every day. It takes an hour to get from my apartment to the campus. Then, once we get there, we have to schlepp our asses up a huge hill. Come winter, we shall see if I'm in class or still cuddled up in bed. Fortunately, my other two classes are on the main campus in Maxvorstadt. My attendance skills weren't stellar during my Austin days, so I'm hoping to improve them.
The Mensa, or school cafeteria, is glorious. Actually, I should say are glorious because there are locations across the city. Lunch and side dish offerings change daily and you can easily eat a full meal for under 2 Euros. It's even pretty good, although we do joke that the price makes it taste so much better. If that's not a student's dream, I don't know what is.
Other glorious things: Weihenstephan, the Freising campus, is home to the oldest still-operating brewery (you can also major in brewing) in the world and hosts a free beer festival every year. My classmates are the best I could have asked for, which is good since we four out of five classes together. And student discounts are gold here, like the full network MVG six month ticket for only 144 Euros (this ticket would cost a normal person 204 Euros per month!).
My lecturers consist of three Germans and one Japanese, most (1 fantastic exception) of whom's English at the level I imagined it would be. I know I should not talk, as their English is still certainly better than my German. I event felt bad thinking this, until my German classmates discussed their same displeasure recognizing that every international student in our program speaks better English than our professors. The spelling mistakes on the slides, which they tend to read directly off, are the worst part though. Spell check!
Speaking of lectures, the lecture halls are totally old school with the wooden chairs in rows along long writing tables, which is neat in theory until you have to sit in one of those chairs for a four-hour lecture and realize it is impossible to get comfortable.
Last note about lectures: when class ends, students knock on the tables instead of clapping to show respect.
We don't have to buy books which is fantastic. The library usually stocks enough to use, but the reading is not required, rather a supplement to the lecture. Many professors also choose to provide PDFs as required reading material instead of a textbook.
The final exam is 100 percent of your grade. This is good because you really can do as you like during the semester. The bad news is come finals time, you will be hitting the books like no one ever has before. We all optimistically enjoy thinking we will stay on top of school work, but we all know the truth.
MCA is a four semester program; the first three semester consist of 5 courses each semester, taking 20 hours/week and the final semester is dedicated to our thesis (what the hell am I going to write about?). The first week eased my nerves quite a bit, seeing the syllabi and meeting my new friends, who are also in the same boat. The program is about half-Germans and half-internationals, which makes for a very unique makeup and the older students in our program organized lots of events to integrate us and help us meet new people. Every thing still feels new, which is exciting and I'm looking forward to see what my future at TUM and in Munich holds.
[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="675"]
[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="675"]
my roommate and I on the first day of class[/caption][caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="675"]

*There are student union fees of ~115 Euros per semester.
Have you studied abroad? What stood out to you at your international university?

59 comments
Hope you have a wonderful semester! The thing that always gets me is the pubs and drinking ON campus! Lol
ReplyDeleteHow exciting, I always loved the excitement the first days of school brought. I handle our master program at Reykajvik University which is all taught in English but I feel you on the level of some of our professors English skill set. I often am the one sent documents to spell check. Hope it is a wonderful term!
ReplyDeleteThe Mensa was my favourite thing about my year of studying in Germany. UK universities never have food that good!
ReplyDeleteI've always thought I would get a masters but I keep getting older and not trying to get one. I may need to change that. Maybe I should move to germany? Finals are 100% your grade?!! ahh. that's a lot of pressure. that's crazy about how your professors speak english poorly.
ReplyDeleteSo cool! Sounds like how exams are in law school here. That's a total bummer about the profs' English though! Maybe it will get better with different professors next semester? Glad you're off to a good start but sorry about the schlepping!
ReplyDeleteI just got my MA in London and it was a lot different than the US. More so than I thought it would be! Though I think now I want to move to Munich and get a degree in brewing...
ReplyDeleteGood luck with your degree!
& yet another excellent adventure!
ReplyDeleteYou will do well, learn much, experience great things & meet/befriend interesting/intelligent people.
Savor the moment, treasure the memories. Stay on top of things.
Proud of, & for, you.
You are a star, my star, a superstar.
Love & miss you.
Later,
Daddio
I used to have a lot to do with folks at the TUM in my old job - nice to finally have an idea of what it looks like! :) Best of luck with your degree!
ReplyDeleteUmmmm....okay, I'm sold. I want to do a masters in Germany now!! Or maybe take brewing...haha. This post is awesome, I love 'back to school' time. It's so weird seeing other people do it now after I did it for so long. I am really really looking forward to reading all about your program there so please post about it lots :)
ReplyDeleteAlso, I think I have said this before, but my second-favorite part of your posts, after the post itself, are your dad's comments. My dad doesn't even read my blog. You are very lucky!!
I'm in the beginning stages of applying to a German university, and of course the one I'm applying to has the highest fees of any German university I've ever heard of: 337 euros per semester. Still, that's much better than the $50,000 per year that I had to struggle with for my bachelors (and am still struggling with via student loans). I'll take the fees in Germany any day!
ReplyDeleteI'm totally sold on the free beer festival part. ;)
ReplyDeleteHi! Random comment but I emailed you around a year ago with questions about being an au pair and you were so helpful! and now, I am here, in Switzerland/Germany (Konstanz so the border) having a fab time !!! So nice to see what you get up to. Now started writing about my au pairing! love your blog xx
ReplyDelete(antonia-otter.blogspot.com)
Germany totally has is right with university. Maybe I'll have to look into it down the line. Glad you are adjusting well and kudos to you for taking the jump and making the move@
ReplyDeleteWow, sounds great! I kind of want to get my MBA in Munich now... I can't believe it's free!
ReplyDeleteso interesting to see the differences! particularly the knocking..
ReplyDeleteMy son is a sophomore in college. He is studying abroad in Germany for an academic year. He left home on Sept. 8th for Luneburg, Germany and Luephana University. He had a few weeks of German Language class and officially starts his semester tomorrow. He loves Germany and I may never get him home. I sent him your post about Oktoberfest when he was preparing to attend. For the last year I've read your blog, Ashley Abroads and Casey Cotes blogs. All three blogs have been a great asset for me in preparing for his study abroad year!! Thank you! I even started a blog to help other families prepare for this process. Enjoy your new adventure!
ReplyDeleteAhh, free education. That would be lovely. There's really cheap Master's programs here in Russia for foreigners but... you know. That's amazing you've got the chance to study there, even if there is schlepping involved.
ReplyDeleteI considered my master's pretty cheap in Spain (4800 euros), and I got to do it online, so I didn't have the same university experience as you will undoubtedly have. If you need a study break, you know where I am!
ReplyDeleteThank you Tammy for your kind words! All the best to your son in Luneburg. My mom can definitely relate to your feelings, but I promise we're all doing well here :)
ReplyDeleteOddly, the MBA programs are the only programs that not free. I think it's because they conform to international standards for what an MBA is. However, you can get a masters in International Business, or International Marketing for free still here. It's a pretty incredible system :)
ReplyDeleteIt's totally worth looking into. The DAAD has all sorts of information!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your blog Antonia. Konstanz must be a wonderful place to live and I'm so happy to hear you're enjoying it. I'll add you to my Other Denglish Speakers sidebar :)
ReplyDeleteBest of luck to you! Where are you applying? Pretty funny that 337/semester is "high" in Germany.
ReplyDeleteDO IT! The education system in Germany is actually mind-blowing and I'm so thankful they let foreigners be a part of it. It certainly felt strange having back to school after 3 years off, but it's amazing how normal it feels at the same time.
ReplyDeleteHAhaha I knwo right? A free brewing degree - it's like taking up a hobby :)
ReplyDeleteI'll be sure to show you the slides on the Garching campus then :) it certainly is not the prettiest but has plenty of oddities to show for!
ReplyDeleteI definitely think it will improve next semester. The funny thing is, my Japanese professor did a PhD in the US so I'm wondering how he managed to pull that off. Positives to the schlepping: we are all looking forward to toned butts ;)
ReplyDeleteYeah, it feels totally weird being back in school but really great at the same time. I mean a free masters... why not move to Germany? ;)
ReplyDeleteThank you! Glorious isn't it?
ReplyDeleteThat's so neat you handle the masters program! I bet you get a million emails. We always joke about our poor program coordinator...
ReplyDeleteOh thank you so much! That's so sweet of you ❤️
ReplyDeleteThanks! I'm applying to Universität Hildesheim, near Hannover, for a Masters in Internationale Fachkommunikation - Sprachen und Technik. The program is entirely in German, which is a little intimidating, but I'm gonna go for it!
ReplyDeleteA note from an American former teacher for Americans thinking they'll just come over to Germany for a free college or grad school degree. There's no extra credit (that's an American thing), your semester grade might be determined by one test or one test and one lengthy paper, and phone calls from Mom won't change your situation or your grade. It seems Alex knows this, and she's ready to work. Free does not equal easy when it comes to education in Germany. German kids decide in 4th - 6th grade if they're headed for college or not, and in high school if you get 2 Ds you repeat the year. The whole year.
ReplyDeleteSounds pretty great so far! Like the other commenters, I'm impressed by the free tuition and inexpensive food. Starting a new chapter is so exciting!
ReplyDeleteviel Erfolg mit deinem Studium!
ReplyDeleteThe other good thing your forgot to mention is you always get at least 2 chances at taking the final exam, so if you fail the first time, no worries! Hahaha. I was happy to realize that one, considering my program is in German.
ReplyDeleteI think I did not mention that because I'm terrified that I will not have a semester break and instead will be studying for my retake ;-) better not to think about it.
ReplyDeleteTausend Dank!
ReplyDeleteYep, there's certainly more self-discipline involved in the German system. They aren't messing around with the amount of material one's expected to learn in a semester and thesises sure aren't optional, which we lucky bachelor's students got away without writing in the U.S. They don't really care if you stick around or not when they're handing it out for free, that's certain.
ReplyDeleteSemester break in southern Spain does sound awfully nice :)
ReplyDeleteBut 4800 still sounds like a dream compared to a US masters, verdad!
Absolutely! I can always find something to complain about :) but the great thing about the schlepping is class is no attendance required so I don't even have to schlepp should I feel like my bed is a better place to spend the morning :)
ReplyDeleteBest of luck to you! With great challenge comes great reward :) You'll do great!
ReplyDeleteGermany is high on my list for grad school for sure! This makes me miss being in school!
ReplyDeleteHappy first week and congratulations! I started giggling as soon as you said your campus is called the Weihenstephan campus-- what could be more... Munich?
ReplyDeleteCan I ask a (probably obvious) question about what exactly your program entails in terms of consumer affairs? It seems like a broad subject so I am interested in what topics some of your classes cover.
You should be Munich's ambassador...you practically sold everyone here to enrolling in Germany :) myself included. Prost!
ReplyDeleteKnocking-on-tables-thing was also new for me. I realized that instead of clapping, people will usually knock on tables -- not only when the lecture ends, but for things that people usually clap for, if there are tables around, people knock on them instead...
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to write that I love reading your blog! :) I can really relate since I'm also an American who just came over to Germany to do a Master. So nervous about that 100% weighted final!
ReplyDeleteFrom UT Austin to Germany?! How kickass!! :)
ReplyDeletehttp://neatly-packaged.com/
So interesting to read about what studying in Germany feels like for you, Alex! I'm just wondering why you didn't decide to major in beer brewing -- that would have been THE best blog niche ;)
ReplyDeleteGood luck on your first year of Uni! I hope all goes well. It's interesting to read about the differences between a German and American School.
ReplyDeleteI've nominated you for a Liebster Award, by the way. :)
http://travelinghopefully.co/blog/2014/10/23/the-liebster-award-2014
Alex! I was at Bray the other day for its 6th birthday party. We missed you!
ReplyDeleteKnocking on tables?! That's an interesting tradition!
ReplyDeleteI love this idea - if anyone is looking to set up a blog. please. do. this. :)
ReplyDeleteAw felicidades on starting back to school! More pictures pleeease! Now I want to move to Munich and go back to school....
ReplyDeleteHaving just finished my MA in Göttingen, you WILL find something to write about, and you WILL magically pull 60-100 pages out of your ass and, six months later, have no idea how you did it.
ReplyDeleteThis is fascinating stuff! Congrats on your new course as an academic!
ReplyDeleteIt's called academic applause ;)
ReplyDeleteThere are lots of ways to get to university. Getting certain vocational trainings and working for a few years. You also might go back to school.Just to mention 2. So it is not decided between 4th and 6h grade.
ReplyDeleteHello! I know it has been a while since you wrote this, but I really enjoyed reading this blog and am also looking to apply to the same program. I am a marketing student from the US. Do you have any advice regarding the application process? How competitive is the program? Very impressed with it all!
ReplyDelete