I've mentioned before that I love Munich. It stole my heart from my first visit in 2010, and I have been back to visit, learn some things, drink a lot of beer (and I'm not even a big beer drinker), attend Oktoberfest, etc. Every time I bring a first timer along, I make sure that our first activity is a bike tour of the city with Mike's Bike Tours. After some friends raved about this tour, I had to give it a try and seriously, it is a blast.
When arriving in a new city, it can be overwhelming. So, what the heck do I do here? I did not buy a guide book. I know the beer is good, but don't know where or which beer to drink. There has to be some good WWII history here, but where do I begin? A city tour can really help you answer all these questions, and in Munich, what better way to do it than on a bicycle. Biking is an extremely popular mode of transportation in Germany, so you really get the feel of how it might be to use a once childhood hobby as a legitimate mode of transport. My favorite thing about beginning with a tour is that you get a great taste of the city and can then decide where you would like to go back for more. For me, in Munich, that was the English Garden. The larger-than-Central-Park public park is a gorgeous escape filled with beer gardens, tons of locals, surfers, food, and nudes. Yep, nudes. But seriously, you can learn all about the nudes like Tripod and Robocock on the bike tour.
The tour is hilarious and the guides are all native English speakers that not only know the city, but genuinely freaking love it. Don't be shy to ask any questions about history, beer, clubs, Oktoberfest, etc. - they know it all! I've done this tour 5 times now and it has not gotten old yet. I walk up and they know me, how sad awesome is that?
Here's a Glimpse of What You Will See and Learn During the Tour
The meeting point for Mike's Bike Tours is at the Altes Rathaus (Old Town Hall), to to be confused with the Neues Rathus (New Town Hall), that massive gothic structure in the background that hosts the Glockenspiel.
Look for this structure in Marienplatz and you'll surely find the meeting spot.
On my first tour with Mike's Bike Tours, Kyle, the tour guide pictured, was a trainee. He, like myself, is a graduate of the greatest university in the world. Ok at least in the US. Ok, definitely in Texas: The University of Texas. Two years later, I can still find him here absolutely loving his job.
Hofbräuhaus - Das Original
Here, in the square in front of the world famous Hofbräuhaus, you will hear a witty joke about being at the most popular place in Munich, Starbucks! (I promise they will tell it better).
Max- Joseph-Platz with the Bavarian State Opera in the background
Residenz München
more of the Munich Residenz
This notable gold brick path in the passage behind Odeonsplatz, known as Dodger's Alley, symbolizes those who refused to walk through this passage and Hail Hitler. Those who did not do the Nazi salute were beaten, killed on the spot, or sent to concentration camps.

Odeonsplatz
Odeonsplatz and Theatinerkirche

inside Theatinerkirche

Hofgarten

Monument to the White Rose, a resistance of Munich university students to Hitler and his regime. These students threw leaflets speaking truths and were turned in by the janitors and captured by the gestapo.
Bayerische Staatskanzlei, or the seat of the Bavarian Chancellery, was nearly completely destroyed during the war. In the center, damage can still be seen on the columns and the new additions of the glass wings represent transparency in the new government.

Upon entrance into the English Garden, you will cruise past the U.S. Consulate and this piece of the Berlin Wall.
the Eisbach running through the Englischer Garten
Englischer Garten

When the sun comes out, so do all the Germans.
stopping for lunch and a Radler at the Chinesichen Turn (Chinese Tower) in the Englischer Garten


On the way out of the English Garden, you will stop and check out the surfers surfing the manmade wave on the Eisbach river. The tradition was started by none other than an American G.I.
This building, now the Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Wirtschaft, Infrastruktur, Verkehr und Technologie, was the headquarters of the German Air Force during WWII. Inside the doors, you can see the where a swastika once hang in the grasp of an eagle's claws (pictured below).

The Monument of the Angel of Peace serves as a reminder of the peace period after the Franco-German war in 1871. The angel fell off the column in 1981 (creepy?) and was restored and reset in 1983.
This Protestant church is one of the few in the Catholic-dominated region.
Bike pick up & drop off occurs here on most days. I just adore the Guten Biken logo with the Bavarian riding the pretzel.
Mike's Bike Tours Munich
When? In high season, April 15 - August 31, the tour operates daily at 11:30 & 4:30. There are also deluxe tours and other tours, like to Neuschwanstein Castle. Please check their Website for times during other months.
What? A casual, guided bike tour of Munich via the MBT Beach Cruisers.
Where? Meet at Old Town Hall, not the shop, on the East end of Marienplatz.
How long? 4 hours with a 1 hour break for a beer garden lunch
Cost? 25€, 19€ for backpackers (discount available when staying at specific youth hostels)
Would you consider a bike tour as opposed to traditional tours?

15 comments
some things I've decided. I need to go on this bike tour and convince michael to move to munich where we will work as bike tour guides. yes, that sounds just about perfect. I am definitely doing this.
ReplyDeletewere there a lot of hills? otherwise, this sounds amazing.
ReplyDeleteStopping by from the link up. A bike tour sounds like an awesome idea!!
ReplyDeleteBike tours are the best - I did one in Munich and one in Berlin, and you are so right - they are the BEST way to see the city, hands down! Plus, who doesn't love riding a bike ?
ReplyDeleteI love bike tours a lot! I have to say I really miss biking here. There are not enough bike paths around. It is scary to bike on the roads sometimes. Thanks for sharing the great pictures. Munich really is a great city. Just so expensive...
ReplyDeleteAhh I love Munich! I even celebrated my birthday there last year! :) My recommendation for an even budget-friendlier tour: Sandemans New Europe Walking Tours -- free and hilarious!
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like such an amazing opportunity to see the city! I love it.
ReplyDeleteHi Alex
ReplyDeletethat looks beautiful!! And it brings me back to the days I used to live in Munich myself. When I was there (2008) I did not see many bike tours offered, but that seriously has been a good change. Next time I am going to do one as well, such a brilliant idea.
xx
Svenja
I'm trying to get to Munich soon to visit my cousin...which means, among other things, beer and bikes. And doing it outdoors. Yessssss!
ReplyDeleteOoh, your photos look amazing! I still need to write about Munich for my 30 towns before 30 series.
ReplyDeletethis is awesome!!! I need to do this next time I'm in Munich for sure.
ReplyDeleteOh wow! This is awesome! You see so much more on bike than by foot. Looks like a great time :)
ReplyDeleteYES! went on their tour in Munich too! <3ed it!! It started to rain in the middle so we took cover under trees!! haha
ReplyDeleteAlso, Fat Tyre Bike Tours (Did them in London, my friend did them in Barcelona) really good too!!
Love all of your photos! I've yet to do a bike tour, but I've always wanted to. (I've also always wanted to do one of the many free walking tours that so many places have, but for some reason I *always* get distracted and miss them). And I've actually heard a lot of positive feedback about Mike's Bike Tours from people who have used them!
ReplyDelete[…] check out Alexandra’s detailed review at Speaking Denglish, with tons of […]
ReplyDelete