BAVARIA & THE ROMANTIC ROAD

By Unknown - 3:34 AM

My strongest association with Germany will always be green. Not beer, not pretzels, not Oktoberfest, nor trains, but simply the color green. Green parks, gardens, and ponds are dotted sporadically throughout the cities. Tall green trees tower in the surrounding areas and grown thick in the Black Forest. Countryside biking, driving, and motorcycling are popularly activities in Germany undoubtedly due to the greenery. It takes no time to escape the city and see an instant change from the typical German architecture straight into rolling green hills and pristine lakes.

In the summers, Germans pack on their Jack Wolfskin hiking gear and set out for long treks throughout the mountains. In the winter, everyone in the South heads into the Black Forest or better yet Garmisch-Partenkirchen in the Bavarian Alps for Alpine adventures like skiing with snowTrex. Without a doubt though, my favorite way to experience the German countryside thus far was exploring Bavaria along the Romatic Road, or Romatische Straße, as the signs read in German. Even with windy and rainy driving conditions, we were blown away by the beauty of it all.



The Romantic Road in Germany is a nearly 500 Km (~300 mile) road running from Würzburg on the northern end down to Füssen and Schwangau, famously home to Neuschwanstein Castle, on the southern end. It is called the Romantic road due to the fascinating experience of it all - with the castles, countryside, and old timber-framed houses, you will really feel like you're in a fairy tale book. Throughout the drive, I would be shocked if you did not get to see a Bavarian family dressed in their traditional tracht, men in Lederhosen and women in Dirndln. There are also plenty of family owned German restaurants serving up specialities like Schnitzel, Knödel, potato salad, pork knuckle, and more. My advice: don't leave without trying some classic apple cake (Apfelkuchen).

The route stays off busy main highways and instead takes you weaving through the German countryside. There are many hiking, walking, and biking trails set out along the romantic road, so be sure to leave the car and explore the area on foot to really appreciate your surroundings. Germans love their outdoor activities, so experience the local pleasures by indulging in a trek yourself.


View Larger Map
 









What are your favorite country side spots?

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

19 comments

  1. Ooooh, the weather wasn't your friend! But it still looks like an awesome trip, I often go to Würzburg because it's so great.

    One of my favorite "Nothing to do, let's drive somewhere" destinations is Lake Constance. As the weather gets warmer, it tends to get crowded, but nevertheless it is a gorgeous place =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know if this overlaps with the Grimms' FairyTales Trail? I think that would be such a fun tour and it looks like some if this belongs on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some very fond memories of this area..... my grandparents had a cottage just outside of Rothenburg ODT and I got to visit a few times. Such an incredible place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love that area. You get to see so many beautiful houses, castles, lots of trees, nature, lakes, Brauereien...it is awesome. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to have to add this on to the list of many, many, many places Andi and I should go. We have planned out a driving tour through Austria which involves hitting up some of this route on the way, but I can imagine it would be great to drive in one go. Thanks for sharing!

    Rosie xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Green and Jack Wolfskin, oh so true. I love the parts of that road I've been on, but I'd love to do the whole thing sometime... or be super-Deutsch and bike along it. That's when you know you've crossed over. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are seriously some of your best photos yet! I would love to see the Romantic Road... any day now, ha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your posts are really making me want to spend more time in Germany! Admittedly, I lovelovelove the country far more than cities, and this road trip sounds like my kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These photos are amazing! I really need to see more of Bavaria.

    ReplyDelete
  10. From your pictures I can totally see why you associate Germany with Green! Which is funny, because I don't associate it with nature at all (I obviously didn't travel around enough!), I associate with comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Girl, ima have to stop reading your blog because it always makes me miss Germany like crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lake Constance is big on my summer to do list!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I only did the more southern part of the drive, but it really was amazing! I have yet to do the Würzburg area and such, but it's certainly on the list!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Grimm's stories are more attributed to the Black Forest, which is in the the neighboring state of Baden-Württemberg, so they aren't far! There may in fact be some overlap but none that I am sure of.

    ReplyDelete
  15. hahaha I always feel SO German on any bike trip

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ahhh Germany is so beautiful! I wish Spain were as green ...

    My favorite countryside spot in Spain is Puebla de Sanabria/Lago de Sanabria. Most people don't know about it, but it's located in northwest Spain, veryyyyy close to Portugal. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-yeoehs9V7Ok/UQgyH7IHkhI/AAAAAAAAD1o/qSsft9J8erg/s1600/lago-de-sanabria01.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  17. Will definitely check it out the next time I'm in bavaria! Looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been hearing about the Romantic Road for a while, I'd love to drive it. I'd definitely be buying the delicious German food!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These photos just don't do it justice, it's such a special area!

    ReplyDelete