STATUS UPDATE ON LIFE IN GERMANY

By Unknown - 12:29 PM

Well, a lot has been going on here and I don't really know where to begin, so I'm just going to go for it.

The company I worked for was an unprofitable startup and has been dissolved. I was given about 3 weeks notice and urged to take my paid vacation days, so for the past three weeks I've been on "vacation". I can hardly call it that though due to the uncertain future it created. Travel wasn't/isn't an option because I may need the money and I have already planned trips I need to be prepared for. I've poured countless hours into first moping, second taking action, and now we are in phase three, which is the waiting period.

The easy option would be to go home. I have a flight home at the end of May for a special event and booked my return with miles, so I wouldn't be at much of a loss. However, I did not sit through German winter to miss a beautiful summer. My best friend is coming back to live here for the summer and we plan to travel Scandinavia. Overall though, I am just not ready to leave. Houston will always be home and it will always be there. I am so fortunate to travel there twice per year and even more enthused by my visitors here. My ties to Texas are strong, but for now they'll remain long distance ones.

The big dilemma revolves around the fact that I am happy here, and want to be here right now, but I don't know if I want to go home come September or come 2040. It makes planning difficult.

My other options are limited: find another job (much easier said than done since my German is subpar) or stay on a student visa , which requires enrolling in German classes and looking into getting my masters here. Basically, I need another visa as a rep at the Ausländerbehörde (foreigner's office) so wittily informed me, "We can figure out another visa, but we don't hand out find yourself visas." Danke Frau, really.

Luckily, I found a teaching position. It is unique in that it is part-time and freelance. I am employed by a company who will place me teaching in companies in my region. So, my schedule will vary widely, but it's something - and something I am pretty excited about after going through orientation. However, I cannot begin until my new visa is **hopefully-fingers-crossed-pray-to-God** approved. This process could take up to three months, or hell they could call tomorrow, who knows.

I also took a German placement exam and will enroll in intensive German class, starting with B1 level, beginning April 5. So, in 8 weeks I could potentially be at C level (if this means nothing to you, here's more information on European language levels). I am still hoping to be on the working visa though because homegirl needs money.

I have also been using this time to blog (duh!) and pour some serious effort into Europe Itinerary (I've just booked my first paying customers and am thrilled to plan their trip)!

Lastly, I am so lucky that I kept my cost of living extremely low here and am financially OK for now and also to have a supportive mother who isn't using this as a sign it's time for me to come home. She somehow trusts my ridiculous self and encourages me to keep learning every day.

Ok, maybe that wasn't lastly, but on the life front: friends and Freund are good, food is good, life is good, weather may one day soon be good, and in 10 days I jet off to Sicily with the gang. So don't worry about me until I write a sob post about how my visa wasn't approved, then you can worry all you want about my well-being.

Thanks those who stuck with me on this wordy, photoless post, but this process is indeed lengthy and unglamorous.


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

61 comments

  1. Aww, I am so sorry to hear that circumstances lead you to look for another job. But it seems that you have already make up your mind on your options, which I find impressive in such a state! I believe that you should always go for your happiness, whether it is here or somewhere else because that will ensure that you look forward to get up in the mornings and enjoy life to the fullest!

    Wishing you all the best and good luck for your new job! I am curious to read about all your new adventures as a teacher :-)

    Love,
    Svenja

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was hoping you would come home secretly, but I am glad you are taking it like a man and just rolling with the punches. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! That sucks! What a dilemma! I hope everything will turn out great, that lady at the Auslaenderbehoerde sounds like most people who work at an Amt. So stupid. Well, I am relieved to hear that you are fine for now and that teaching job sounds promising! So I am keeping my fingers crossed for the visa and for the job and I hope to hear some good news soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh! what an upheaval! keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes well with the visa process - your teaching position sounds like a pretty great opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh Alex I had no idea! that is scary but sounds like you are or are getting it under control and the teaching position sounds promising. it's great that your mom (and me, i mean jk) are so supportive of your stay in Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear about that! Hopefully you'll get your visa approved soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry, it really is a pain in the butt overhere with all the Visa Stuff. My Husband is going to the german 'Integrationskurs' as well (I am German). I hope your Visa will get approved so you can stay longer! I really love the german summer, that's why I also have a hard time thinking about moving back to the US, even if I love it there as well :)

    Crossing my Fingers for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stay, stay, stay!! I know, that totally doesn't help your situation any. But stay! Ha. I hope this teaching position works out to be wonderful...and that your visa gets approved lickity split! Crossing my fingers for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow big changes for you! Good luck in the next phase.... I'm glad you decided to stay in Germany as I love reading your stories from your life there... though that is a bit selfish. ;) Good luck with the visa!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keepin' my fingers cross for you! That totally bites that the startup didn't pan out as planned. :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. ugh. what a drag. glad you're digging your heels in though. when you want to stay, you figure out ways to stay! good job, buddy. you've got this ish! : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know how that goes, but don't feel too bad. Life is just a road (not to sound too cheesy). lifes a garden, lifes wave lifes a roller coaster blah blah blah. I hope you figure stuff out... A lot better than me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Faced with the same circumstances three years ago, I know the feeling and that it IS possible to do with effort and using your connections! If you need teaching pointers, email me - I have far more experience than I expected to!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry about the job, Alex- but cool that you found that teaching position! I have a feeling I will be in this exact same boat in 6 months or so when I'm panicking about what to do after my Au Pair year! and I'm heading to Scandinavia at the end of august!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. and if this post wasnt my life story i dont know what is ;)

    but on a more positive note...i loved the part about 'traveling scandinavia'. i liked it a LOT.

    good luck with it all!!! i promise it will turn out just the way it should! <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ouch, that's rough! But it wouldn't be expat life without the occasional "oh shit I need to get a visa somehow" game. That's great that you were able to score a teaching job right away though... I know some places in Germany are kind of fussy if you don't have a TEFL or other certification, but there are a few that provide enough training themselves to get around it. (I don't think you have one, do you?) Either way, that's good to hear that you'll still be here to keep us all entertained! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, no! So sorry to hear. :( There's always a lucky German man at the flick of a Twitter. Should be as easy as a ticket on a military base, no? Not funny, I suppose. Hope it all works out. We're eagerly awaiting news.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry to hear of the change in circumstances but it looks like you are coming out the other side of it. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the visa process goes smoothly. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh my! now your comment to me last week about knowing what i'm going through makes even more sense!

    so, brilliant idea: one year from now let's both post about how losing our job "last feb/march" was awful at the time BUT everything happens for a reason and now everything is working out wonderfully!! ... i hope so anyways !!

    crossing my fingers for you on the visa and i'd love any tips you have on croatia v. turkey (i want to do a sailing trip in ONE of them this summer ...my parents are worried turkey is dangerous, but isn't that old news?)

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh no! So sorry to hear that (and now I understand why you said you may be interested in the Bray Head job - definitely stop by and see Ferghal! There's one barmaid there whose German is basically non-existent so German skills really aren't necessary!).

    Well done on finding a teaching job so quickly, and good luck with the visa.

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh Alex, i'm sorry to hear about that. But i guess, in every non-beneficial circumstance there's the big lesson. trust me, i know how that uncertainty of the future feeling is. since i'm a freelancer, i have that phase every once in a while.
    but i'm so glad that you've found another job. i'm crossing my fingers and send my prayer so you'll get the visa thing done sooner than later. and i admire your choice to stay rather than go home, to learn and fight the hard way rather the easy way. you rock!
    i believe things will fall into place at the end for you,,

    also, when i travel NOT for work to Europe, i will certainly contact you :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you Svenja! I've had about 3 weeks and one solid week consisted of me acting pretty down, but I knew I had to act fast because the visa office would want to see something. And that is definitely great advice - I know I am happy here now so I see no reason to change it yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Vielen Dank Katrin! Only time will tell, but I'm hopeful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It definitely is - and it allows me a lot of flexibility which would be great for traveling and working on my side projects! Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  25. hahaha - let's home it's under control. I should be able to stay through summer regardless but after that I need ya know... an income... haha - fingers crossed on the new working visa

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you sooo much - I don't know how I'll survive 20 hrs of German class per week. My attention span is a bit short, but hoping it's good for me. My summers in my hometown Houston are scorching hot and I've been looking way too forward to it here to miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you, Stephanie! I really hope it works out! Otherwise I've got some HUGE changes coming my way

    ReplyDelete
  28. It really does, but such is life. Thanks Sara!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Holding on tight to this German life of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  30. <3 you Cay! It'll sort out. I think. Hope.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks a lot, Cat! I definitely may have to use your expertise :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you, Hailey! Haha yes the post au pair year can be a mess if you decide you aren't ready to go right back home :) Ah just so excited about the thought of Scandinavia!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you, Megan! I know you understand - why visas whyyy

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hahaha great point. I don't have a TEFL, so I am lucky. Germany apparently wanted to see my degrees though, so I guess someone was concerned about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. HAHAHAHAHA it might not be QUITE that easy. Thanks Sarah!! Will keep everyone updated.

    ReplyDelete
  36. The waiting period is certainly tough - staying busy hasn't been so tough though! Thank you Jay!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Yes after I left that comment I thought I should probably fill everyone in. I love this brilliant idea of posting a year from now - somehow does make me feel more optimistic.

    I definitely prefer Turkey over Croatia. Turkey was more affordable, incredible food, and less overrun with obnoxious tourists (not Istanbul, but the other places). I never felt unsafe there honestly. Maybe when I saw lots of armed forces in Istanbul, but outside of there not at all. The Turkish men can be very forward, though, but you just ignore the crap out of them. A sailing trip sounds fantastic!! So jealous. I don't know so much about sailing stuff though, but can ask around :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow thanks a lot Niken, all that means a lot! And yes please contact me when you're over here!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh wow, so much going on! I completely relate to the not being ready to go home yet thing. My husband and I have a lot of conversations about moving to the US because it would be a good move for us, but I'm not ready. I feel like once I go back, I'm not coming back out (for vacations of course, but not to live), so I'm just not ready to say goodbye to Europe yet.
    In the meantime, best of luck with your teaching job and your German classes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. You can do it. Seriously. My boyfriend says that the holy triumvirate for landing a job in Germany is to be foreigner, female, and handicapped--you've got two of the three. You have a marketable skill-set, and as a foreigner, you generate interest before they even meet you. YOU CAN DO IT! Work your plus point (and you've got lots of them!)

    ReplyDelete
  41. THANKS TINA! That honestly does make me feel much more optimistic. They have my degrees and all that so they don't think I'm trying to freeload - we'll see :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. If I go back to the U.S., I'll certainly hermit up. Europe is just too good right now and so glad you understand! Thanks Sara!

    ReplyDelete
  43. sadly it's been way too long since I caught up on my blog reading... sorry girl! but WOW what an experience to go through. I am so sorry! Definitely hope it works out for you... best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  44. This sounds like a pretty scary time...on the plus side your German will be much better soon. I am going to be studying again in the summer but am not quite on my B 'levels' yet. Guess what I plan to do as soon as I move over next year? Yup...intensive school. I hope that the courses will lead to a level of proficiency whereby I can find employment. You'll have to let me know how you get on.

    (Things normally work out in the right way in the end. Fingers crossed)

    Rosie xx

    ReplyDelete
  45. I totally understand, my Husband said the same, but he says it is actually not that bad. Here it is only from 8.30 -12.30 and only from Mon-Thur, so that really makes it easier to have a long weekend :) It also depends where you attend, he goes to the VHS (Volkshochschule) which has a more pleasant environment than other little schools downtown. Plus it'll be only for a couple of months, and you might even find other US Citizens there :)

    Have a wonderful weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hope it all works out for you,it would be a shame to leave before you are ready.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Thank you, Robyn! Everyone's support means a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I hope everything works out for you! I lived in Germany from 2008-2010 and met my husband there. I had to come back to the states and he followed me but neither of us wanted to leave. I love Germany! So we are moving back on May 22nd!! So my point is, keep fighting for what you want. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  49. Thanks so much, Deanna! It really means a lot and you bet I'm fighting hard. How exciting you are moving back!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Sorry to hear that, I have a friend in a similar position and she is currently applying for the PhD program so she can stay here! We could always start a travel company together! :) But seriously...

    ReplyDelete
  51. I am clearly hugely massively behind on blog reading. Congrats on the teaching gig! I hope things have worked out with your new visa.

    And good luck with the new German class- I kinda gave up just before hitting the B1 level classes, because I don't actually want to stay here. My contract and visa run to Halloween 2014, at which point I want to go back- I'm enjoying the hell out of my time here, but Germany has never ever felt like home.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Still waiting on the damn new visa - oh bureaucracy. I ended up doing B1+ and I am dying a little, it's tough. My understanding is ok, but my speech is definitely lacking compared to my classmates. It's rough, especially since I am unsure whether or not I can even stay (or how long I want to) at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Visas can be such an annoying thing. I really hope everything will work out fine for you. I know how horrible people at Behörden can be!

    ReplyDelete