Passport? Come on, that is a duh. You couldn't make it here without one. I know my readers have a solid grasp there. I am talking when it comes to packing the clothing essentials and my number one, can't leave at home travel essential is a:
Rain Jacket
(here's my favorite rain jacket)
But why?
1) It rains in Europe. A lot. It doesn't usually last long, but you don't want to be caught in it unprepared and who the hell wants to carry around an umbrella all the time? Plus, I have a pet peeve about umbrellas here because people walking with them have no courtesy and I'm sick of getting hit by them.
2) All purpose.
2a) Rain protection
2b) Wind breaker
2c) Light jacket serves for cooler summer evenings in Europe.
3) It's outwear. So, you can wear them a million times and not be judged for outfit repetition.
4) No washing. These things can survive your entire Eurotrip without a wash and still be socially acceptable. Don't know how they manage it, but they do.
5) Zip-in/out lining. One of my rain jackets (yes, I have more than one, they're that useful here) turns into a winter jacket when I zip in the lining. Major bonus.
6) Portable. Much better than carrying an umbrella around and can be easily rolled up into your purse or day bag.
On my 2011 Eurotrip, we hit (in this order): Rome, Florence, Cinque Terre, Nice, Monaco, Carcassone, Barcelona, Interlaken, Munich, Berlin, Prague, Copenhagen, Amsterdam, Brussels, and Paris. It rained in every.single.city. except Paris. Can you believe it? We couldn't. It took us awhile to learn, but by Berlin we never left the hostel without our rain jackets (which all happened to be North Face, slightly embarrassing but at least we stayed dry).
[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="1024"]
Interlaken, Switzerland[/caption][caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="2048"]
Living on the edge at the Cliffs of Moher, Ireland[/caption][caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="2048"]
Still had not learned the raincoat lesson. Thank goodness Mike's Bike Tours gave us free ponchos.[/caption][caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="2048"]
Rainy Sunday in Berlin at Mauerpark[/caption][caption id="attachment_8779" align="aligncenter" width="720"]
[caption id="attachment_8780" align="aligncenter" width="688"]
And I've gotten more and more use out of rain jackets than just Eurotrippin':
[caption id="attachment_8781" align="aligncenter" width="1024"]
[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="2048"]
I always have it handy at home in rainy Karlsruhe[/caption][caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="2048"]
Nope, the rain won't even hold off for Oktoberfest[/caption][caption id="attachment_8778" align="aligncenter" width="960"]
What is the most important thing for you to include when packing?

29 comments
Way to be prepared!
ReplyDeleteBack in the day, when dress was more formal, a trench coat, with the zip-in/out lining was de rigor. I recall your Grandfather owing a camel hair overcoat for winter & trench coat/windbreaker for the balance. Of course, one would also need a hat.
Of course, these days, most people in your hometown, and most of the U.S., are rarely exposed to the elements? House, to covered garage to freeway to covered parking to covered walk-way to elevator to office.
So glad you aren't stuck living in a container.Man was meant to experience his/her environment. Keep it up!
Love you, miss you, proud of, and for, you!
Dare I say: I do not own a proper rain jacket (even though I'm European) - I guess I have to agree with your dad: a pretty trench coat or something like that would be my choice! My absolute must would be a good purse. It must be big enough to hold all the necessary stuff (including a book, a purse, an emergency Mars, an umbrella, if absolutely needed), small enough (because you will carry it around a lot, and if it's too big, you will have to check it in some places or museums), and pretty enough not to look like a tourist.
ReplyDeleteI agree. I hate being cold so I've got a million jackets too. And your comment from your pops was super cool/sweet. : )
ReplyDeletehahaha, I'm completely guilty of the umbrella thing, but even worse because I bike with one hand, hold the umbrella with the other. Oops.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree, I never travel without a rain coat! That's just silly in my book!
ReplyDeleteI am in deperate need of a rainjacket!~ I always use my umbrella and it's not convenient at all
ReplyDelete<3Chelsea Elizabeth
http://www.organizedxxmess.blogspot.com
Oh No! Good thing I read this. A rain coat was not even on my mind for my trip!
ReplyDeleteAmen. Rain coats are super important for Europe. Now if only I could find one with long enough sleeves...
ReplyDeleteI'm with you on the rain jacket thing. I bought a (for me) kind of expensive one on a trip to Manchester a couple of years ago, and it has served me well. Its hood with built-in brim (similar to yours) deflects the rain out of my face very effectively. My only complaint: it doesn't appear to breathe well. I get all steamy inside it pretty quickly when I'm all zipped up in it. My wife prefers the umbrella approach.
ReplyDeleteMy must-have thing -- when we're underway in Germany at least -- is my pocket WiFi router so that both my iPod and lappy can surf via my cellular pre-paid data plan, even if the WLAN service wherever we're staying is unreliable. Which it almost always is. The wife has an iPhone with her own data plan, so she's covered there, but I don't and I get twitchy when I can't check my email.
When I got to Germany, I didn't have the right jacket for summers here- I grew up in Florida, so I had very light stuff, and one heavy winter jacket, but nothing for basic protection from wind and rain when it wasn't all that cold. I wound up buying a Mammut "Ultimate Hoodie." The thing is fantastic for basic rain protection, the hood has a great shape (you'd be surprised how often rain hoods just fit weird, imho)...
ReplyDeleteCliff noted above that his gets all steamy inside: the Mammut coat has zips that go from armpit to waist on both sides to act as vents. I didn't appreciate that feature fully until I was in London and going from rainy topside to steamy in the Tube... Veeery useful.
I hate umbrellas - they always want to turn inside out and I'm convinced I'm in everyone's way. A rain coat is essential!
ReplyDeleteSeriously, I've been stabbed way too many times by umbrellas to even chance doing that to someone else. They just clutter everything up in the streets. It is always so funny when they turn inside out though, I can't help but laugh when I see it happening to everyone!
ReplyDeleteMy North Face with the zip in has the vents too, but I always forget about them! Good reminder. I so feel ya on the jacket situation, I've spent so much on winter clothing since moving here. I'm outside way too much just going to work, supermarket, etc. to be cold all the time.
ReplyDeleteMuch better than carrying around an umbrella, especially if you'll be riding a bike around a lot! Everyone in my city transports by bike, so it's super helpful.
ReplyDeletePortable WIFI router sounds incredible. I don't even have data on my phone, which is such a 180 from the US. I've adjusted ok to no Internet access at times but I would love it solely for tram and train times.
ReplyDeleteSometimes I miss my warm, centrally heated container.
ReplyDeleteI can't even be upset with you and your umbrella ways because that is damn impressive that you ride your bike whilst holding an umbrella.
ReplyDeleteLove the bag idea! The problem is I never look nice when traveling as I tend to fall to comfort. Thus, I can prance about in an ugly raincoat and backpack haha. One day I will need to change this but for now, oh well :)
ReplyDeleteThat's actually a really smart idea for skiing! I'm planning on going skiing in the Alps this winter but don't want to bring a bulky ski coat, so I think I'll just zip a rain jacket over my regular one.
ReplyDeleteA book for all of those train rides!
ReplyDelete1.5 years in Europe and I don't own a rain jacket. Or an umbrella. I mean what?
ReplyDeleteNo data plan on my phone or iPod touch either, which is why I opted for that 3G-to-WiFi router. If you're thinking about a data plan for use on trains in Germany, my advice is: go with one of the big 2 providers (Telekom or Vodafone). I have a pre-paid plan for the WiFi router with O2 and their coverage along rail lines is pretty weak compared to Vodafone's (as measured against my wife's iPhone with Vodafone).
ReplyDeleteStop it. How did you survive??
ReplyDeleteMaybe someday, I usually just tough it and substitute with iPad games, music, wine and hopefully a travel companion. Internet would be spectacular though and I hate paying for it on the ICE trains.
ReplyDelete[...] decked out in our matching travel essentials anxious to see what all the fuss is [...]
ReplyDelete[...] packing item: North Face Rain Jacket – protects against breezes, and rain, [...]
ReplyDeleteLong shot you will reply to this, as this post is several years old! In Munich, do you also need a winter coat in October? I'm from Texas as well (San Antonio) and am heading to Munich, Salzburg, Innsbruck, Prague (And Scandinavia) in October - early November. Will this North Face be sufficient? I'm sensitive to the cold!
ReplyDeleteHi David,
ReplyDeleteI would definitely recommend bringing one. You might get wonderful 75 degree weather, but it is also very likely it will rain and be 55. I think the jacket is enough should you have jeans and good socks and shoes. :) Granted, if you are plannign to go in the mountains I'd bring a cold gear shirt or something. I can't speak for Scandinavia though! May be colder there.
Clarification: I am talking about the North Face without the fleece lining. The fleece lining one you'd probably be too warm.
ReplyDelete