On Eurotrip 2011, our awesome Texas native tour guide with Mike's Bike Tours in Munich raved about the city of Berlin. We asked what his must-do was and he got super excited and asked if we would be in Berlin on a Sunday. We regretfully said we were leaving on Sunday to go to Prague. He said no, stay another night, take a late train, something! because we had to go watch karaoke in Mauerpark.
There was a group of about seven of us heading to Prague Sunday, so these plans were not easy to make. The last train left Berlin at around 6 pm, but we decided that would be Ok. On a very rainy Sunday in Berlin, we headed across town to Mauerpark. We weren't sure what time karaoke would begin but there was a massive flea market going on, too, so we weren't too concerned about killing time. Half the group decided they'd had enough of the weather, but me and two loyal travel mates stayed along to experience what we were assured was the highlight of Berlin.
It did not disappoint for a second. We laughed. We cried (no, really, we did). We contemplated coming back someday to sing karaoke ourselves. There were entertainers across the board, singing classics and original songs. People from all over the world stepped up to get their moment. It was almost like watching "American Idol" auditions because you'd see an appearance and have no idea what you were going to get.
This is what the steps looked like when we arrived at Mauerpark. The second we saw them, we were sure this is where the karaoke would take place, but we had no idea how many people would be there to watch.
All decked out in our matching rain jackets (a travel essential) anxious to see what all the fuss is about.
The huge flea market in the park kept us busy until the karaoke guy rode up on his bike, equipment and all.
Nomming on some stir fry noodles we bough at the flea market awaiting the karaoke to start. We almost gave up. I guess he was just waiting for the rain to go away, too.
While he set up the equipment, people began to sign up on the list. People brought their background music on a USB stick.
The guy that brought the karaoke equipment kicked off the show.
There were some characters. Her outlandish style definitely screams 'Berlin' to me.
This seemingly intoxicated fellow provided some good laughs for everyone while his friends hooted-and-hollered loudly.
These two visually impaired young Swedish girls brought swells of tears to our eyes when they say "My Heart Will Go On".
Katie and I looking on from the other end. We were so sad we had to leave early to catch our train to Prague. We debated staying another night in Berlin just so we could finish watching (I'm not a Prague fan anyhow).
It drew quite a crowd, especially once the rain stopped.
Photo Credit: Christin Dietze
Karaoke in Mauerpark
Who? Joe Hatchiban, his company Bearpit Karaoke and you!
What? Bearpit Karaoke rolls up to the amphitheater Mauerpark on a bike with battery powered speakers, a laptop, and a microphone.
When? Every Sunday (weather permitting) in Berlin, around 3 p.m. He posts updates on the FB page!
Where? Mauerpark Amphitheater, Gleimstraße 55, 10347 Berlin, Germany - UBahn Eberswalder Str. (line U2) or Voltastr. (U8)
Why? Why the hells not? It's definitely a Berlin-y experience.
How? So you want to sing? Bring your song on a USB. Know the lyrics (there's no TV screen). Get there early and sign up upon Bearpit Karaoke's arrival. Booze (If you so wish. I would so wish). Wait for your name to be called.Ok, so I don't know the exact routine, but from what I saw, it's something like that.

15 comments
Awesome!! I did not know Berlin is that cool! Should defo be there more often!!
ReplyDeleteGreat post!!
Svenja
xx
I love Berlin! Such a wonderful city!
ReplyDeleteI sang karaoke once and I am sure everybody hated me. Haha.
Looks like fun. Maybe I'll check it out if Ifind myself in Berlin on a Sunday. I'd better not sing though. Haha.
ReplyDeleteBerlin! It's on the list :D Looks like a great time. I love karaoke too...don't know if I'd be brave enough to do it there though...that's quite a crowd.
ReplyDeleteThat looks like so much fun! I love karaoke!
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh, me too. If I had even close to a decent singing voice I would have totally sang something there. It was an incredible atmosphere!
ReplyDeleteMake sure you are there on a Sunday so you can witness it, such a treat!
ReplyDeleteI would definitely be one of the people they laughed at if I did sing, but just being an audience member was such a fun thing!
ReplyDeleteOh people definitely hate it when I sing. I always try and sing in groups so people can't tell it's me sounding terrible haha
ReplyDeleteI've only been once so I definitely need to visit again!
ReplyDeleteI've only been to Berlin once and I didn't like it that much but I'm pretty sure that if I had known about this gem, I would have like it a whole lot more!
ReplyDeleteYa I totally couldn't quite get into the Berlin hipster-ness, but this part was FANTASTIC!
ReplyDeleteWow, I have never heard of it! I used to enjoy Berlin some years ago, but you are right about the hipster-ness, that is not quite my scene either. Could be fun though for a dull Sunday! =)
ReplyDeleteEven on any Sunday, can't recommend it enough! So much energy from everyone and quite the variety of talents, genres, etc.
ReplyDelete[...] still on my Bucket List so I got my inspiration from one of the travel-blogs I occasionally check: Ifsands&butts is a blog from Alex, an American girl who is living in Germany (Kalsruhe) right now. She visited [...]
ReplyDelete