CILANTRO AVOCADO CHICKEN SALAD

By Unknown - 3:35 PM

This past week brought an overflow of perishable items to my fridge; I can't quite figure out why since I have not gone out to eat. I leave for home in one week, so it's been a bit of a puzzle figuring out what to eat on which day so nothing spoils or goes to waste, while also avoiding another shopping trip before I head to Texas for two weeks.

A large leftover package of chicken sat high on the list of must-cook items in the fridge, so that became the basis for the meal. Then, two of my favorite ingredients, avocado and cilantro, were nearing also their own ends, so it was clearly a Cilantro Avocado Chicken Salad day. Boy, do I love to spoil myself!

The great thing about this recipe is that you really  use leftovers and throw in whatever you like, for instance:

- the chicken can be light or dark; seasoned or unseasoned; with skin or naked; baked, grilled, boiled, pan fried; chunky or mushy


- the onions can be red, white, yellow, or green


toss in whatever you like, I only had onion and avocado, but peppers and celery would also be great


eat it plain, on a bed of lettuce, wrapped up in a tortilla, or cozied up between two pieces of bread







I used the small food processor attachment on my Braun immersion hand blender to make the dressing.





This cilantro avocado sauce would be good on just about anything savory - oh Lord, it's straight drinkable!




Cilantro Avocado Lime Chicken Salad

Cilantro Avocado Lime Chicken Salad

Avocado Chicken Salad Sandwich

Treat yourself: I had leftover hamburger buns lying around for grill season, so I toasted it up and made it a lunch time delight!




Cilantro Avocado Chicken Salad


Cuisine: American

Author: Alexandra Butts

Serves: 4


Ingredients


  • 3 pounds (about 1.5 Kg) Chicken

  • 1 avocado

  • 1 heaping handful of cilantro (or coriander)

  • 1 lime

  • 1/2 cup sour cream

  • 2 cloves fresh garlic

  • 1 dried red chili

  • 1 small red onion




Instructions



  1. Cook chicken to your liking. I used a mixture of thighs and legs for dark meat. They were pre-seasoned for the grill, but I baked them until done in the oven (about 30 minutes).

  2. Slice and shred chicken into chunks.

  3. Toss in bowl or container.

  4. In a blender or food processor, combine 1/2 avocado, cilantro, juice of 1 lime, 2 peeled garlic cloves, dried and dried chili.

  5. Blend until smooth.

  6. Pour sauce over chicken salad and mix thoroughly.

  7. Chop red onion and remaining half of avocado. Combine into chicken salad mixture.






Notes

Toast a bread of your choice and even thrown on a piece of white cheddar for a delicious sandwich.




 I'm clearly a chunky chicken salad girl. How do you like yours?

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

11 comments

  1. "...since I have not been eaten out." Uh...what? Haha, I think you meant "eating."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Freudian slip, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummmmmm i love all of these thing and putting them together is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really good - I'll eat anything with avocado!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks amazing!!! haha I love the typo haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I love the meals that I can just use up my leftovers in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And this is one of the (many) reasons I am not a professional blogger - once I finally finish a post I never take the time to proof read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! This looks great. I need to give this recipe a try asap :) xx

    ReplyDelete