My bags are packed for yet another journey home. At 10 am, I board my high-speed ICE train from Karlsruhe to the Frankfurt Airport. A change train in Mannheim and a quick hour and six minutes later, I will arrive at the airport, just under three hours before my flight. Then, I have an 11 hr and 50 minute flight direct to Houston (IAH). Nearing my three-year mark in Germany, I could make this trip with my eyes closed. In fact, one time I 100 percent zombie-d it from the airport to my flat when some sleep-helpers failed to wear-off in time. I woke up in my bed a bit confused, but not at all surprised that I successfully made the journey from airport to bed.
In flying this route over-and-over again, I've 100 percent defeated the overpacking game. I still have a ton of clothes at home and frankly, my lifestyles, not to mention the weather, are different in Germany and in Houston, requiring different clothing and accessories. I love flying but 12 hours in the air is too much for any aviation aficionado. Nevertheless, it does provide some good "me" time. Here are my expat-in-Germany-flying-home essentials.
1. BahnCard
My BahnCard 25 provides me 25 percent reduction on train ticket prices, even sale ones. I booked my train tickets weeks ago to get the best price (full price is €42 per leg, but I got €33 round trip) and I will need to show my BahnCard with my tickets.
2. Driver's License
I never drive in Germany and always look forward to hitting the highway back in Houston, so my I.D. card is essential. Plus, I may actually get carded now that I'm back in the states and there's a 5 year difference in the minimum age to purchase beer (still mind-blowing).
3. Earbuds
Even though every sort of earbud hurts my ears eventually, ear buds are the only way for me to fly. I struggle to sleep on planes in the first place, but regular ear phones would make it impossible to roll my head to the side and get comfortable. I use my earbuds to listen to Spotify on my phone, as well as plug into the in-flight entertainment system. I've already gone as far as to check the lineup and kicking myself for having watched The Lego Movie, Frozen, and American Hustle all recently. I think I'll be tuning into The Wolf of Wall Street, Anchorman 2, and Saving Mr. Banks and fingers-crossed for sleeping the remainder of the flight.
Note: Earbuds wrapped up in a Quirky Headphone Wrap - I won it in a blog giveaway and it is SO handy.
4. Blunt Tip Scissors
I will need these to change colors while crocheting. They have a blunt tip and short blades, so they are TSA-approved.
5. Crochet Kit
I recently picked up crocheting. I'd been looking for an idle hobby when I saw someone making a hat in the park. It's perfect hobby to simultaneously do while watching my TV shows and it makes great gifts. I've only done one hat, but could see my improvements throughout. I'll take on my second hat on the plane and purchase more yarn at home so that I can take on new projects.
Yes friends, all your children (but seriously, no hurry there) will have crocheted animal outfits.
6. Backpack
It's not the sexiest of luggage, but it sure is practical. My Jansport Agave backpack has proved tried and true all Europe, the US, and everywhere in between. It has a laptop sleeve and tons of little pockets to slip in my passport and keep organized.
7. Cash (Euros & US Dollars)
Save yourself the hassle of worrying if your debit/credit cards work upon arrival in your new country. It's best to have cash in both currencies for airport snacks, transportation, etc.
8. Amazon Kindle
I am sadly not a big reader, but I sure to navigate to it when on the road. My simple Kindle can be purchased for only $69, reads like a book, has incredible battery life, and stores way more books than I could carry along. As an Amazon Prime user (on both .com and .de, Amazon-addict here), I also have access to the free Kindle library, which offers tons of books at no cost.
9. Airline Pillow
Before I traveled internationally, I thought airline pillows were silly and anyone who used them looked like a doofus. Cue eating my words, because these suckers are essential. After sometime with a cheap U-shaped, bead filled pillow, I found the Travelrest inflatable airline pillow. I now look more ridiculous than those with the traditional neck pillow, but I love that it de(in)flates and rolls up for compactness, while also being long and offering that cuddle factor that I lose as a solo traveler.
10. Nexus 4
I love the Google Nexus series; Native Android is where it is at and the unlocked feature makes this phone perfect for international travelers. Upon arrival in the US, I just take out my German SIM card and slip in my American SIM so I can make calls and upload photos on Instagram at home without racking up my contracted German SIM. I am a bit gadget-obsessed, usually wanting a new phone after a year, but I've had this puppy a year-and-a-half now and am one satisfied customer.
11. Passport & Visas
Saving the most essential for last, my valid passport and German residence permit are must-haves while traveling, making it easy to return to each of my homes.

What necessities do you pack on a long haul travel day?

31 comments
I wish I was this organised on my trips home! I always leave packing until the last minute and never learn my lesson.
ReplyDeleteHave a good journey home :)
i had no idea you could bring blunt tip scissors!! and welcome HOME!
ReplyDeleteI always thought those pillows were silly as well but they are life savers! I hate long flights and I usually read as much as possible because I am never able to sleep. So I usually read at least one book and some magazines. And watch a movie once in a while. Love that you started crocheting!
ReplyDeleteSo how did you come about having an American SIM? I know you talked before about using google calls (I forget how that works) but I think bc I had Verizon there is no SIM to take out to put in my unlocked indian cell. grr. I have done my india flight 4 times now, and it's 4 different flights with the longest being a 16 hr Bombay to NYC one- KILL ME!! lol I also have a blow up pillow
ReplyDeleteI am jealous you can afford to and have time off to go home so often - I haven't been to the US since September of 2012!!
ReplyDeleteGave an awesome trip home! I can't wait to make my trip back home. I know what you mean by being able to make the trip home in your sleep, I have done the same route so many times before as well.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to know I'm not the only traveler who swears by cash. I've talked to quite a few people lately who are relying more on plastic while overseas. I've used my cards overseas before, but only when I had to. I'd rather use cash!
ReplyDeleteI don't think I realized there was a Kindle library. I'm going to have to check that out!
Have fun in Texas!
ReplyDeleteI have an inflatable neck pillow too and I agree: it is gold on overnight flights - the only way that I get good sleep!
ReplyDeleteAlways nice to see a fellow crocheter! I love being able to knit/crochet while marathoning tv shows.
ReplyDeleteI had no idea ANY scissors were approved for flying. Good to know!
ReplyDeleteHave a great trip home.
we haven't been back since we got here in 2012! did you find a good deal? have a safe trip!
ReplyDeleteMy bag has many of the same things that yours has, but I also tend to go with a camera, and I've replaced my Kindle with an iPad Mini- it handles Kindle duties as well as being a quick way to store television shows I haven't watched yet, and as a bonus I can move pictures directly from my camera's SD card to the iPad with a tiny adaptor that plugs into the bottom.
ReplyDeleteI try to take something that will allow me to open up my iPhone to get at my SIM card because I have two, one for Spain and one for the U.S. But it isn't easy; the best thing is a pin or a safety pin, which ... I think are allowed, but I always get scared won't be.
ReplyDeleteUghh when I comment and it doesn't save!
ReplyDeleteThe point was I have the same inflateable pillow (which I got off amazon! Hollllerr!) and I love it!!
Have fun in Tejas!!
I always use the needle part on an earring :)
ReplyDeleteYep, I arrived home with my scissors, but these are the one's you'd send off to Kindergarten with your child.
ReplyDeleteI found a great deal, $736 round trip and direct with United. I pretty much stalk Kayak when I'm looking to go home, but honestly, I've never paid over $900!
ReplyDeleteI can't lie, half of my flights are 100% supported by friends and family, but then sometimes you score a good deal. I couldn't bear not going home. I love Germany but my Texas life still has a huge hold on me.
ReplyDeleteThis time, I used ReadySIM and I am already 100% satisfied. You can ship to the US, or anywhere in the world, and it is activated by text message. The data works well, too! I never had Verizon though, but now I am a total boycotter or anyone who does not use SIM cards. Open source all-the-way.
ReplyDeleteOh, and four different flights... I can't even. Only sleeping pills make those long flight legs half bearable.
ReplyDeleteOh no, I hate when that happens to me on other blogs. I wonder what the dealio is, dangit Disqus! Glad you finally got through. Thanks Kim!! I'm already enjoying it.
ReplyDeleteI've recently added a Chromebook to the collection, so we'll see how I use that in the mix and if I choose to travel with it. It's always nice to feel like you can do something productive, even if it's just sorting through photos.
ReplyDeleteGermany has converted me to a cash user because SO many places still only accept cash. I love it though because it's so easy, you don't need to worry about exchange rates or transaction fees, and you can see exactly how much you're spending.
ReplyDeleteThat's efficiency right there, but you're pretty much a pro. The Nexus is a good tip, I'm always at a loss about what to do at home and if I try to pull out my ancient Razr to get a SIM card the next time, I think they'll laugh me out of the phone store. :) Have a great time in the US and load up on the Tex-Mex for all of us!
ReplyDeleteI've heard really good things about the Chromebooks. I look forward to your thoughts on it.
ReplyDeleteFor trips outside of Germany other than the US, I have a EuropaSim (europasim.com, I think) and it works beautifully. It's three euros per day *only* on the days that you activate cellular data for it, and it works in 47 countries. That three euros gives you something like 500 Mb of data, and a small amount of telephone and sms as well.
ReplyDeleteI order my card from ReadySIM, so I don't even have to go to the phone store :) The service is pretty great, too!
ReplyDeleteMy three must haves: passport, kindle, anti-bac gel :)
ReplyDeleteAny chance you'll post some crochet tutorials?
I honestly would never have thought of bringing craft supplies along with me on a flight. It's such a smart idea!
ReplyDeleteOooh will definitely have to use this next time I travel to another European country. I hate not having data in neighboring countries. Although I did read that Europe is going to make it where phones work across EU on your plan in 2015 I believe.
ReplyDelete