LAUNCHED: SPEAKING DENGLISH

By Unknown - 4:22 PM

After a week of being quietly online, I think it's time for an official launch of Speaking Denglish!

What happened to ifs ands & butts?


Although ifs ands & butts made for some good play on words, I felt in no longer defined the purpose of my blog and what I'm doing with it. If you can believe it, ifs ands & butts was online for over four years. I began it merely out of necessity to display some writing as a PR student. Despite my studies, I knew nothing about the blogging community (nor can you ever without being an active participant) and throughout the years, I evolved as a writer, designer, and brand. I became associated with au pairing, which was great during the time and immediately after, but it's been two years and the au pair process evolved. It is something I can no longer provide advice on, nor do I want it to be a part of my brand.

ifs ands & butts still lives amongst the Interwebs, but as an archived file within Speaking Denglish. I surely did not want to lose my work and memories, but I wanted a (almost) fresh slate and chance to start over, knowing what I know about blogging now.

Why Speaking Denglish?


Denglish, a language mashup of German and English, metaphorically represents my life and blog content. I am an expat, or Texpat (Texan Expat), living long-term in a foreign country. I speak Denglish, dropping German words in my English conversation and vice-versa.

Mission Statement


To provide accurate and helpful information for other expats and those interested in expat life, particularly in Germany, whilst also keeping an online memory book to share with friends and family all over the world.

Why today?


Well, I heavily considered this blog switch for ages and it finally just seemed 100 percent right. Also, it's my 25th birthday and Easter Sunday. I'd say it's a pretty good day for a blog launch (despite any and every marketer ever knowing this is a terrible day to launch as no one is online).

Please, take a look around.


I am still working out some bugs with my trusty coding guy, but I could not hold in my excitement anymore. Broken links and redirects will take about another week to properly sort out, but I'm back to blogging and couldn't be happier. For those that look really well, there's some pretty damn good Easter Eggs hidden somewhere on my blog as a reward to you.

But that's not all...


For those who don't find a lucky easter egg, I'll give you another chance to achieve greatness. Yes, greatness is only $25 smackers and a sidebar spot.



Thank you to all of my ifs ands & butts readers who emailed and commented encouraging me to follow my heart and stomach instead of my head, to all of those who stuck around anyway, to my offline readers who keep encouraging me to pursue this hobby by reminding me of their readership, and to everyone who's every answered questions in online forums - you're helping more people than you realize!

Follow Along: FACEBOOK | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | GOOGLE+ | BLOGLOVIN' | FEEDLY

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

23 comments

  1. Yay! Like a brand new chick hatching out of an egg!
    I love the new design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday and Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy birthday and congrats! love the new name and look!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting, good for you! I look forward to reading along this new brand of yours...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alles Gute!!!
    I was confused with the name but now I know why :) Just wondering though, since you mentioned a while ago that you were PR4, now that you changed domain, aren't you back to PR0? But I get your reasons and I love the name! I think it really suits what the blog is about :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it…and the das button. Happy birthday, mujer!! I even passed through Germany on your big day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks good!!! Congrats on the new site and Happy Birthday!!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. HER DAVID DER BIERMEISTER DASApril 20, 2014 at 11:15 PM

    GUTTON DAY FRALEIN AL, HOWZ IT GEHEN. I SEEM TO BE HAVING EIN PROBLEM. I CAN'T REGISTER FOR MY SWANZIG FUMPH BUCKS. I'M JE NACH ON IT TO GO BUY SOME CHEESE DIPPIN FROMIN THE GUADELHARASCHTEIN. PLEASE BERATIN.

    ReplyDelete
  9. HER DAVID DER BIERMEISTER DASApril 20, 2014 at 11:24 PM

    OK, NEVERMIND. I VERSTANDIN DONE! AUFWEIDERSTAINE

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats. Also major LOL @ the comments below :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy happy birthday, Alex! Hope you had a very special day! I love the new blog name and design!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! I hope you had an amazing birthday - I can't wait to read about this new chapter at Speaking Denglish

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday and congrats on the change! Can't wait to see what's in store!

    ReplyDelete
  14. lovin' the new site! glad you found a way to keep all your old stuff. maybe this change will me a lucky winner of your contest finally!

    ReplyDelete
  15. love the rebranding! thanks so much for the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yesssssssssss I love it!! Congrats and happy birthday! xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the new name and the Dirndl-cowboy-boots-fusion-logo! Brilliant! Congrats and happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE IT! it looks so so good!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I did a 301 Redirect, which according to Google themselves should preserve page rank once it all registers, but we shall see. Fingers crossed (or thumbs tucked)!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Everything looks awesome! So pleased for you that you made the move because I'm loving everything I see so far. You brought back the blonde character, right? I seem to remember you mentioning that before!
    I have something similar in the works right now and although it's driving me up the wall, seeing this has made me realise change is worth it :).

    ReplyDelete
  21. Frau Dietz (Eating Wiesbaden)April 22, 2014 at 6:53 PM

    Looks great! Congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks so much - means a lot coming from a design queen!

    She was just black and white before, so I cleaned her up, gave her some cowboy boots, and color :) Not so easy to do on a track pad. Good thing I have a lot of time on my hands...

    ReplyDelete