HIGH TEA IN LONDON, FROM A NON-TEA DRINKER'S PERSPECTIVE

By Unknown - 1:29 AM

I was back, and then gone again. I will not be traveling again for a while, mainly because I forgot what a pain in the ass an absolute wallet drain it can be (thanks for the reminder, London). Nevertheless, I had a spectacular past 10 days with two of my best friends in the world. Seeing people from home on the reg is definitely what keeps me sane abroad, so thank you guys who make it here, and you others who include me in their weddings and force me to come home. Until my trip home in May though, I think I will be pretty content here on my new couch I took off the street for my room (story for another day).

In London, we pretty much avoided all things touristy... well, besides Harrods, who wants to miss Harrods? It was my second trip to London and above all things, I was there to spend time with my dear friend Shushu, who also happens to be my next bridesmaid appearance in May, not landmark hop. Wow, I am really jumbled today. I think it's because I have not blogged in what seems like ages and I feel like I have so much to share. Anyway, back to the topic.

Before the trip, Shushu sent me the London tourism site and firmly stated that "we will no be doing any of these things." I concurred, because the last thing I wanted to do was be running all over the city trying to maze among the idiots taking photos with their tablets. Shushu does enjoy herself some high tea though and I was down to give it a try. I am not a tea drinker (or coffee for that matter, although I have recently began enjoying myself a cappuccino here and there). I was eager to see what all the fuss was about though. If anyone can fuss about these little London luxuries, it's Lauren from Aspiring Kennedy. We referenced her "To a Tea" series and quickly decided to go all-out at Fortnum & Mason.

Fortnum & Mason is another one of London's fabulous department stores, except it solely focuses on foods, teas, china, and home goods. It alone is a sight to see, but their afternoon tea was certainly our reason for going. We dined in the Diamond Jubilee Tea Room and ate off the High Tea menu because we could not resist the sound of a Lobster Bisque Omelette. I ordered the apple green tea, and despite not liking teas, I was able to drink a couple cups and enjoy the energy boost.

We both consider ourselves well-mannered young women, well, at least when we want to be, but the tea thing definitely put us to the test. We were a bit baffled by the appearance of a small pastry fork and each forgot (twice!) to put the filter above our tea when pouring. After our main course came the scones and tiny pastries, which we could eat unlimited amounts of - unlimited meant nothing though, as we could not even finish tower one. The scones I'd tasted previously certainly never impressed me. I remembered scones being hard, almost like a stale biscuit with weird ingredients. These scones at Fortnum & Mason changed my scone-hard heart. They were light and fluffy, like a good ole southern buttermilk biscuit. The clotted cream served alongside made them extra special, and apparently the jam was bomb, too, however, I did not try it as I have a lifelong-standing fear of jelly and refuse to touch the stuff (I'm so mature, I know). The pastries atop the tower were eclectic and non-traditional, which was a little much for me since I do not typically enjoy fruit in my desserts (exceptions: banana, apple). They were a fun taste-testing experience though. The rose eclair in particular took us by a nice surprise until I got a little weirded-out by the sensation of eating something I traditional associate with smelling.

The setting itself made me feel l like I was at yet another luncheon hosted by some Houston country club, but then I was reminded that the country clubs are probably trying to look like London. The USA is funny in the best way. For 44 GBP, the meal is certainly a splurge, but it sure fulfilled our afternoon tea experience and if you have a bottomless stomach and affection for scones, I can particularly recommend an afternoon of polite conversation (confession: ours was not, hello bathroom talk), warm tea, and delightful pastries.

















High Tea Scones London


Would you indulge in tea tea as a London experience?

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

23 comments

  1. I am not a big fan of tea but would want to try high tea in London, mostly for all the deserts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only splurge on tea when my mom is in town (so she can pay). Lol. It's definitely fun to do, especially when you're in England!

    ReplyDelete
  3. & yet again, another excellent adventure & memory.


    Pinky finger out when sipping tea. Could have sworn I already instructed you accordingly?


    Miss, love, proud of, and happy for, you.


    Always,


    Daddio

    ReplyDelete
  4. LMAO at your description of scones! You're right. I'm a Brit and I'm baffled by them, along with; spotted dick, eccles cakes, rock cakes, xmas pud, xmas cake and mince pies! If I'm going to eat the cals I want it to taste good and look pretty... : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, I would love to do this. Looks like my kind of place! Glad you had a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HOLY EXPENSIVE!!! I'm sure it was totally awesome, though! I think my number one problem when I travel is the fact that I always convert everything into USD even though that's the worst idea ever. lol! This seriously sounds and looks like it was an awesome experience. London is seriously calling my name.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tea was one of the things we did when in London! It wasn't even planned, but my husband got tired of walking. The scones and clotted cream were amazing - if we lived there (and were rich) we would have tea every day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So fun. I love the colour of that china. An afternoon like this is pretty much a dream to me. I love tea… I've been drinking tea since I was 12 or younger!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a quintessentially English experience... I'd also like to tick it off my list at least once in my life. Although I doubt I'd be able to stick to polite conversation either ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha I think we said "if we were rich" 4x a day that city is a killer, but the extravagance is certainly worth the splurge on vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They even had a vegan tea menu!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha the problem is if you don't convert to USD while traveling in London, everything will seem not SO bad, and then 1.67x that turns out to be indeed terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do I even want to know what spotted dick is? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so cool! I need to go and visit!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Svenja @ happybluebirdFebruary 21, 2014 at 1:21 PM

    I definitely would try out one of the tea rooms. Looks delicious!! Also we donot have such things over here (apart from Ritz Carlton alike places - maybe) jn Germany, so I will be in, next London visit for me is scheduled for May :-) X

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love tea!! you gotta have tea in london! this looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I dream of having tea in London! Those teacups look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Visting friends is definitely the best – I hope you have a wonderful time in London! Of course, it’s hard not to – such a great city!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Afternoon tea is a MUST in England (unless you actually live there, in which case it gets old very fast ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh goodness that looks amazing. I LOVE tea, I drink a lot of it too. I think this would be such a fun thing to add to a trip to London.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh if you are a tea drinker, you can't miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. How civilized!
    P.S. I never miss Harrods either :)

    ReplyDelete