My tastebuds enjoy flavor explosions and Tex-Mex and Asian cuisine are always sure satisfiers. I don't think I ever ate Thai food until moving to Germany, but since the Thai restaurants completely blow any other Asian options away here, I quickly became addicted to this cuisine and it's appreciation for all things cilantro and spicy much like my Tex-Mex home flavors. It took me awhile to branch out past Pad Thai (it's just so damn good), but once I started throwing other dishes like glass noodle and Tom Yum soups and red and green curries into the mix, my cravings only grew more frequent. Alternating between Thai places in Karlsruhe gets expensive, so recently I decided it was time to start experimenting with Thai food in my own kitchen.
Cooking Asian food can be intimidating, which is why I started with a soup. This soup is packed with Thai flavors like green curry, red chilies, and cilantro. This soup can definitely be served as a main course since it is packed with chicken and rice noodles.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 green (spring) onions, chopped
- 2 red Thai chilies, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 heaping tablespoons green curry paste
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 1 can creamy coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced into strips
- 4 ounces rice noodles, broken in half
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced thinly across
- 2 fresh limes, juiced
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat oil in large soup pot over medium to high heat with green onions.
- Add in chilies, garlic, and green curry paste shortly after.
- Once sautéed, add chicken broth, creamy coconut milk, and the fish sauce.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, throw in the sliced red bell peppers and rice noodles and simmer until the noodles are al dente.
- Add the sliced chicken into the warm soup and simmer until cooked through (around 3 minutes).
- Stir in the lime juice and cilantro.
- Serve warm.
Do you ever cook Asian food at home?

17 comments
Looks incredibly delicious!
ReplyDeleteCreamy coconut milk? Is there any other kind?
Some good Thai food in your hometown, mostly inner loop, but near West side a possible also.
Wasn't aware of your hankering for spicy food. Next time you're home, you'll need to try Molina's salsa with a Margarita. The location on Buffalo Speedway was allegedly GWHB's favorite.
Also, at Spec's Liquor Warehouse, you can find 'Tejano brand's habanero salsa. That would test your food/heat meter and good stuff.
Proud of, and for, you.
Love always,
Daddio
This looks sooo good!!
ReplyDeleteUmm, cilantro is coriander, right?
do you understand this is like my favorite food but I'm too scared to make it? i knew you would be my hero.
ReplyDeleteYes :) I just feel too weird typing coriander here. It's so easy! I'm making it again tonight.
ReplyDeleteThis is not an area I've ever ventured when it comes to cooking for myself, but you make it look less intimidating. I may have to try this. And Tuesday is my grocery day… soooo now I have no excuse.
ReplyDeleteI love Thai food and anything with curry paste in it. I made a vegan Pad Thai last night! So delicious!
ReplyDeleteNom. Now if only I can find some spicy stuff in spice-forsaken Russia.
ReplyDeleteIt's actually pretty difficult in Germany as well at the normal supermarkets, luckily there are several Asian markets to fill the void!
ReplyDeleteYum!!!
ReplyDeletethis looks beyond amazing. I'll just have to take out the chicken :)
ReplyDeleteThis is one of my fav Thai dishes! I could eat green curry flavored anything all the time! You've inspired me to make a green curry again ASAP! It's been too long!
ReplyDeleteYum! And I can find all these ingredients here in Warsaw too! Surprisingly we have a number of really good Thai and Vietnamese places here. I love having a giant bowl of pho for only $4 or $5! :-) Sadly, Tex-Mex is one cuisine that is still lacking here!
ReplyDeleteOh wow! Pho will cost a solid €10 here, but certainly worth the splurge every now and then! Tex-Mex here is a joke as well.
ReplyDeleteThis looks awesome! I have been making Indian food at home a lot lately, but haven't given Thai a try yet. As a Texan (and a San Antonian now, at that), spicy foods are right up my alley!
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean, this Texan certainly misses her spicey food in Germany!
ReplyDeleteMaking this! I cook Thai a couple times a month and I freaking LOVE it!
ReplyDeleteYou can also do it with red curry, I'm an addict.
ReplyDelete