ONE DAY IN MÁLAGA, SPAIN

By Unknown - 7:09 PM

I hate to be so Plain Jane and blog from vacation point A to Z, but I do not hate it enough to not do it.

'Maggie's Last Hurrah', as we often referred to the trip in the planning phases, began in Málaga, Spain. The Andalusian city worked its way onto the itinerary for no other reason than another cheap Ryanair flight temptation, but we made sure to soak up the sunshine and stuff our bellies in the 24 hours we spent in Málaga.I normally do tons of research before a trip. Ok, fine that's an exaggeration, but I usually at least grab some reading material for the plane. This trip though I was super lazy about it knowing that we had a tour guide for the entire Morocco excursion, so we arrived in Pablo Picasso's birth city plan-less and expectation-less.

The sixth largest city in Spain, Málaga seems much smaller, despite the line-up of high-rises along the beachfront property and the airport with more check-in windows than they could dream of using. The city is very walkable, has super shopping options, and an absolute pleasure to stroll. The streets in the main areas of town are glossed up and cleanly, perfect for all the pedestrians.






Málaga Cathedral


We arrived pre-check-in hour at our hostel after a 6 am flight departure in Baden-Baden earlier that morning. Loads off our backs and a map in hand, we set out to the Alcazaba after deciding to skip entry into the Málaga Cathedral (once you've seen one cathedral, you've seen 'em all #amiright or #amiright?). The Alcazaba is an 11th century Moorish castle and fortress sitting atop a hill with spectacular panoramic city views and beautiful gardens throughout.


Alcazaba




The "climb" to the top worked up an appetite and as with any coastal city, the decision for lunch was easy: find seafood on the beach. Due to low season, this task proved to be more difficult than we initially imagined, but after a trek down the nearly deserted beach on the 75F and sunny day, we found a modern, open air dining option. Despite it looking like a tourist trap, I was too excited about the open fire in a boat under a hut for their grilling to skip out.


Espetos, which are whole sardines grilled over open fire with garlic, are a regionally speciality. Normally, I prefer my fish filleted and offer the bone, but I took the dive and ate my first sardine. It was no Chilean Sea Bass, but I can confidently say they were a treat since I never get eat fish other than salmon here in Germany. It also helped that we had a jug of yumm-o Sangria to wash it down.




The Beach: La Malagueta




Chiringuito El Cachalote





Espetos



As with any first day of vacation, the eating and drinking just did not really stop from there (no? just me?). We were excited to get our first real tapas experience (apparently missed this in my other trips to Barcelona and Madrid). We found a back alley restaurant called Be Happy, where many locals were hanging out. It was pretty obvious why once we saw the €2 for a tapa and a beer special. Sold! It was shortly double sold when we discovered the Cubata: a €3.50 cocktail where they bring out the liquor and your mixer and the waiter pours until you say stop - my kind of drink.




We eventually headed over to another tapas bar, where our previous waiter came in and begged us to come back to Be Happy. Needless to say, he enjoyed our presence. We enjoyed his, too, after he introduced us to a popular chupito (shot) in Spain: vodka + caramel.


We had to skip out on the late Spanish night life to wake up at 6 to begin our Moroccan adventure. It was A-Ok with me though. I might be able to handle the pub life, but pub life hours still have nothing on the wild Spanish nightlife.


Overall, Málaga lacked the old charm of other Spanish tourist destinations, but who can complain about an affordable, clean, lively city with a beach that looks like that? Not me, that's certain.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

20 comments

  1. this beach definitely seems prettier than the one in barcelona. and looks like you had fun despite you're lack of planning. and yes, who cares if it isn't as historical, if it's fun, sometimes we just need that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE TAPAS! haha If I ever make it back to Spain, that is all I am eating, haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHAHAH the waiter asked you to come back!? I love that. You guys must have been good customers :) I am really liking the sounds of this vodka caramel business!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sarainlepetitvillageNovember 12, 2013 at 8:33 AM

    Look at that sunny blue sky! I could use a little Malaga in my life right about now... and sangria :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaaah, it looks so warm! (I just had to google 75°F to find out how warm).

    I ate sardines in Portugal. They're nice... but soooo many bones!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alex, Alex, Alex - you can't eat sardines in months with the letter R! Yes, you can, but they're not as good. I was in Málaga last weekend, and it pained me to not eat any espetos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We LOVED Malaga! It was one of our cruise stops, but I wish we'd had more than a day! I could have enjoyed that beach for much, much longer! Glad you had a fab time! YAY FOR SANGRIA! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely photos! I was a bit like you, a few years ago I spent half a day in Malaga as it was a cheap way to fly out after being in Granada. I just expected it to be a transport hub sort of city, but it's lovely! And I agree with you on the church thing - I call most churches ABCs - 'Another Bloody Church'.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another excellent adventure!

    Seems you have chosen to ignore my advice about removing sunglasses to show off your baby blues?

    All my fondest memories seem to include you? Thanks for creating another.

    Love you, proud of, and for, you.

    Always,

    Daddio

    ReplyDelete
  10. The weather looks so beautiful! This post has me itching to get to Spain to have tapas and enjoy a beach!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the overlook point photo! (And the cocktail one, of course.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm headed to Malaga the weekend after next for a full week of soaking up Andalusian sun - I'll be taking side trips to Granada, Cordoba, and Seville. Thanks for the preview of places I'll want to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never been there but I love your pictures! I really need some sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahh, S U N .
    How nice is that. Here November blues is on big times, so soaking up in a few sunny pictures is a pleasure!!
    Love all your photos, and Malaga is certainly a place to go to one time.

    X

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love all the bold blues in your pictures!!! I am sooo looking forward to exploring Spain next summer! The sardines though?! Not sure I could get those down.

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG, seeing the beautiful weather in Spain is killing me! There's nothing but rain in Norway! ;) I would do a lot to be at a beach in sunny weather now and to wash down delicious tapas with a cocktail afterwards - looks like a great start to your trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I personally like you blogging about each place :) I just keep adding locations to my visit one day list. This looks like such a beautiful place...although...the fish I will probably skip.

    ReplyDelete
  18. haha love the ABC acronym, I'm definitely going to have to spread that one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have cousins that live in Spain...One of them even works for Discovery Channel Europe. I think I was on the show, but whenever I try to find it, I can only find the American stuff. Those fish do not look that appetizing...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Discovery Channel Europe sounds like the coolest job around!

    ReplyDelete