MOVING MOMENT IN MOROCCO

By Unknown - 7:09 PM

Visiting countries where you constantly see the struggle of the citizens is no walk in the park. It pulls at your deepest emotions, making you feel guilty for every thing you ever took/take for granted. I guess I should stop saying you, and starting saying me. It only gets harder when "no" becomes the most common word out of your mouth walking the streets. The people know you have money with you and that you are willing to spend it. Upon entering a market in Morocco, you are immediately approached and asked what you are looking for and then followed around and questioned until you a) buy something b) get the hell out of there. There's no polite way to stop the push for sales: no "I'm just browsing, but thank you".

After spending a day reiterating firm "NO!"s while wandering the medina in Fes, we were pretty tired of being harassed to spend our money. After Fes, we had made yet another long bus drive out to Erfoud, the "Gate of the Sahara Desert". Before heading to the desert, we met a local member of the Berber people in town to explore. He took us into a kasbah, an old islamic city-fortress, that is still inhabited by people today. He was bringing us to his family's handmade Berber rug shop within the kasbah, but along the way something special happened.

A pair of young boys were playing together and grew intrigued by our group passing through. They saw our cameras and began to pose. One of the boys ran off shortly after, but the other started shouting something repetitively. We quickly assumed he was asking for money, as we had encountered over and over again the previous day. Our group began to move on to the next square, but Yolanda, a dutch student traveling with us asked our Berber guide what he was saying. He told us that he was asking for a pen.

Our coordinator, Amanda, dug through her purse, found one, and waved over the boy. The expression on his face melted every single one of our hearts. He was gleaming. All he wanted was a simple drawing tool, something I had by the boxes as a child in the form of pens, pencils, markers, crayons, and paints. Upon receiving it, he promptly kissed Amanda on the cheek and ran off, his energy affecting every group member.





Moroccan Boy



Moroccan Moment

IMG_8254

IMG_8255

What is the most special moment you experienced while traveling?

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

20 comments

  1. It's amazing what simple things we take for granted. We had someone from a mission trip talk about how far they had to walk to water. I walk to few feet to the faucet. Makes you think. Such a cool moment for you to see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this tugged at my heart strings

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3rd world travel is certainly different whether it be for business or leisure.

    Was in a West African country & residing in a Hotel & having difficulty with many things we take for granted, including, but not limited to soap, fresh towels, dry-cleaning & clean glassware among them.

    Finally found my 'Houseboy', demonstrated to him that which I desired and proffered some local currency.

    Thereafter, I encountered said Houseboy in the lobby whereupon Houseboy dropped and kissed my hand whilst in the presence of a business associate. The associate asked what that was about? I explained I had given the Houseboy some cash to assure some creature comforts. The associate asked, 'How much'? When I disclosed the amount, it was explained to me I had given said Houseboy the equivalent of a month's pay.

    Thank goodness for generous employers and expense accounts.

    Stay safe, moderate, prudent & kind.

    Love, proud of, and for, you.

    Always,

    Daddio

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful story and amazing pictures capturing the moment! Thanks so much for sharing, that's what travel is all about!

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg! this made me tear up. he just wanted a pen. that really pulls out your heart strings to not really understand what that must feel like

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just teared up again thinking about it. <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwwww such a great story. I'm glad it was a pen. I hate the horrible cycle of first world guilt versus the (usually) silent rage of being treated as a free human ATM wherever I go. Nice work on the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goodness, what a great reminder to count our blessings and to always give to others, no matter how small it may seem. It CAN obviously make someone else very happy. :) What a great experience, Alex!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what an amazing experience!
    I have to confess, I've never been to a country where the people are that poor... even though my step dad is from Sierra Leone! (His family are not really poor though).
    My Ukranian family (who I have never met) still use horses on their farm because they can't afford machines, and the toilet is outdoors. It's the same farm my grandad was born on nearly 92 years ago (and wow... I've just realised my grandad would have been turning 92 next year!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's not about how poor the boy's family is. It's a game that they play.
    Just as much as the author is (quite rightly) bragging about giving a pen to a Moroccan boy, the next day, the boy went to school and bragged about being given a Pen by a tourist.

    It really is a game to see how many pens each one can get from Tourists.

    Rather like, that with the adults in Morocco, it is a game to see how much money can be begged from tourists.

    It's in the culture to automatically ask for something from a tourist.

    I know. I lived there for 5 years.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think I've ever experienced anything like this when traveling, what a sweet little boy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this story! When I travel in a country where people seem to only care about my money, sometimes there's a temptation to start closing off to people because saying "no" over and over is so exhausting. Stories like this are exactly why it's important to remain open.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sweet! Thanks for sharing this! I don't think I have ever experienced anything like that!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aww, what a lovely moment! Great pictures too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. If I ever find myself in Morocco, I will take a crap ton of pens with me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. They also love to be given postcards which you bring from your hometown.

    ReplyDelete
  17. beautiful post. I enjoy reading these kind of things.
    I think this is one of the reasons they say that one of the best ways to learn is by traveling. You get to see totally new and different things; and you realize what a small world you were living in, you see how things are just things...and start feeling guilty of that morning you cursed the heavens when realizing you were out of coffee or milk for that matter... because when you see people or kids like these... they have nothing..and yet, they manage to put a smile on their faces.
    I think I would have cried if I had been there and handed the pen to that kid... must have been emotional.... heavy stuff... I can't wait to go on an adventure to Morocco, it's been on my bucket list for years.. thanks for sharing your experience and photos!

    ReplyDelete