I had so much fun digging through all my travel photos for my first capture the color, I realized I had to narrow it down to photos of Germany; the world is just too colorful! This project also reminded me that I will be picking my SLR back up on my trip home in a couple of weeks. I really hate lugging around the bulky camera, but the photos come out so much better.
I chose Switzerland for the second installation because this nation is photogenic as they come. Just scrolling through all the photos made me extra sad that my trip last weekend did not work out. I feel so lucky to live a short drive away from this land filled completely with Alps and gorgeous glacial lakes. I made the 2.5 hour drive from Houston <-> Austin frequently during my college years, so it's funny to think that Switzerland is the same distance from me now.
Gelb // Yellow
Lucerne. Raise your hand if you hear Switzerland and think of cheese? Fondue experiences may be available worldwide thanks to the likes of the melting pot, but only in Schweiz (german) can you really have the true, mountain cabin, traditional cheese and meat fondue experience. The cheese was so rich, thick, and creamy, the single pot was even too much, but was savored anyway.
Rot // Red
Interlaken. Despite the recognizable red and white flag and the standard Swiss army knives, red is the color I least associate with the nation. To me, Switzerland is all about the nature. This capture happened in the wild as we watched a young Swiss boy in awe of all the hang gliders, paragliders, and skydivers making their descent into an open field.
Grün // Green
Interlaken. Summer in Switzerland is hard to beat. All around are hikers, bikers, and adrenaline junkies making the most of the sunshine. Come winter, these adventure seekers just throw on their skis, boards, or snow boots and continue getting their heart-pumping, but for me and my aversion to cold, the greenery of summer takes precedent.
Thun. I could not do this post without leaving out my favorite bridge in the tiny town of Thun. Although smaller than the more popular Chapel Bridge in Lucerne, it exuded more charm and less tourists. It's well worth a stop for anyone in and around Interlaken or Berne.
Weiß // White
Berne. In this Swiss capital, you will feel rich. Actually, you will probably feel poor in this expensive-for-foreigners nation, but the surroundings make you feel like you are walking among prestige and perfection. These charming cottages along the river are just mere examples of all the eye-candy surrounding the city.
Mount Pilatus. There is nothing purer than untouched snow. Along our sled route in Switzerland, huge fields of eat were easy to find and no Texas girl can resist the rare opportunity to make a snow angel.
Blau // Blue
Interlaken. I have nothing to say besides: bliss.
Mount Pilatus. The view from the very top was clouded (literally). This also makes you feel on top of the world, which feels pretty darn good.

24 comments
I can't believe you are so close to switzerland!! that makes me so jealous! and now i want fondue
ReplyDeleteJust awesome!!
ReplyDeleteI really love this series and can't wait to create my own!!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photos!
ReplyDeleteYour red is my fave, awesome shot!
ReplyDeleteAdore your shot for red! & your edition is making me miss the Alps dearly, I only had the chance to visit the Swiss Alps for a week, but am already planning my trip this Winter! One of the most beautiful places I've been to by far... & thanks for the tag, can't wait to do my own! :) x
ReplyDeleteAmazing!! and how cool is it that you are that close to Switzerland!
ReplyDeleteWow! Both Berne and Thun look incredible... and the view from those mountains. There are no words...
ReplyDeleteI've only been to Lugano in Switzerland, and it was soooo rainy, but the "blue" pictures describe it perfectly!!
ReplyDeleteReally, really enjoying observing your creative & artistic bent. It is something I wasn't encouraged to explore as a youth, although, like you, I won awards in art and writing.
ReplyDeleteRecently, I have been exploring writing and I find it challenging, but satisfying and cathartic.
Switzerland is magnificent. I traveled to Zurich and Geneva back during my 'international' days. In fact, my good friends at Houston Customs, confiscated a box of Cuban Macanudos acquired in Geneva. You have good taste in countries.
Anyway, continue to explore and pursue your passions. You have an eye for photography and a knack for writing and I believe it may be acquired, if not particularly encouraged or developed amongst a group of mathematicians, educators, accountants and lawyers.
Proud of, happy for, and loving, you.
Always,
Daddio
wow, beautiful places love all the images...so hard to choose just the right ones!
ReplyDeleteI'm inviting you to join us for Travel Photo Mondays, the link runs all week so I hope you can join us for the next installment?
Wanna go so bad! I've only been to Switzerland once but I'm pretty sure it's the most gorgeous place on the planet.
ReplyDeleteoh wowwww. I just got back from Switzerland last week and seeing these pictures makes me miss Le Suisse! It's such a beautiful country! Sitting in the SBB train and just watching the sceneries of the greens and lakes is breathtaking! I still need to visit Interlaken & Lucerne!
ReplyDeleteGorgeous photos! I haven't been to Berne yet. It looks beautiful. Most of my Switzerland trips were when I lived in Austria, so I've been to St. Gallen, Appenzell, Chur, Buchs (a village that borders on Lichtenstein) and, of course, Luzern. From Karlsruhe, I've only been to Basel. For some reason, we mostly seem to go to France rather than Switzerland.
ReplyDeleteI am in love with all of your capture the color posts. Absolutely beautiful, as always! I waited to go to Switzerland when I was studying abroad, but it was just too expensive for me at the time. It'll always be (one of the) one that got away. So now I'll just have to go back. ;)
ReplyDeleteAlso, I really dig the colors in the different languages. I feel like I learn something. :)
Gorgeous photos Alex. Thanks for tagging me - hope to have some time this weekend to see if I can find some photos to participate!
ReplyDeleteI'd love to visit Switzerland again! It's been a while, but I have been wanting to go back! It might make my wallet weep, but I'll probably be used to it after returning from Norway. ;) The picture from Mount Pilatus is breathtaking!
ReplyDeletexx
I like your selection for red! The kid's expression is priceless. :)
ReplyDeleteSwitzerland is on my list of places to go (like anywhere in Europe isn't...) love these photos. Espesh you in the snow. FUN! : )
ReplyDeleteI haven't officially been there yet! I still want to go, and you just make it even more appealing ;)
ReplyDeleteSwitzerland is such a beautiful place! I love your pictures!
ReplyDeleteAwesome photos! We just moved to Switzerland and love everything about it. Any travel tips or places to see?
ReplyDeleteEverywhere I have been is incredible: Interlaken for adventure, Thun for a beautiful small town, Bern for more city style, the options are endless :)
ReplyDelete[…] the following colors: blue, white, red, green, and yellow. I was nominated to participate from both Alex and […]
ReplyDelete