FISHING OFF THE COAST OF DINGLE, IRELAND

By Unknown - 8:11 PM

Dingle, Ireland, located in Kerry County on the Dingle Peninsula, is a tiny town of only 1700 people, but lively enough to rope in people from all over the world. On the sunniest of days in Ireland, I can certainly see why. Upon arriving in the quaint and colorful village, we were immediately drawn to the idea of two activities: 1) fishing and 2) eating fish.

I had purchased Lonely Planet: Ireland for Kindle for the trip, which highly recommended a fresh catch restaurant called Out of the Blue. It said if there's no fresh catch, they don't even open. This mantra makes for my kind of place. However, we had just eaten breakfast and decided a fishing trip would make a good time killer before our late lunch we could not stop thinking about.







Although we had no idea of how to organize this fishing trip, it came pretty easy when we stumbled upon a storefront near the water for Dingle Bay Charters, 25€/pp for a two hour trip. At first, we were a little skeptical, but after reading some TripAdvisor reviews that said not only can you keep the fish, but they will skin and filet them for you, we were sold! It only got better when only three other people were on the trip with us.

In the two hours on the boat, we moved around to a few different locations and caught mackerel, cod, and trout. We also through some smaller ones back (although the seagulls learned quickly to follow us and snatch them right up). Even if we had not caught anything, the scenery alone would probably have made the trip worth it.























There's a funny character around Dingle named Fungie. Fungie is a bottlenose dolphin who loves to show off and be around humans. He is the lone dolphin and the area and has been around since 1984 (although now, it is past a typical bottlenose dolphin's 25 lifespan). There are also boat tours that run just for Fungie sighting and if you don't see him, it's free! So naturally, we tried to spot Dingle's most famous resident, too, but the Fungie specific boats obstructed our view.



Arriving back at shore, we bagged up our fish filets and had plans of cooking them up when arriving at our final stop of the day, Lisdoonvarna, for dinner. However, disappointment struck when we walked up to the little Out of the Blue restaurant shack and found out they were only open for dinner. With two more stops ahead that day, we had to push aside our sorrows and accept the fact that we'd be missing out on their catch-of-the-day menu.

Luckily, our fishing boat company told us we could go get our fish cooked at John Benny's Pub. Apparently, we were supposed to notify them ahead of time, so we walked over to where we bought the fishing tickets and the woman locked up shop, and walked us over to John Benny's to tell her that we were with them (one of the several instances of out-of-their-way Irish kindness). For 10€, they cooked up our entire catch and served it up with fries, a bit of salad, and loads of fresh tartar sauce! Unfortunately, we were too full to try their seafood chowder, which is apparently the best in town.







I cannot conclude without mentioning how freaking sunny it was this day. It was nothing unusual to these gals from Texas and California, but the Irish simply did not know what to do with themselves. I did not pack sunscreen, so before the boat I wanted some, but everywhere in town it was either nowhere to be found or sold out. Everywhere we went, people were lobster-red (I went a different lobster red route, wearing my jacket on the boat to shield myself some).

The Irish sun came out to play and we were so.dang.lucky.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

19 comments

  1. What a fine experience!

    Reminds me of the time when on your very 1st fishing trip, with your Grandpa Buck, caught a freshwater catfish of around 5lbs. When asked what you wanted to do with the fish, you said, "Eat it!" and did. Some things never change?

    For sun protection, hats work well I have found and one avoids the mess/irritation of sunscreen.

    Love, miss & am proud of, and happy for, you.

    Always,

    Daddio

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohmygosh I was just gonna say how LUCKY you were... It was completely overcast and cloudy when we were in Dingle! Beautiful pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a brilliant idea, catch your meal and get it cooked! LoL at the lobster-red skin! It's no different in England. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. i need to visit this town. soon

    ReplyDelete
  5. that sounds like so much fun, catching your own fish and get it cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you went fishing in Dingle, what an amazing experience! When I was there I took the easy road and just went to Out of the Blue for dinner. (Actually a random American couple I had just met took me there for dinner with their handsome son, but that's another story.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dingle, Ireland --- had never heard of it before now but how can you not love a place called Dingle?

    ReplyDelete
  8. my heart just skips a beat when I see those rolling green hills. Such beautify scenerz and picturesque towns, wow!

    Irish kindness. You name it.
    When I went out once (when I was in Ireland, Clonakilty it was) I joined a party. After some time I left and someone asked me why, I said, I have to keep my student budget (ok, I was also tired). He said, ah, no, come on, take this, and have brill night out.
    He left me standing there my mouth wide open, with a 20 Euro note in my hand. When I wanted to reply I cannot take it he had disappeared. I tried to find him, but could not spot him somewhere.. This only happens in Ireland I guess..

    I shall be glad to go back to Ireland soon.

    How long have you been there in total?

    Love,
    Svenja xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. First off- Dingle... hilarious name!

    Secondly, these photos are AWESOME. Can't believe you got to go on an adventure like that! Looked incredible- kinda made me jealous. ;)

    Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. When it is sunny, there is no better place in the world than Ireland! The whole vibe of the place changes and everyone takes full advantage :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw I love this post! It so makes me want to go to Ireland! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ahhh, I'm so happy you went to Dingle!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love that scenery. I am not into fishing but I would not mind spending a day on a boat!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh you look like you have such a great outlook on life! You are beautiful, this fishing trip and all the pics are beautiful, and this blog... you guessed it, beautiful (and so fun)! Can't wait to following along on your adventures:-D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! What an incredible adventure!! I love how they cooked your fish up for you! How fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We only drove through Dingle as none of my friends wanted to stop.

    So cool that youwent fishing!! And glad you also got to experience the Irish friendliness too. It really is like nowhere else on Earth!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haha the name Dingle reminds me of the Santa Claus is Coming To Town Christmas Special.

    Looks like you had an amazing time... that is so awesome that a restaurant cooked up your catch for you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gosh - how was Out of the Blue? Did we seriously miss out (Please say no.)?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amazing story!! We spent 7 nights there :) fantastic!

    ReplyDelete