COLORED MADNESS: HOLIFEST KARLSRUHE

By Unknown - 3:30 AM

Back in the dead of winter, we heard that a Holi festival was coming to Karlsruhe. Holi, the Festival of Colours, is originally a Hindu festival celebrated in India and Nepal by throwing colors, among other rituals. We had no idea what we were getting ourselves into when purchasing tickets for the Holi Open Air Color Festival in Karlsruhe, but we knew it had to be fun. The original date was scheduled in May, but it was pushed back several times into July due to weather (Go Germany...).


Just the ultimate opportunity for ridiculous photos.


Yesterday, the day finally came. The gates to the festival opened at noon and the first round of colors were tossed at three. We got dressed in our whites, had a pregame brunch around 1 pm, and arrived at the festival around 4. The grounds were well outside the city, in an open field on a warm 85 degree day. Upon checking in, we were given a bag of colored powder and the option of taking an operating-style face mask as to not inhale the colors during the hourly tosses. Additional bags of color were available for 2.50€.

The tosses occurred on the hour, however, you could toss your colors whenever you felt the urge. There was a huge stage with a DJ playing techno/electro and coordinating the color blasts and food and drink stands surrounding the grounds. I am terrible at guessing numbers, but there were surely at least a couple thousand attendees.

I could not decide before going if this event would be cheesy or not, but in all honesty, it was a blast! Everyone had a great time throwing the colors, dancing, and day partying. Plus, at 21.50€/ticket, it was a solid and affordable day.

Advice if you ever attend a Holi festival:


Go with a group of people (and pregame it).
Wear things you don't mind getting ruined. Although their website said the color washes out, my white tank is definitely in the trash can right now.
Bring sunglasses to shield your eyes from the dust.
Bring a bandana to cover your mouth. Some of my friends are still coughing dust.
Protect your electronics. I used my phone to snap photos at the festival and I feel very lucky that it is still 100% functional. That dust gets everywhere.


















Inside the color cloud




Upon leaving the festival, they blew some of the excess colored dust off with a leaf blower.


What do you think? Something you'd be into?

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

18 comments

  1. Haha omg this looks awesome!! I'm glad your phone still works and you aren't coughing up dust. Love that they blow you with a leaf blower haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like an absolute blast! I wold totally want to go to something like this.
    xo, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks like so much fun! like the Color Run without all that pesky exercise business. ;) I think one of the Asian frats here tried hosting a Holifest in the spring, but it got rained out if I remember correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a Holi festival coming up in my area and I was thinking about going! looks awesome, maybe I will now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was rather 7-8k attendees than 2k!! Good pics. There are 2 more Holi's in Baden Wurtemberg this summer : Freiburg and Kehl, just sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That looks like a lot of fun! *goes to research nearest Holi festival"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Damn girl - your blog is changing my opinion of Germany. This looks so fun!! And I laughed so hard at the leaf blower. Whoever thought of that deserves a high five!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks and sounds amazing, it is still on my to-do list!

    xx
    Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am SOOOO jealous that you got to go!! For some reason, I missed the announcement in winter and by the time I heard about it tickets were already sold out. Looks like it was amazing fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It definitely looks like fun! I am just not sure if I would wear my Ray Ban sunglasses there. Aren't they ruined now? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. THIS looks so fun!! I wish I could have been there!!!!! Next year I need to book too, I will already set myself a reminder :-)

    Love
    Svenja

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've always wanted to go to one of these - they look like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are "getürkt", so i wasn't worried. But they are fine!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks soooo fun!!!!!
    Love the pictures. I should do it someday.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks so cool - some friends of ours went there as well. I'm sure that some of the people who went there will end up sneezing color for quite some time! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks like a ridiculously good time! That first photo of you is the best ever.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That does look like fun. I think I just missed one in Regensburg.

    If you want to do one of these again, I recommend a Loksak. (http://www.loksak.com/products/aloksak) It's a completely sealed bag that you can put your phone in- no dust will get in, but you can still use the phone. They're awesome.

    ReplyDelete