When in Sicily, you must check out Cefalù. We stayed in Palermo, but hopped on a 1 hour train (5.50-7.50€) for a day trip to the smaller town of Cefalù. The ride alone was incredible, following right along the Sicilian coastline.
The city is characterized by the large rock that is aptly named "The Rock" (but in Italian) which towers over the village. Atop The Rock sits the archeological remains of a castle and two-tiered fortress that was used to defend the city during its sieges. Cefalú was home to Greeks, Romans, Byzantines, Arabs, and Normans between 400 B.C. and 1200 A.D. It finally joined up with Italy in 1861 [source]. And you know what all this says to me? People wanted it. And why wouldn't you? It's purdy pretty.
You can hike up a whole load of steps to the peak of The Rock for one incredible view. It only took us about 30 minutes, with photo stops along the way, to make it to the top. I suggest bringing a picnic, which we regretfully did not, because the top of the hill has all sorts of benches and tables. You can hike even higher up and reach the castle. At the halfway point of the hike, there is a little hut, which served as a guardhouse back in the day and now serves as a ticket window. There a man asks where you are from and apparently snags 3€ from you. He didn't ask us to pay though - nice fellow. Anyway, I HIGHLY recommend doing this. You won't have sore legs the next day or any of that business (I know this, because if anyone would be sore, it'd be me).
The town also has a SUPER old cathedral, I'm talking started construction in 1131. The interior sits at more 16th century and is nothing spectacular, but it is a beautiful structure. We were extra fortunate to be in Cefalù on Easter Sunday and witnessed part of the catholic mass taking place (my first mass - check).
In general, Cefalù is just a perfect little Sicilian beach town, filled with super narrow streets with little traffic, little cafes and restaurants, a beautiful coastline with a narrow beach, colorful boats, outdoor seating - you can't go wrong, really.
Now, prepare yourself for the Cefalù photo dump.







view from the top - cathedral and all






This puppy was an absolute hoot. Massive as he is, he is only 6 months old. I saved Maggie from a close-encounter moment of intimacy with him while she was laying out. I kind of still regret telling her, it would have been hilarious. The pup as all ready to give her a good slobbery lick until I shouted "Maggie, the dog's about to make out with you."



What would you do in Sicily?

16 comments
Gorgeous shots! I especially love the second to last photo! Next time you head to Italy I`m coming with ;)
ReplyDeleteSome Snapshots Blog
Jess
literally my mouth was hanging open throughout this post. this is just gorgeous.
ReplyDeleteYou look fun!
ReplyDeleteThese photos are amazing! You've only inspired me even more to visit Sicily! It looks so beautiful. :)
ReplyDeletethat cathedral is insanely beautiful!!
ReplyDeleteyou have shorts on! After this winter, I'm doubting my ability to ever wear shorts here again!
ReplyDeleteBelieve I would have to follow your lead: sight-see & wine & dine. Looking at the water makes me think fishing trip in the Med., tuna perhaps?
ReplyDeleteWhat a great trip.
Noted the Normans reference: Are you aware that Normans is short for 'North Men' or 'Men of the North'. They also conquered Normandy and England, among others. The North would be Scandinavia and the Normans would be more familiarly known as Vikings. The longboat ruled the waves from around 900 AD to 1100 AD.
Proud of, and happy for, you.
Love always,
Daddio
So pretty there! The south of Italy is definitely on my travel bucket list (making out with dogs isn't, though - bahaha)! However, to be hoenst, I am a teensy bit jealous of the weather you had there... it was nothing like that in Florence ;-)
ReplyDeleteCome on girl! I may be there sooner rather than later if it doesn't freaking warm up in Germany!
ReplyDeleteSuch a great place! I would love to be there right now, I need some warmer weather! :)
ReplyDeleteAnd that dog is awesome!
It was pretty cool seeing mass there, I must say - even though I wasn't catholic.
ReplyDeleteWearing shorts was GLORIOUS. I will never forget that moment - because I don't see it happening ever again. Seriously my death by winter might happen.
ReplyDeleteWe got a GREAT deal on Ryanair out of Baden-Baden so be on the lookout. I also HIGHLY recommend the apartment we rented :)
ReplyDeleteLOVING these photos!!
ReplyDeleteOh you did share what you did....love your post and pics!
ReplyDeleteI was in Italy last month with my family and i saw the Sicily island and this is very nice place to see. I will go there again in August or September. Your photos are really amazing. Thanks for sharing the photos.
ReplyDelete