One of my favorite bloggers in the world and sure-to-be-best-friend (once I actually get my butt up to Norway so we can meet) tagged me in this biggest travel confessions game. She confessed to eating every local flavor of potato chips wherever she goes, which honestly cracks me up because I 100 precent get it. I love seeing all the flavors unique to certain countries. My first time in Europe, my travel buddy Debs could not get enough of the Paprika flavored Pringles.
How to Confess:
1. Post a photo(s) and description of your confession in a new post.
2. Tweet your post with hashtag #TravelConfession and follow/tweet @Traveling9to5
3. Tag 3-5 other travelers you'd love to see confess and tag them on Twitter
I Confess:
I am that loud American. I can't help it. Since living here, I have learned to keep the volume down, but when alcohol enters the picture, that's out the window. I've been loud since I was a kid. It is not, and was never, a cry for attention as I am an only child and received more attention than I wanted. I have moved passed wearing tennis shoes while traveling. I am over complaining about no air conditioning, but I tend to project more than your typical European citizen. I also converse candidly on public transportation. So sue me.

Lauren, from California, made the photo too since she's even louder than me, which is impressive.
Honorable Mentions
It so happens that sometimes I do things solely for the sake of taking pictures, particularly if they frighten me.

climbed a cherry blossom tree (Hamburg 2012)
Sometimes I rather sit out the Louvre (or whatever tourist attraction) and sit in a picturesque location and drink and talk to friends and locals.

Kreuzberg (Berlin 2011)
I re-wear shorts and pants 4+ days whilst backpacking.

Probably day 6 in a row in these shorts (Interlaken 2010)
I totally double up with people going through subway gates and sometimes ride black (only while traveling).

I also love the random shows people perform on the subways. (Paris 2010)
I LOVE souvenir shops.

Attending the Tour de France in a Tour de France T-shirt? Ultimate loser status. (Paris 2010)
Once I had to pee outside in Copenhagen and wiped with an important page out of our Eurail Time Table book. Restrooms can be hard to come by in Europe people.

our trusty Eurail timetable (Copenhagen 2011)

15 comments
ahhhh im so happy you did this!! and guess what? im a loud american too. i cant help it. im not ignorant or annoying (depends on who you ask i guess) but just confident and not shy when it comes to speaking to people!
ReplyDeleteSO funny you wiped with that in copenhagen. confession: ive done the same type of thing except i wiped with a page from my day planner ;)
I think you are totally perfect for Germany when you are a loud American! I love it! I have to say that I haven't met many loud Americans yet but I really really like loud people!
ReplyDeleteAnd I also like your other confessions because it shows me again how awesome you are!
I might wear pants more than 4 days in a row while on the road.... embarrassing? I think not!
ReplyDeletePahahaha, I love this. I sometimes travelled black, too. Oops! :)
ReplyDeleteIt's so funny how we have to learn how to speak more quietly in some parts of Europe. When I've had friends come to visit before, I've done a lot of shushing. But, the good thing about the South of France, particularly Marseille, everyone shouts all the time so as Americans, we blend :)
ReplyDeletethis is so fun, thanks for the tag :) i'll have to think of something...maybe delve through all of my photos :)
ReplyDeleteOh you're so dern cute! I'm loud too....i like to talk...a lot! haha:) i just tried those salt and vinegar pringles and my mouth is numb, wtf?! LOL
ReplyDeleteI can't tell by the pic how far up you are on that tree but it looks scary! i'm afraid of heights, i have bad dreams about falling off a really tall building...eekkk!
Haha, I need to confess that even without travelling, I wear jeans 4+ days. I just got back from Belgium (I live in the Netherlands) and somehow all my high school French vanished; when I was there I kept wanting to respond in Spanish in stead of French. All very confusing :p
ReplyDeleteI so get you on the language thing. I took Spanish for 7 years in school and now whenever I try to speak it, all that comes out is German!
ReplyDeleteI did notice that in Southern France I was welcomed with open arms, which was a complete contrast to my experience in Paris where we even heard a solid FU Americans.
ReplyDeleteReally the only embarrassing part is when they get all stretched out and baggy and I continue to parade about in them
ReplyDeleteOh no haha, whenever we actually get together the people around us have another thing coming...
ReplyDeleteI don't get why wearing tennis shoes while traveling is such a no-no. If you're planning on walking more than usual (which I always do in a new city,) why wouldn't you wear comfortable shoes?
ReplyDeleteAmen.
ReplyDeleteI agree! I usually already stick out as a complete tourist so why try to hide it more by killing my feet!
ReplyDelete