Over four years after living in Germany, it is pretty wild to look back on how different things are today. This weekend, I had to privilege of seeing two great friends from Karlsruhe who were in Munich for various things. These friends just know me in a different way (relaxed & carefree) than my friends in Munich (overachiever & on-the-go) and it was nostalgic reminiscing over all the great times we had together. In Karlsruhe, I had a lot of free time and spent at least three days per month in another city or country. Oh how times have changed: Three weeks ago I had to cancel my trip to Warsaw because too many conflicts arose here in Munich. Anyway, before I get too carried away on now and then (this would require a novel), I will get to the point.
I have not been to Berlin since moving to Germany. Munich and I always clicked better than Berlin. I spent three days there on a trip pre-move, but now that I know so much more about Germany, I am eager to get back to the Hauptstadt for one of those epic Berlin breaks to see what all the fuss is about.
Eat a Döner Kebab at Mustafa's
Döner and Berlin go hand-in-hand and from everything I hear, there's no better place to enjoy these delicious pitas. There's something perfect about these cheap eats that always seem to have a perfect bread-meat-sauce-veggie ratio and I can't help adding all sorts of chili to mine. There is also a variant that comes in a wrap, which I often refer to as the "Turkish Burrito"; if you know my love for burrito's this is nothing short of a pet name.
Let's just say this would not be my only must-eat food stop on the trip as I would look way too forward to all the deliciousness Berlin has to offer.
[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="2250"]
Club der Visionäre
When I was last in Berlin, I was there staying in a 10 person hostel room with some other friends from university. Wherever we tried to go out, our group was immediately turned down. We later learned that bouncers often don't let large groups in, so we eventually started going in places in twos or threes. Club der Visionäre was near our hostel and we stumbled upon it exploring Görlitzer Park. Since it was summer, it was the perfect place to hangout and we were envious seeing everyone spend time there from the pedestrian bridge that overlooked the backside. Nevertheless, the doormen were not having it with us, but next time Visionäre, I'm coming for ya.
[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="1920"]
Badeschiff
Also near Club der Visionäre is the Badeschiff. Somehow, none of us had swimsuits, so this experience was knocked off the list, but it was this pool and party located in the Spree is just too cool. Badeschiff also hosts lots of events to create a lively poolside atmosphere (i.e., party). I don't want to hear about it from the Berlin snobs. I much rather spend a day there and see for myself.
Karaoke in Mauerpark
This open air Karaoke next in Mauerpark that takes place on fair weather Sundays was by far my favorite experience in Berlin. People from all over the world performed and watched the various performances. There ranged from extraordinary to really, really, drunk and all were extremely fun to watch while munching on snacks from the flea market next door. I will make sure my next trip goes through a Sunday just for another Bear Pit Karaoke experience.
Drink coffee
Berlin has a massive Third Wave Coffee movement and although I will drink actually any coffee you give me, I still love going to a well-designed cafe with friendly people who serve up a cup of coffee that my Nespresso and Aeroccino just can't match. I would even spend a day going on a coffee tour and exploring all of the different neighborhoods in the city.
[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="700"]
See a concert at Mercedes-Benz Arena (formerly o2 World)
In Germany, I've missed attending the big arena concert I was lucky to always attend growing up in Houston. The Mercedes-Benz Arena is also right next to the East Side Gallery, which is always worth another visit. Adele concert in May anyone?
[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="5906"]
Ok Berlin fans, what else should I add to my list?

8 comments
Mustafa’s is seriously worth the hype, me and my friend still talk about it! Karaoke in the park was one of my favorite things to, but I loved just about everything in Berlin:)
ReplyDeleteLet me know when you're here and I'll bring you to all the best food places :P
ReplyDeleteMustafa's is a must! I was just in Berlin this weekend and I had to stop there. The veggie döner is in my opinion better than the meat one!
ReplyDeleteAlso, for amazing coffee and cheesecake check out the cafe Five Elephant. I have only good things to say about that place, and the coffee and cheesecake are just to die for.
Awesome! Will totally take you up on that offer sometime in 2016!
ReplyDeleteI'm assuming you are coming in the summer? Badeschiff and karaoke are closed for winter. Plenty of christmas markets though :D
ReplyDeleteWhen are you coming to Berlin? I can help you with the coffee tour!!
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot! I don't have anything planned yet but could be there for a few days in April. If so, I will let you know.
ReplyDeleteHa, yes, I prefer to stick to Munich and the mountains in the winter :)
ReplyDelete