I'm sure you've heard the GoPro hype by now. Between the athlete's and your neighbor's use both of the waterproof action sports camera and the massively successful IPO, it seems there's no stopping this budding company. I love me some photos. I cannot even name the amount of cameras I've gone through in my life. Every make, model, and type finds a way to amuse me. Somehow though, I just had not looked into a GoPro. They capture some wicked footage, but frankly I do not do anything remotely cool enough to capture on a GoPro... at least I thought I didn't.
Last weekend, some friends from home graced me with their, and their new GoPro complete with selfie stick's, presence on my turf in Germany. After being slightly disappointed with what they saw in Cologne, they decided to reroute and drive a couple of hours south to Karlsruhe and surprise me at work. Imagine, clueless me just working behind the bar and two besties waltzing through the door of the pub like it was no big deal. Luckily, you don't have to imagine because they caught it all on the GoPro. My infatuation really began though when they turned on the GoPro Wi-Fi Hotspot, connected their smartphones, pulled up the GoPro app, and immediately showed me all of the footage. After one whirlwind night, we bid adieu for three days, where we'd meet again in Munich and I could play with the GoPro and selfie stick all weekend!
My friends, Katie and Christin, are on a three-week Eurotrip and have been giving everyone insane Instagram jealousy, despite not doing a single "extreme" thing. The great thing about the GoPro is it can really capture almost anything. I write almost for a reason you will see in my quick review later, but the wide-angle lens certainly captures the full picture along with a different perspective. Plus, the various mounts allow for hands-free photography in any situation There are video options as well as 2-second self-timers , which is what we did using the selfie stick. There is no LCD screen or viewfinder, but if you're connected to the GoPro's Wi-Fi Hotspot, your phone or tablet screen can act as the viewfinder. The GoPro is tinier than I imagined and can easily be thrown into a small purse, or even a pocket if you don't bring the casing (but with my luck, I'd bring the casing everywhere). I've been truly terrible about capturing some serious Kodak moments lately, but I think the GoPro's reinspired me. I still don't own one myself, but the Android, point-and-shoot, or DSLR will have to do for now (ok, I might have a camera problem).
As you will see below, we had quite a fun weekend drinking beer and enjoying the marvelous city of Munich!


Despite having done this tour multiple times, we could not resist another afternoon with the guys from Mike's Bike Tours. Mike's provides a really fun way to learn a bit about what makes Munich special, along with its influential history. I swear one day they'll pay me to keep talking so highly of them, or at least provide my next tour free ;-)
[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="713"]
[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="960"]
Surfers on the Eisbach captured by the GoPro[/caption][caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="713"]
[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="713"]


Is it possible for the English Garden to appear any greater? With the GoPro and selfie stick, I just think it might be.
[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="713"]
My friends had the simplest GoPro version, the White Edition model, and it really captured some great footage for a basic model. I'd be interested to play with the Silver or Black Editions for a comparison. The only difficulties occured when shooting in lower light. They also had the X-Shot Pro Camera Extender, a.k.a. the selfie stick, which they purchased at REI in tow. It did a great job, but there are certainly lower priced models where you can get equivalent bang for your buck.
GoPro Hero3 White Edition $199
X-Shot Pro Camera Extender $69 Alternative: Sandmarc Pole $40
Santa, if you know when I'm sleeping and awake, surely you read my blog and you can go ahead and add this to Alex's 2014 Christmas List, along with a flight home to Houston because I rather not spent Christmas away this year.
Have you ever used a GoPro?

41 comments
I've been wanting to buy a GoPro but I have also wondered if I did anything worthy of recording with one! You may have just changed my mind :)
ReplyDeletethe terrible thing is we have 2 at our house, my boyfriend got them from work & I have only used it once. I got incredible footage from the Holi festival.... for some reason I never got it back out again!? dumb, I really should!
ReplyDeleteI hope you get your flight home! I had to spend my Christmas in Germany last year too, and while it was nice, it just wasn't the same. So, I bit the bullet last week and booked my $900 ticket home for two weeks.
ReplyDeleteI cannot, in good conscience, get down with anything called a 'selfie stick'! But I loooove my GoPro and have had a lot of fun with it if I don't need uber-high quality video!
ReplyDeleteThat is so handy. Especially for a solo traveller like me. I want one!!!
ReplyDeleteThat stuff is kind of brilliant. I bought a competitor action camera at one point, not a go-pro, but a jvc branded camera, and I stuck it on my bicycle and did a blog post of a video wherein I biked through Regensburg to get a Döner. I edited it together with some music, and had a great time doing it. However, after that first project I never had any idea what to do with the thing, so now I just stick to the dSLR and iPhone.
ReplyDeleteI'm always fascinated to see how other people use their tech, though. :D
GoPros are so fun to play with - I've never had one, just played with friends - and they take good photos (for the most part) as well!
ReplyDeleteI don't think I could ever use the "selfie stick" - I'm just not a selfie kind of gal, and having something that makes selfies easier would just be bad I think. However I do think it's cool that you can control GoPros with your cell phone.
go pros are the coolest!! i would love one. i didn't know the extended was that much tho!
ReplyDeleteI've never used it but it does seem like a great option!
ReplyDeletei had my hero2 for a while and haven't been using it for the past travels i have done. and i got myself a cheap selfie stick that i used for Brazil and that was legit. hahah... now i just have to pair it with my gopro!
ReplyDeleteOk you've really sold me on it! I bought an underwater camera last year before I went to turkey and someone else in the trip had a gopro and I just could not believe if never heard of one! I also debated if I "need" it (of course not) but I really do need that selfie stick!! Also, I did that bike tour in Munich and can confirm it's awesomeness! Also, so fun that your friends surprised you!!!
ReplyDeleteSorry I have to respond to this as a self-professed selfie (groupie?) lover! It's an awesome accessory because you can get pictures with all of your friends in them without having to ask a stranger or leave someone out-- and all of the pics that Alex posted were awesome pics of friends, taken with a "selfie" stick, but not really selfies at all. :)
ReplyDeleteI want! That is so fab! I love that second photo so much!
ReplyDeleteThat looks so much fun! I would love a selfie stick... I need to buy myself a new camera soon so I may look into a model that lets me use one. I love all your photos!
ReplyDeleteDan is DYING to get a selfie stick. I think we need to invest in one, pronto! Personally, I have looked into a GoPro a few times and each time I want one more and more. You've taken some great shots with this!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry, I was not trying to be negative, the pictures are great! I just don't think I could use a selfie stick myself.
ReplyDeleteI've long wanted one of these!! I'm usually the photo obsessed among my group of friends and end up never being in the picture myself :(
ReplyDeleteI LOVE mike's bike tours. I would go again and again!
ReplyDeleteOh wow, I definitely had assumed I wasn't the type for GoPro, but this has me changing my mind...
ReplyDeleteHaha this is so me, I bought a gopro and stick just before leaving for Europe. It gets such awesome shots, but I do feel a bit like a touristy noob sometimes haha
ReplyDeleteIt's 100 percent on my Christmas list and I'm not sure I can wait that long, they just are such cool tools for every occasion.
ReplyDeleteTOTALLY get you on that one. That was always me in college and I'm actually sad because my photographing has dropped to almost zero since then.
ReplyDeleteHa, yes I'm pretty sure I can give the tour myself now, but next time I'm hoping to give their new Third Reich tour a try so I can learn some new tidbits. Their stories are just fantastic!
ReplyDeleteHoly crap, I'm gone for four months and you're revamped your blog and started school, that's crazy! Good on you! I look forward to keeping myself updated with your life now that I'm back in the blogging world!
ReplyDelete$900 is about what I've been seeing too. My classes run up until 23.December. Is your uni that nutty as well?
ReplyDeleteMongolia will do that to ya ;-) I'm so excited you're back to the blog world!
ReplyDeleteI totally caved and bought one. I think it will take some time to get over the embarrassment of the selfie stick, but the photos are totally worth it :)
ReplyDeleteI just bought mine yesterday. Can't handle the excitement. Mom's bringing it when she comes in two weeks as it was 50 Euro more here. Selfie sticks are an essential, once you start you're never going back ;)
ReplyDeleteThey even have heavy duty selfie sticks, although I'm totally not strong enough for one of those. The GoPro is just perfect for it since it's so light. I saw some people with their iPhones on sticks as well.
ReplyDeleteI just bought one as an "early xmas present" that my mom's bringing when she comes in two weeks. Can't even handle the excitement. They even have little dog straps so you could get footage from the pups!
ReplyDeleteI used to have an underwater camera that I LOVED but somehow got lost in the mess of college. Drop proof, waterproof, and I still couldn't take care of it somehow. Hopefully I'm better with the GoPro :-[]
ReplyDeleteI totally plan on doing a similar video in Munich... once I learn my way around a bit at least. I'm ashamed to say I haven't touched my DSLR in months... I'm just so lazy about carrying it.
ReplyDeleteGet that thing back out! Especially for your epic adventures!
ReplyDeletehahaha well if it helps... I think the more technical term is telescoping monopod or something :)
ReplyDeleteYes, it's perfect for solo traveler. Not sure if you follow the Young Adventuress blog but she rocks the selfie stick!
ReplyDeleteThat's how I ALWAYS felt. But really, it's just so portable I think why not carry it everywhere.
ReplyDeleteI get a two-week break from the 20th to the 4th. The 23rd is a little extreme, but it is just because Christmas break isn't between semesters like in the U.S.
ReplyDelete[…] for an online album maker? Wanting | A Go Pro! (definitely copying Alex’s lead HERE) Looking | For recommendations on restaurants and sights in Catania, Sicily! I’m leaving […]
ReplyDeleteCheck out this site if you are looking for a great quality monopod (selfie stick) www.theselfiegostick.com
ReplyDeletewww.theselfiestick.com is the place to buy one for sure. The bluetooth monopod is the best!
ReplyDeleteI agree with Tom. I bought a bluetooth one at www.theselfiegostick.com and it is the best.
ReplyDelete