THREE YEARS IN GERMANY

By Unknown - 1:42 PM

Is it seriously July? How do these long summer days pass so quickly?

I am about to spend my fourth Fourth of July in Germany. The fact that I am about to encounter a whole year of fourths seems pretty surreal. Today, July 3rd, 2014, marks three full years since my arrival in Germany as the country's newest resident. There's days it feels like I've been here forever and others I question where all this time went.

Year 0, Year 1, Year 2 (also, the evolution of me as a blogger)


The fact is though, that three years is a long time. It's long enough for my friends to begin and finish law school and for others to meet the one and get married. It is apparently not long enough for me to be fluent in German, but let's not even go into that.

Some days, I cannot help but wonder what my life would be like today had I just left as planned after my au pair year. I see my friends' lives in Houston and depict a pretty decent idea: rental apartment in Midtown with a roommate, a communications career, a serious boyfriend, weekends at friends' weddings, saving up for the future, etc. I was dealt a good hand growing up and I'd probably still display some pretty good cards had I gone the traditional path... yetI didn't.

Instead, in three years I've been an au pair, a blogger, a waitress, a travel planner and small business owner, a PR professional, a student, a traveler, a bartender, a social media supervisor, and a full-time Denglish speaker. I depleted my savings account, lived in three different bedrooms, and gathered furniture from Amazon, IKEA, and even heavy trash day.

I cannot tell you what would have happened if I moved home after year one, but I can tell you what would not have happened. I would not have met my wild, eclectic crew and some of my favorite people in the world, including my oh-so-lovable Freund. Nor would I have learned the true meaning of a dollar, or in my case a Euro, and nor can you until you truly earn an hourly wage at a part-time job and think of everything in terms of "so this costs how many hours of work at the pub?". I would not know how truly valuable free time is nor be so thankful that I am not spending these years in a fluorescent-lit cubicle. This free time allowed me to start my business, explore Europe, form bonds, and work some magic in the kitchen. Above all, it afforded me the time to discover myself, my wants and needs, and pave the path for my future.

With the commitment to my masters program, I've assured myself two more years in the land of pretzels and punctuality - this time in the south's big city, Munich! Between year one and three, I lost purpose in Germany. My happiness evolved into contentment, and although I think contentment is nothing to shake your head at, I needed to again push myself towards something more fulfilling as the pub certainly cannot do that forever (nor could it keep me in Germany legally).

I think most what people at home do not realize is that this is no longer a fun and games year abroad, this is my real life. Although there are some epic adventures here and there, I go to work, see my friends, clean up the apartment, and have dinner with my boyfriend. For me, life seems normal. I have great days and I have terrible ones. But mostly, they're just day-to-day and I'm content. Going to the German supermarket is no longer intimidating and even calling German customer service lines is navigable. My life is pure Denglish these days.

So, I've probably "nor-ed" everyone out for today, but I still cannot believe myself how this decision to au pair for one year after college changed everything. At the time, that decision brought tears and fear, so I am proud of myself for following through and beginning this new life 100 percent on my own. It's hard to describe how great it feels to have this decision validated purely through happiness.

Four Goals for Year Four


1. Get Better Acquainted with the Great Outdoors


For all my free time I've been discussing, I spend way too much time indoors. Germany's outdoor offerings are pretty unbeatable and south of Munich lies, IMHO, the most beautiful part of the country. I want to see the lakes, hike the mountains, and discover nature's sanctuaries. When there's no time to leave Munich, there is plenty discover amongst my new city on my bike.




Hohenburg Castle in the hills of Alsace, France



2. Make New Friends, But Keep the Old


As an expat, my friends have become family. My group in Karlsruhe, although ever-changing, has been my rock. I pray I can find a group in Munich to confide in with whom I can share as many meals and laughs. Distance puts relationships to the test, and along with my friendships, the Freund and I will be dealing with the dreaded long-distance, too. For those wondering, Karlsruhe <-> Munich is about 3 hours.





3. Sprich Deutsch!


When I moved to Karlsruhe, I could not even count to five in German. Now, I have a solid base and need to push myself to form friendships based around German instead of English, so I will speak it outside of simple in-the-city exchanges. I will also be enrolled in German courses at the university, so I will be out of excuses.



4. Find a Routine


With my flexible schedule, I've lost all signs of a routine outside of sleeping through breakfast. With a steady course schedule and hopefully a part time job, I need to integrate a regular sleep schedule, begin exercising a couple times per week, keeping up with reading, and finding time to maintain my blog and relationships (basically, being a normal adult). It will be a huge change from now and efficient time use will be the key to success.


Prost to year three, on to year four - Munich here I come!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

39 comments

  1. Time really does fly by, sounds like year 4 is going to be a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 3 years in Germany Alex! Sounds like year 4 is going to be a blast.

    By the way, what's going to happen to Karlsresource once you're in München?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy anniversary! My third was when I finally knew Spain was for me. And I still set goals! This year: putting together a house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy 3 year anniversary with Germany! My German journey also started in 2011, but since I have spent a year at home in between, my real expat life started just 1 year ago (also in July, ironically).

    I can relate to everything you are feeling, though (wtf is up with all of my friends at home buying houses?), especially the depleted savings account ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are probably one of the coolest people I "know". you constantly push yourself to do and experience new things and a lot of people can't say that. happy anniversary and can't wait to see where year 4 takes you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woah, congrats! My three-year anniversary is coming up next week. Hard to believe it's been that long... You're so right though. It's no longer an adventure of all fun and games, but instead it's real life, both good and bad. I like that you're setting anniversary goals instead of new year's ones. Good luck with them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wenn du eine mega Wanderung suchst, geh nach Berchtesgaden zu dem Watzmannhaus. Wollte diese immer machen aber hat immer geschneit als ich das probiert habe. 2 Tage Tour. Google Watzmannhaus :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is weird, living day-to-day when so much is different but it all becomes the same. Great goals for year #4... I'm sure your German will improve enormously! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy German-anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great goals and I wish you luck with them all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy anniversary! Time does fly, huh? Dare I say your life has been more interesting and unpredictable (in the best ways) since you did not take the traditional path? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on completing year three! I love following your blog and can't wait to read about some Munich adventures. Also thanks for keepin' it real, and saying life abroad is just life, sprinkled with some fancier things---I'm living in Spain, and sometimes feel guilty that I'm not having as epic a time as when I studied abroad. Then I remember, work and responsibilities aren't the greatest, no matter what kind of picturesque setting you're in. And yet we keep coming back, and I have a feeling it's not just for cheap wine (or in your case, beer) and cobblestone streets :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My first year was almost just like a year abroad - partying and traveling every chance I had. Au pairing was basically a thing to get me out of bed earlier than I wanted, although I did (and do) love the family. But now with jobs and friends who also are not just there to party, it's simply life!


    Oh, and I still get my fill of wine. We have a Spanish Tempranillo at my supermarket for 2.19/bottle, I've enjoyed far too many of those ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Katrin! How many years have you been in the US now?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you! I do think I can agree with that, especially on the unpredictable :) which always keeps things interesting, whether good or difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's funny, I forget how different it is until visitors comment on certain things!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Klingt super! Ich habe schon eine Berchtesgaden reise mit Freunde in August geplant :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, I should admit that German is always on the NY resolution list as well, but the new me goals vs. new Germany goals are good - important to keep things fresh here :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yeah seriously, marriage and houses and I'm just going back to school on loans - scary thought but here's to the ride!

    ReplyDelete
  20. One day, that "know" is going to turn into just a know. Like Tomorrowland 2015 when y'all come visit me in Munich :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you! And good question... we have not worked out the logistics there yet.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gracias chica! Gah your house must be the most fun project ever, that's still just a twinkle in my eye :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks lady --- yours will be here before you know it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Since fall 2011! But right now I am in Germany!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Woot, woot & 'grats!


    You've always been an independent sort, dating back to 1st day of pre-k & elementary, where you conducted your own teacher introductions.


    You've got it right. 'Tis the journey, not the destination.


    Love, miss, proud of, and for, you.



    Later,


    Daddio

    ReplyDelete
  26. woo hoo 3 years!! how exciting. Good luck with tackling the language the rest of the way.. i also want to learn here (hindi) but can't even find a teacher. PS you have had a LOT of jobs! what small biz did you own? I am trying to start one now - unofficially though, kind of like my massage... just by fliers and such!

    ReplyDelete
  27. cheers! here's to not living in Houston! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations!! I'm happy to hear you're content and found your place. (whether permanent or not) I envy your adventure!
    And I just want to say that your dad leaves the best comments. : )

    ReplyDelete
  29. If you hadn't of taken the plunge then you would have been left wondering 'what if...' It's great that you're embracing opportunities in life. I have only been to Munich once and I loved it. Alsace is gorgeous too.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Amanda Papenfus EatherlyJuly 6, 2014 at 11:01 PM

    Congrats on three years in Germany and on getting in to the university at Munich. I was just there a few days ago. Beautiful city.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Good for you for sensing the contentment and pushing yourself for a change! I'm planning on going to be in Munich for Oktoberfest in September and we should meet up! :D

    ReplyDelete
  32. Yes please - 100 percent give me a shout!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I actually still have my small biz, europeitinerary.com, I plan Eurotrips for people all over the world. It's quite an adventure. In fact, I think you could totally do something like this for India as you're the queen of getting around there. Buying the domain was key, I have never advertised, get all of my traffic through search.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Congrats on 3 years! I am impressed that you moved to Germany without knowing basically anything, and here you are!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Congrats on 3 years! It will be our third year in November, and I am nowhere near fluent either! :D

    ReplyDelete
  36. Congrats! This was a great read! You've done a lot. =)

    ReplyDelete
  37. I moved recently to Germany and reading yr post I found myself into yr words! Hope u complete all yr goals(most are my goals too!)
    Mygenerouslife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. Fantastic - I hope you're just loving it here!

    ReplyDelete