I knew this time would come, and frankly, it was supposed to come two years ago when I finished my au pair year as it originally was planned. Nevertheless, (nearly) three years passed and here I still sit in my adopted home of Karlsruhe. This all happened because I loved Karlsruhe and my life here. It's a life free of the complexities and obligations of home. There's no financial burdens, no social ladders, no politics (for the record, these all exist in Germany, but do not apply to my life specifically here). Life is simple and I appreciate every thing about that simplicity.
As of three weeks ago, not coincidentally the last time I managed to blog, I learned my days here are officially numbered: eighty-five at most.
What could possibly be pulling me away from this little German home and super special comfort zone I've found? It could be none other than the big city that I initially fell in love with on my first Eurotrip back in 2010. Yep, that's right, I'm moving to Bavaria's capital city, Munich.
How did all this happen?
No matter how happy and comfortable I felt in Karlsruhe, the little worker's voice inside of me started getting louder, telling me again and again that I'd lost purpose here in Germany. Sure, I was content, but perhaps too content? I was no longer an au pair, a company employee, or a German student. My one year anniversary as a part-time pub employee at the Bray Head just passed and I was at a standstill. Truthfully, I could go another year this content, but the fears of future stability and waning progress pushed me forward.
At the beginning of this year, I was in last round interviews with Trivago, my favorite hotel search engine. The opportunity really sparked my interest and the possibility of moving North to Düsseldorf was equally exciting. After they ultimately passed on me for the position, I felt more let down than I anticipated. Didn't I want to still be in Karlsruhe? These feelings motivated me to find my new purpose. I wanted to stay in Germany, but it seemed I'd used up all my opportunities in Karlsruhe. I'm a city-slicker at heart, having only lived in Houston and Austin before this move, so maybe it was time to look to Germany's more metropolitan offerings.
Back to School
Germany definitely takes the cake when it comes to providing students with affordable education. In fact, most students in Germany study for free, paying only around 100 Euros/semester in student union fees. Not only does this apply to German citizens, but everyone. I know, I could not believe it either.
As a freshman at The University of Texas at Austin, I never dreamed I'd stop my education after four years. Two Bachelor's degrees later (B.S. Public Relations, B.S. Communication Studies), I was off to Europe and further education was not even at the back of my mind. Luckily, it entered the forefront last fall as I began searching for options to study here in Germany. I found about 10 programs in English that related to my background, but one truly stood out: the Masters in Consumer Affairs at the Technical University of Munich. It is one of the best university's in Germany, and thus the world, and the EU-backed program focuses on consumer and behavioral economics, as well as sustainability management and marketing. Plus, it's in freaking Munich, which so happens to be my favorite city in all of Europe!
At the end of February, I clicked submit on my application and began the waiting period. The deadline is in mid-June, so I knew it'd be awhile before I heard anything. As the wait continued, my lazy ass contemplated applying to some of the other programs I found, but I kept putting them off as they just didn't excite me like the Consumer Affairs program.
Well, cheers to putting all my eggs in one basket, because the evening before I left for my two-week trip home to the USA, I received an acceptance email!
[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="1013"]
How it Really Feels
The moment I received my acceptance, I let out a sign of relief - relieved to have a life plan again and a true reason for staying in Germany. Now, I feel excited about the opportunity, but incredibly sad to leave Karlsruhe - so sad that just thinking about it brings tears to my eyes typing it. I will miss my friends and the Freund too much, but I know fantastic friends await me in Munich and making them this go 'round will be much easier as a student. I'm also terrified to study again; it's been three years since I did anything academic. Let's get real, I never studied much before, but Germans, do they study! It's like nothing I've ever seen before. I can only think the compare it to my crazy law school friends. Lastly, I'm 100 percent stressed about finding a place to live in Munich. Once I have that nailed down, I think many of these emotions will actually go away because it's causing a lot of anxiety at the moment. I just want a clean roommate, or two, or none, in a decent part of the city, with rent not through completely through the roof - really not too much to ask.
[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="566"]
my Bachelor's graduation day, May 20, 2011[/caption]So, that's what's basically my life right now. Cheers to a new adventure and more Speaking Denglish!

65 comments
Woohoo! Congrats!! And I have a feeling that you will be fine with working hard and studying - i didn't study much in undergrad either but when you go back and it's something you really want to do and you treat it like a job... Well, everything just comes together! Can't wait to hear about the program and Munich, which is one of my favorite cities I Europe too!!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on having a direction that excites you! I'm a little jealous of that. I feel like I'm just in a rut of existing and not really living. I guess it's time to do something about that, eh?
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! How exciting!
ReplyDeleteHow exciting! (and daunting.. but, you've faced bigger challenges before!) I hope that the housing situation irons itself out in Munich... do you know anybody there?
ReplyDeleteCongrats!!! Doing an MA is a lot different in Europe than the way we were taught in America, but in the end it's soooo worth it!
ReplyDeletecongrats, Alex!!! you've done more than what you think!!!! here's to the next adventure of your life
ReplyDeleteAusgezeichnet! Ich gratuliere dich, Alex! That's especially awesome it was the program you were really hoping for. As my plans to move to Deutschland are put off, I'll have to live vicariously through your Munich shenanigans. Best of luck with looking for all that you require... I'm sure it'll come through.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! It sounds like a really interesting program!
ReplyDeleteCongrats!! Having an acceptance somewhere is such a relief. The deadline for my program application was last Saturday, and they said we'd hear back mid-June. Hearing that you also put all your eggs in one basket (I applied for one MA program in English) makes me SO much more confident that I have a good chance at this one. I hope you find a spot in Munich soon, it's a lovely city! See if you can find somewhere in Maxvorstadt, that's where I lived and it's super lovely. :)
ReplyDeleteoh my god, congratulations! It is definitely one of the best Universities, so make good use of your time there :)
ReplyDeleteAlex, that's so exciting!! Congrats! I've never heard of a program like that - I hope you will share some of what you're doing at school on here once you begin. I'm so excited to follow along in Munich - my dad is an airline pilot and flies there all the time and he loves it (although that may have more to do with the copious amounts of beer and sausages than anything else...) Everything will fall into place - just wait and see. So happy for you!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! Such exciting news! I am sure you will love living in Munich! Good luck with the apartment search!
ReplyDeleteI guessed you were moving to Munich when Facebook told me you'd liked TU München ;-)
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to hear about your adventures in Munich. Karlsruhe will miss you though! (Who will be my favourite waitress at Bray now? ;-))
Congrats! You'll have fun living in Munich, especially in late September...
ReplyDeleteIs it weird that I welled up with pride? This is so exciting and I'm beyond proud of you. this is incredible and I can't wait to follow along on your next adventure. I need to get my butt to visit you in munich... next year.
ReplyDeleteI know how
ReplyDeletesad you must be to leave Karlsruhe behind, but congrats on moving to Munich and
starting a new adventure! I'm so excited for you! And I'm so going to visit you
there! :)
Congrats! Glad you're finding some purpose to make life a little more exciting!
ReplyDeleteCongrats! I've heard Munich is wonderful! Such exciting news, and going back to school should be interesting ;)
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! Leaving places behind can be difficult (why do I keep leaving places behind?!), but it looks like you have a lot to look forward to. I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures in Munich! Besides, you'll still be in Germany, so you can always come back to visit Karslruhe!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! That is so exciting! I know it can be sad to leave friends, but you and they will visit one another. What a great adventure ahead of you!
ReplyDeletecongratulations Alex! how exciting! this Masters program sounds like it's a pretty perfect fit for you :) wishing you the best of luck with making the transition to Munich! I hope searching for new housing goes as smoothly as possible.
ReplyDeleteThank you, and very true - and I definitely will be returning to KA, there's a lot here to keep me coming back!
ReplyDeleteYes Julika, you must! I'll need someone to explain what's happening in all those museums to me.
ReplyDeleteNot, at all ;) It is all very exciting and Munich is truly a must on your next Eurotrip - it's the city that made me decide I had to live in Europe!
ReplyDeleteWhat happens in late September? ;) ;)
ReplyDeleteOnly a little bit excited...!
Damn Facebook, giving me away...
ReplyDeletePretty sure you won't recognize the staff pretty soon... so many changes coming :( But you bet I'll be returning for some free beers!
Thank you, Katrin! I know I'll just adore it too!
ReplyDeleteMunich has this special effect on some people, including myself. There's a vibe that if you get it, you get it. I'll def be sharing a little bit about school since I'm sure it's all that I'll actually be able to think about ahhh
ReplyDeleteThank you, it's all pretty thrilling!!
ReplyDeleteThank you Niken! It's all very exciting!
ReplyDeleteAnd shenanigans I'm sure there will be... moving to a new place always brings those your way somehow. Thanks so much Cynthia!!
ReplyDeleteYes, I know a couple people there but it's more difficult not being there so I can't meet potential roommates at the drop of a hat. Blah, it'll work out :)
ReplyDeleteAh, you'll have to send me your tips!!
ReplyDeleteThank you!! You'll have to come check out Munich :)
ReplyDeleteTaking action can sure make for some crazy changes!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Emily!
ReplyDeleteWell sooo good to hear since you seem to have fallen right back into law school just fine, but then again I haven't been working normal 9-5s either haha. Sure I'll be fine :-/
ReplyDeleteThanks a million, Kaity!
ReplyDeleteIt IS wonderful, definitely a city with something very special about it.
ReplyDeleteYep, as fun as bumming around is, it's a necessary change.
ReplyDeleteThank you --- it really is a relief. My fingers are mega crossed for you, I'm sure you'll be fine as well. I'm definitely looking in Maxvorstadt, and everywhere really as I just need something AH!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness, congratulations! Feeling a little too settled is definitely an emotion I can sympathize with at the moment, so props to you for shaking it up. And with your love of Munich, it's sure to be a match made in heaven.
ReplyDelete(Plus, Bavaria is awesome. Welcome to the team.) :)
I have another German friend who recently told me about how great the educational system is over there. So good that she's actually moving back to Munich after living in London to get another degree as well! Best of luck!
ReplyDeleteHey, congratulations! I'll bet this phase in your adventure will be even better: new faces, new places, new things to discover. Honor and love the past, embrace the future without fear, you've got the world by the tail!
ReplyDeleteHow fun! Congratulations. I loved Munich, such a beautiful city with great people, food, and drink. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteMunich is everything and more you can imagine! Endless Augustiner and mountains!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Kaley! You'll have to let me know if you return for another visit.
ReplyDeleteThose are certainly nothing to complain about!
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comment and encouragement, it means a lot!
ReplyDeleteIt is pretty amazing that it's world-class and tuition free, I feel lucky to be apart of it. Thanks Ashley!
ReplyDeleteBavaria is the Texas of Germany in my book, so I'm all aboard!
ReplyDeleteLast night I was at a party at the cutest coolest little student bungalows at Olympiazentrum. I'm sure they're hard to get, but if I was a student looking for a place in Munich it would definitely be on my list! It reminded me a bit of dorm life in the US, just without the bunk beds and communal bathrooms ;)
ReplyDeleteThe sponsored student housing at least is about a two year wait, but I wonder if this is different, privately sponsored housing. Sounds pretty neat, thanks for the heads up!!
ReplyDeleteYOU WILL LOVE MUNICH. Still hands down, my favorite city as well.
ReplyDeleteHey Alex, I was wondering if I could inquire as to whether or not the school accepts financial aid from the US for funding? I'm coming up on an ending visa pretty shortly and have been looking into options for studying. It's very funny because I can skim through your blog and relate to nearly every feeling you've had during your time. I'm constantly thinking: "God, Greg, just go home.. you can make so much money back in the US." But it's so hard to give up the beautiful and simple lifestyle they have here. In any case, I'd really like to pick your brain about a few things regarding switching visas, etc. Maybe we can connect on facebook and chat really quick? Thanks in advance, Alex!
ReplyDeleteHa, I am so glad you could relate! It's a tough feeling, which I guess is why I'm still here, and funny seeing all my friends moving up in the world while I'm still jacking around, but just as happy so that's what makes it all ok. Anyway, as far as my research has gone, which is pretty far since I need funds for living in teuer Munich, is that I cannot receive US gov't aide or EU aide (although some people can if they have relatives, attended a German school in the US, etc.) so I am receiving a private loan for my masters. I wish I had more advice and will be sure to share it if I stumble upon anything. I've also applied for some scholarships which I haven't heard back from yet.
ReplyDeleteOh hurrah! Munich's looking forward to having you here permanently! If you fancy a coffee or a beer sometime, give me a shout!
ReplyDeleteYes, you are too kind and I would love that! I'll be around permanently in October, so let's chat then.
ReplyDeleteso exciting! congrats Alex!! Munich is amazing. have so much fun - prost!
ReplyDeleteCongrats!!! That is really exciting!!!
ReplyDeleteMelanie @ meandmr.com
Ahhh congratulations! That's so exciting! And on the bright side, Germany is tiny so Karlsruhe is always just a skip, hop, & a jump away :P
ReplyDeleteI had this moment last year when I got my acceptance to my Master's of choice in Berlin :) speaking of which, if you ever happen to be in Berlin, do give me a heads up!
belle + compass
P.S. Have you got instagram?
ReplyDeleteTotally! I need to get back to Berlin, haven't even been since living in Germany! Munich has been an easy adjustment :) likewise, let me know if you're here!
ReplyDeletewonderful!! congratulations Alex! cheers to new adventures. xxo.
ReplyDeleteCongrats Alex! I am excited for your new adventure. it must be thrilling but heart-breaking at the same time, to start a new adventure in your favorite city and leave karlsruhe.
ReplyDelete