GERMANS LOVE THEIR DRINK MIXTURES

By Unknown - 3:26 AM

Germans do many quirky things, but their unique drink mixtures is one of my favorites. I am not talking about mixing cocktails because we all know Germans enjoy beer over the former; I am talking about carbonated drink mixtures. This surely stems from the unanimous preference for mineral (fizzy) water over the less superior still water, and don't even mention the stuff straight from the tap! Ok, I am exaggerating a bit here, but to prove my point, here are some German staple drinks.

Radler


The Radler (translation: cyclist) is a mixture of Sprite (or any other lemon soda) and beer, particularly a Pilsner. It is extremely popular during the warmer months as it can turn a bitter Pils into quite the thirst-quencher. In the UK, this popular drink is also available, but called a Shandy. They are available bottled, but often mixed 3:2 beer:sprite at bars, pubs, and beer gardens from a tap. This usually brings the alcohol percentage of the beer down to 2.5-3%.

Weinschorle


Weinscholre (translation: wine spritzer) is typically a dry white wine mixed with mineral water. However, there are really a million ways to do it and it is often mixed also with rosés and even red wines. Some people even drink their Weinschorle süß (translation: sweet) with Sprite. This is a popular way to drink wine during the day.


Apfelschorle (and other Saftschorle)


Apfelschorle, a mixture of apple juice and mineral water, is maybe the most popular non-alcoholic beverage in Germany. Germans love apples, so why not mix it with their beloved soda water for a day at the park. If you walk into any German household, Apfelschorle will surely be one of your drink offerings. Heck, they've even bottled it up so you don't have to mix your own.

Spezi


As a child, I remember my goofy self walking up to the fountain drink machine at Fudrucker's and holding my cup under several sodas and drinking whatever came out. My only successful mixture was pink lemonade and Sprite, but the Germans seem to have found another: Spezi, a mixture of cola and orange soda. Pepsi markets it as Schwip Schwap while Coca-Cola markets it as Mezzo Mix. I market it as a don't buy, but it sure is "spezi" to some people.

Cola-Weizen


Cola-Weizen is another popular beer mixture, but a bit opposite the aforementioned Radler as it is a wheat beer mixed with cola. I normally steer clear of the wheat beers as they are a little much for me (and someone once told me they give you gas), but Cola-Weizen is delicious, and I am newly a fan of Bananen-Weizen, which is a wheat beer with you guessed it, banana juice. It's the perfect breakfast beer, I must say.

What do you think about the Germans' quirk: ja oder nein?

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

34 comments

  1. I have to admit - most of the concoctions had me scowling but I'd have to reserve final judgement until I've tried them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Germans seem to think of many many ways to enjoy beer. that apple juice mix sounds good. i'll try that

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a Radler on a hot day, and I'm very fond of Cola-weizen, although the locals kind of poke fun at me for ordering it. One of my friends at the pub let me taste her Bulmer's pear cider; that was quite tasty also. I know it's not German, but it bears mentioning anyway, because yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. these all sound delicious!!! even the non alcoholic one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha, love this, I discovered a few of these when I visited my German boyfriend in his native county this past spring. Can't say I'm a big of the mezzo mix, whenever he got that it was guaranteed to be only his.

    The last one I'd never heard of though, and it intrigues me a bit - I guess I'll have to try that one out in round 2!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is Apfelsafy and Apfelschorle the same?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The banana one sounds like it might be good! Here in France I always order a Monaco: strawberry syrup, sprite, and beer. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  8. MMMM I love Apfelschorle! And a radler on a cold day! That last one sounds interesting....

    ReplyDelete
  9. The first thing I thought of when I read the title was Colaweizen. I can't stand the stuff! But then I don't like Weizen OR Coke, so the mixture of the two could never work out well.
    With you on the Spezi. I mean.. why?!

    I like Apfelschorle in general, but I find the Lift one faaaar too sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I studied abroad there were two girls who loved the mixed soft drinks. One didn't go anywhere without a bottle of Spezi, the other ordered a Radler at every meal. I still really can't do anything other than Apfelschorle as sugary drinks give me headaches, but I'll always remember these two girls with their Spezis and Radlers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I must say... I'm loving all these mixtures! Especially the beers mixed with a soft drink, as I'm a bit of an amateur when it comes to beer ;) Spezi sounds a bit strange though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Saft means juice, so that's just the straight apple juice where as the schorle is saft mixed with sprudelwasser

    ReplyDelete
  13. no one but the germans seem to like spezi. ha ha. I only like it if you mix real coke and german fanta.
    oh and you have to try radler with black beer/dark lager beer. it's really good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post Alex! I love all of their creative drink options. I haven't tried the wine creations but all others I have! Not the biggest fan of Mezzo Mix, but my husband mixed it himself once and it's actually pretty good. I love Banana Weizen but its just so filling!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum! When I was in Berlin (the only city in Germany I've been to), I loved Berliner Weisse mixed with raspberry syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I recently got hooked on both red Spanish wines with Kas, a carbonated water, and port with tonic. Love me some beer mixed with anything, ANYTHING, too...though I can't do the Northern Spain thing of mixing red wine with coke, called a Calimocho/Kalimotxo. EW.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You got me -- I love all these drinks! :) Have you tried the combinations with passion fruit juice yet? Maracujasaftschorle is my favorite drink for the day, and Maracuja-Weizen is just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I quite like Cola-Weizen and Cola-Bier, though my wife makes fun of me for it. In one bar the concoction is called 'Diesel' and it does kind of look brown and dirty, but tastes nice.

    The concept of Schorle is fun, especially in the summer. I like Cranberry and Grapefruit Schorles in the bars that have that juice.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Spritzers are frowned on a little in the uk. Don't know why. Does it matter? I guess if you were making a spritzer out of a very good wine then I might get it, but if not, what's the problem. I like a bit of creativity. Not sure about that Spezi though! : /

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ja, bitte! A Radler is great on a hot summer day (whenever we have one, that is) I'm not a big fan of the Mezzo Mix, but I love all the different Schorle I've gotten to try. My new favorite is a lemon/ginger Schorle, so good!

    ReplyDelete
  21. red wine with Coke?! That's definitely a little too out there for me

    ReplyDelete
  22. The great thing about working at a pub, I can always experiment and try new things :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Breakfast beer actually sounds kind of amazing. When I lived in Argentina they would mix coke with wine, which I thought was really weird... but I guess when I move to Germany I'll get to try all these weird mixtures too!

    http://lasaloperie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have drank many a shandy in my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I guess you are right about the Apfelschorle. My Dad always has at least 12 bottles of Apfelschorle at home. Did you know that in some regions Spezi is called "Kalter Kaffee"? :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Okay the Radler sounds delicious, must try! x

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is called "kalte Muschi" (cold vagina) in germany.

    ReplyDelete
  28. How interesting! Until recently, I never knew the Europeans loved to mix their beverages. I learned about the "shandy" in England and just the other day tried "kalimotxo" here in Spain. That one is red wine and coca-cola! I thought it would be awful, but it really isn't bad! I kinda like it!

    The Cola-Weizen sounds really interesting. At first I thought it sounded awful, but with that banana one, you may have convinced me otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Radler and Apfelschorle are fine, but Cola-Weizen (or Weizen with banana juice) are disgusting! ;-) The kalimotxo that Jessica mentions above also exists in Germany (just mentioning it because it exists, not because it's tasty ;-P ) - it is called Korea.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Bananenweizen is really great for washing down shots, IMO ^^

    ReplyDelete
  31. […] Ales mixed with sprite, soda and energy drinks. I believe the British call them Shandies and Germans call them Radlers. […]

    ReplyDelete
  32. Worth mentioning that Cola goes with any Bier, sometimes named differently. For example an Alt-bier with Cola ia a Krefelder, while Cola is often mixed with pils (Colabier) in the same proportions as a Sprite in Radler. I've even had people request Guinness with Cola (blasphemy, and a nuisance to pour)

    ReplyDelete