Germans speak some damn good English, so it's not often I encounter ROFL-worthy translation mishaps. Google Translate throws out some wonky phrasing, but it's usually navigable. I always get a kick out of the articles photo documenting hilarious language translation mishaps across Asia, but I've yet to have one of those must-run-to-the-restroom-before-I-pee-myself moments with German to English translations until now...
My friends here and I are 100 percent on the Snapchat train. They may even be getting a little out of control, you know, like doing things just for the Snapchat. I am used to opening it and seeing yet another ugly photo of my friends (but really, I love them, so please keep them coming), but this time there was a diamond in the rough - one certainly screenshot worthy.
Background: My friend and fellow American expat in Karlsruhe, Melinda, sent me this snap. She's dating an Aussie-English guy, Asher, who is seeking gainful employment in the field of science. He was flipping through a local paper, when he saw this ad for a construction management job.
Construction Supervisor perhaps would have been a better fit.This clearly lead to extensive discussion about what an Erection Supervisor's job would entail... maybe employed by Viagra researchers?
If you know anyone qualified... please direct them to this advertisement ;)

10 comments
Hahaha! It seems like that word is used frequently by those who don't speak English as a first language, since it easily means.. other things.
ReplyDeleteHa!
ReplyDeleteHaha, that's brilliant! I see things like this all the time when customers insist on writing things in English themselves and asking us to "just quickly look over them". Mostly they're harmless, but I have seen "Unternehmer" translated as "undertaker" a few times.
ReplyDeleteThat is awesome.
ReplyDeleteI'm on the snapchat train too! This is fantastic though - I feel like there's lots of reasons I should pick up the Zeitung but seeing mistypes like this one would be the most entertaining. ;)
ReplyDeleteHaha got to love the translations you find!
ReplyDeletehahahahah omg that is awesome
ReplyDeleteHaha, this is fantastic! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteThere are so many things I want to say about this faux pas, but they are way to naughty to type! ;)
ReplyDeleteperfect. maybe they wanted to keep it vague and purposefully in error...ya know, just in case?!
ReplyDelete