Since I arrived in Germany two-and-a-half years ago, I've heard about the proximity of skiing and how people just hit the slopes after work. A quick after-work ski seems pretty unbelievable in a city as flat and bike-friendly as Karlsruhe, but when Shayla came to visit, it was time to finally give it a run.
Full disclosure: Since graduating college and moving to Europe, I no longer find downhill skiing an enjoyable activity - maybe it is because I am out of shape, or maybe I am just uncomfortable on the European mountains, but I prefer sip drinks and enjoying the scenery then flying down it these days (because it actually scares the crap out of me).
Warm weather characterized this winter in Germany, and I am not AT ALL complaining, but it did make picking a nearby ski location more difficult. The Black Forest offers a plethora of ski hills and cross-country trails during a typical German winter, but this atypical German winter left many ski
Or at least I thought we'd be hitting the slopes.... there was actually precisely one slope to hit. I was a bit surprised that THIS was the nearby skiing everyone chatted about. Sure, it's convenient, but coming from someone who only knows the likes of skiing at Colorado resorts, I was a little shocked. Fortunately, the prices reflected the size, and we still enjoyed our few runs and the only blanket of snow I've seen all winter.
On the slope, there was one T-bar to the top and one that went halfway up. We started with the halfway T-bar to warm up since it'd been awhile since either of us had been on skis. Well, apparently it'd also been awhile (read: never) since we'd been on a T-bar and not a chairlift, because we both successfully took 3+ tries to properly mount the T-bar. We both fell round one trying to get on together, I then fell and the T-bar dragged me while trying get on solo, and then Shayla fell two more times. The sixteen year-old working the ski lift was wildly amused; it's safe to say we made his day.
Eventually, we learned from our mistakes and were able to dismount fairly successfully and then glide down the slope with ease for the remainder of the day... or at least until our legs and knees begged us to stop and our mouths lead us to the restaurant for some Après-ski, which this particularly day was a lovely glass of Bananenweizen.
The mega-advantage of skiing at Mehliskopf on a weekday was that we were basically the only people there! There were a couple expert skiers there who just zoomeddown, getting in the equivalent of their afternoon run, paired with a couple of children learning the ropes, but other than that, the mountain was absolutely empty.

Incase you ever wondered while I am always in sunglasses, now you see why: even if it is overcast, my eyes are too sensitive to sunlight. P-A-R-T-Y.
What activities do you have right in your own backyard?

14 comments
Aw, that poor little run looks a little worse for wear, but that's awesome you basically had it to yourselves!! I worked at a ski resort in Canada when I was in university, and I always had a giggle at those getting dragged up the slope by the t-bar. Those things are monsters!
ReplyDeleteI have been snowboarding once and it was not the most enjoyable experience. Now I am trying to work up the courage to go here in Iceland, we shall see. I am with you, my eyes are so sensitive to sunlight, many photos are me with my eyes closed, awesome.
ReplyDeleteIt always looks like such fun, but really the thought of it scares me! Also, my 'yard' is a playground, so I guess activities such as sliding, swinging and see-sawing are available to me :)
ReplyDeleteHaha, I love the snow effect on the second to last picture. Gosh, these pictures make me want it to snow!
ReplyDeletei love skiing so much - it was hard to transition from CO to MD, but East Coast skiing isn't quite as bad as I thought it would be. We have some slopes 2-3 hours away... as well as the beach :)
ReplyDeletewell that is awesome. even if it isn't like colorado. and i'm wit you - i'm not really into skiing but everything that comes with it. a bunny hill tho, I'll do that.
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't call Karlsruhe flat considering the hills in the immediate surroundings.
ReplyDeleteSo cool that you had the whole place for yourself. I went skiing once and I am so terrible. :)
ReplyDeleteMust not have been in too bad a shape, no complaints about thigh soreness post ski?
ReplyDeleteAs for the light sensitivity, small price to pay for the blessing that is those big baby blues. The 1st evidence of your light sensitivity occurred in your 1st car ride, on the way home post-birth day. It took a few days to find some sunglasses an appropriate size for your baby noggin.
Miss, love, proud of, and for, you.
Always,
Daddio
It's flat as a pancake, yes the surroundings are hilly but the city itself is insanely flat - unless you're speaking of Durlach, which is one in its own.
ReplyDeleteWho needs moguls, the bunny hills are way more fun!
ReplyDeleteI think snowboarding has a much bigger learning curve than skiing, so it's definitely worth another try!
ReplyDelete[…] Then I could just hop on down to some of Germany’s ski mountains any old time. Read about one expat doing just that on Ifs Ands and Butts. […]
ReplyDeleteThat looks like fun!
ReplyDeleteI have never been skiing. I know, I know, it's hard for you to imagine someone who spent their entire life in Florida until recently never going skiing, but there it is!