One evening on Shayla and I's trip through Germany's gorgeous wine-filled Moselle Valley, hunger struck. The previous evening, we'd indulged in our Travelzooincluded 5 course hotel dinner menu deal, so we were pretty unfamiliar with the area's dining options. That day, we'd driven south along the river until our heart's content, so for dinner, we decided to venture north from our base of Löf. After driving 15 minutes and seeing a whole bunch of darkness amongst the villages dotting the Moselle River, I turned to my BFF Google. I opened the Maps app on my phone and used the Explore Nearby > Eat feature. It wasn't much longer before a highly-rated restaurant appeared, the Alte Mühle Thomas Höreth. I suggested we stop the car and read more about the option. It took seeing one picture to convince us, and off to the village of Kobern-Gondorf we headed for dinner.
Driving the narrow way up the mountain, it was hard to believe a restaurant could be nestled up there, but there it lay - the most adorable restaurant I've encountered yet in Germany. If I remember correctly, we squealed pulling up to this gem of an establishment. The former mill is now a restaurant and hotel, intricately decorated and laid out. There are several dining rooms adorned with homey, yet romantic decor. Upon walking in, we were asked if we had a reservation. Nope, no we did not but luckily on this dreary-weathered Tuesday in the off-season, the two of us had no problem getting seated.
After spending loads of time translating the difficult-to-read, handwriting-style German menu to Shayla, we were offered English menus, which were equally as hart to read, but we made some delicious selections, along with ordering one bottle of the second cheapest wine on the menu. The restaurant hosts a large selection of regional wines, so we were pretty confident we couldn't lose with our selection (and we didn't). Take a gander... because I'm pretty sure I cannot go another lifetime without returning to this joint.
our base in the Moselle Valley: Löf, Germany
an appetizer was an essential, this was a cheese-based bread spread
These days, it's hard for me to say no to some fatty duck. The sauce on those potatoes: heaven.
second cheapest wine on the menu
Does this look like your cup of tea? Or do you prefer a more modern dining experience?

24 comments
this place looks unreal! it really looks straight out of a story book!! how cool!
ReplyDeleteThis looks amazing, just like out of a story book. I would love something like that, you are so lucky you get to see all of these very rare places.
ReplyDeleteThat definitely looks amazing!! What a neat place :)
ReplyDeleteI have been to that town! How funny! Not to that restaurant though. :)
ReplyDeleteThis place looks amazing!
ReplyDeleteI absolutely love this place! I'm far more for coziness than cold and modern dining - totally my cup of tea :)
ReplyDeleteThis place looks awesome! And don't you just love when you're handed something in English AFTER you've already spent a good amount of time translating it for someone else?! lol
ReplyDeleteYES I always get the cheapest wine so I don't get judged too much!
ReplyDeleteThis really is just the cutest place ever. I love the lighting and the cozy feeling of the place.
ReplyDeleteThat place looks so good! I love little, dark, cosy restaurants. And the food looks amazing. Poor ducks, I now understand the term 'he's a sitting duck'... the way they sit around in ponds all care-free, unaware of how tasty they are.
ReplyDeleteEspecially since explaining some foods can be super strange... It's errr... some sliced up potatoes with onions thrown on a grill in oil?
ReplyDeleteThis is what I adore about Germany, the fairytale places. Much as I like a modern restaurant, they kind of blend into one another. These gems are the ones you remember! I love that chandelier type light near your table.
ReplyDelete...oh, meant to add. My friend is a wine buff and said you can't go wrong with the house wine or second cheapest wine on the menu. We always take his advice and it's been right so far. : )
ReplyDeletethat restaurant looks so adorable and cozy!!! love your candle lit dinner :)
ReplyDeleteHow adorable and cozy! It looks so intimate and full of character, finding places like that are a gem!
ReplyDeletepilgrimmemoirs.com
Memoirs of a Pilgrim
I have read that the second cheapest wine on the menu has the highest markup, but it hasn't let me down yet either :)
ReplyDeleteThis looks so incredibly amazing. For some reason it never occurred to me that Germany had a wine region, but it makes sense. Cozy local places are always the best, it looks like such a perfect little place!
ReplyDeleteOooh, it really is cute. I love that you chose the second cheapest wine on the menu. Haha. Also, I want duck now!
ReplyDeleteAnd now I'm trying to work out what this is... Bratkartoffeln?!
ReplyDeleteGerman Rieslings are the best - Riesling grows well on steep hills like the ones throughout the Rhine Valley :)
ReplyDeleteDing ding!
ReplyDeleteHow adorable! Nothing makes me more happy than to find a highly recommended restaurant just when I'm on the verge of starvation - food AND it's going to be good?! Yes and yes. On the other hand, not finding a good place to eat when you're starving is the saddest thing ever.
ReplyDeleteI sound pretty dramatic today, I didn't realize how passionate I was this.. ha
This place looks like it is out of a German book. The duck looks great. Since we moved here,my family and I also love duck. Looks like a great time was had. I need to remember this place if we travel that direction.
ReplyDeleteIt looks like it's in a fairytale!
ReplyDelete