This may come as a shock to you, but Germany is cold in the winter. As a weirdy, or just your standard Texan, who prefers hot and humid over subzero temperatures, my first winter on of the 49th parallel (fun Karlsruhe fact, it lies right on this latitude, famous for marking the US-Canadian border) was literally bone-chilling, forcing me to restrain from smiling outdoors as it caused pain in teeth. Life in Germany is not like life in the US. Living in a German city, I do not own a car and rely on my feet, bicycle, and the dreaded tram system (it's actually not that bad, I am just cheap and impatient) to get around. This involves a lot of time outdoors because no matter how much you want to avoid it, you need to hit the supermarket every now and then.
Going on my third winter in Germany, I have FINALLY figured out how to go out in public without facing perpetual misery. It only took the first two go-rounds of frozen tears and hiding in bed to figure it out...
These days, I cannot quite say I am embracing the cold conditions, but I certainly do not let them stop me. I am still 100 percent using my bike for transportation and sometimes I am even dressed too warm. This all may seem silly to you northerners, but we Texans get a little scared of by frozen conditions.
This is not an exaggeration:
Coming from a Texan transplanted into Deutschland's frozen tundra, I'm going to go ahead and say you cannot dress any warmer than this while still looking normal. Dressing for winter is 1) cumbersome and 2) expensive. You don't want to skimp on the layers and you certainly don't want to buy cheap socks, boots, or jackets as you will certainly feel the difference.The good thing about winter clothes is they can totally be worn a few times between washes (minus the long underwear layer).
Sweater, preferably wool | Fleece-Lined Thermal Underwear | North Face E-Tip Gloves | Skinny Jeans | Alpaca Socks | Waterproof Jacket with Removable Lining Pictured: North Face Women's Triclimate Boundary | Head Wear | Knee High Boots Pictured: Timberland Women's Savin Hill Knee-High Boot
What are your tips for dressing in cold weather?

35 comments
omgsh. that video. I love it. and it's so true. I'm still trying to figure out how to dress here.. but I am learning I would rather look a little silly but be warm, than be so concerned about dressing cute.. I am SICK of being cold!
ReplyDeleteOh Alex... you do realise it's not even that cold this year? :-P
ReplyDeleteHat, scarf and gloves are missing from your list.
i think i would die, but im so glad you're getting used to it. im actually looking for a really good pair of socks and those look great. i will have to look into those!
ReplyDeletePeople keep telling me that it's "not that cold yet." As a native Southern Californian, I'm with you.
ReplyDeleteThey are too on the list! But yes, I realize this, this list was made for extra cold evenings that I know are coming :)
ReplyDeleteHaha... ok, I just can't read then :-s
ReplyDeleteFleece lined tights are my best friends, I don't dare step out into the Icelandic winter without them! You can always spot the tourist walking around the city in the winter with their massive amount of layers! I never leave the house without my wool gloves or a hat on my head. So uncomfortable when your ears, fingers, or toes are cold, just the worst!
ReplyDeleteGood to know you are staying warm. Like you, I am unaccustomed to harsh winters, although, by German standards, you are in one of the warmer spots?
ReplyDeleteThe video gave me a chuckle and reminded me of trying to get you to GrannyB's for Christmas in 1989 for your 1st celebration. Must've been Christmas eve, or perhaps eve-eve, and a snow/ice storm hit.
We decided to risk it, finally made it out of town and to Lafayette, La. where we slept over with the McCarthys. Somewhere between Houston and Lafayette, right on cue, you contracted a bug. Your Mom followed shortly thereafter.
Every Holiday, thanksgiving or Christmas, you and her would seemingly come down with something, you 1st, her next.
Believe your Mom decided to divorce me after a trip to the Dr. where I refused to fill a Rx for antibiotics and informed the MD she was in error with her Dx of asthma. I was right.
Proud of, and for, you.
Miss & Love you,
You were, are, and shall ever be a star, my star, a superstar.
Happy Holidays!
Always,
Daddio
i always feel so inadequate coming after your dad's epic comments. what a rad pops you have!
ReplyDeleteanyway, this entire post just made me happy i wasn't in canada. i might have to work during the holidays, but at least it's on the beach!
Oh this looks very familiar! We've only had a few -8C or so days in Stockholm so far, but I know they're coming... the jacket I bought is long and rated for -40C. I hope it'll do me well. I'll soon be layering the tights underneath as well...
ReplyDeleteMmm I have to say I really like cold weather...the heat is suffocating to me! But, I guess I grew up in Alaska and when it hit -30 degrees fahrenheit with a wind chill of 50 miles per hour on top of that, then your idea of 'cold' is probably a bit different from everyone else (our schools didn't shut down until it was -59 outside!). But put me in 90+ degree fahrenheit weather and I feel like I'm mellltting.
ReplyDeleteThat video is so funny - reminds me of my town, like when I was chatting on skype with my mum and she said that even though it's summer its so cold she put a jersey on - 24degrees C. I'm slowly learning to not smile outside, and to dress myself, but you're right - so cumbersome and expensive!!!
ReplyDeleteI gave in and bought a Jack Wolfskin eskimo coat - best purchase ever and well worth the ridiculous amount of money!!
ReplyDeleteOh hooray, I have so many of these things from the Camino, though I'm nervous my winter jacket, which is nice for Southern Spain winter, won't cut it. I'm also trying to figure out the best boots to wear, since I'm not used to snow. Thanks, dear!
ReplyDeleteWe've been lucky so far in Karlsruhe this year, no sticking snow yet. You're welcome to come join for an escape ;)
ReplyDeleteThis year hasn't been too bad yet. Just wait for dark and cold February - she's a mean one.
ReplyDeleteAlex, remember you have it a bit warmer there in KA then us over in the Schwarzwald! ;) It is true with your comments on what to wear. Need the right clothes for this time of year. Hope all is well there and we will try again for the bbq when it gets warm.
ReplyDeleteTHE BEST WAY TO STAY WARM WHEN IT TURNS COLD IS TO GO TO ISLA MUJERAS! WORKS EVERY TIME!!!!
ReplyDeleteCauses your teeth pain?! OH DEAR LORD. And yes, you are right....it is totally cumbersome and expensive UGH. I'm going to have to buy some warmer clothes when I get to England this weekend. I would love those socks and boots!
ReplyDeleteLove that reindeer sweater! i need my gloves and scarves and boots and warm sweaters!
ReplyDeleteY'all are welcome to invite me along anytime!
ReplyDeleteOh girl, coming from Alaska I can't even imagine. We may be from the same country but our weather tolerances could not be more different!
ReplyDeleteYes please!! Great hearing from you Julie. What are your favorite towns to visit in the Black Forest? Any great places to sled?
ReplyDeleteOMG YES! SOOO cold! You can also buy re-usable hand warmers as well, they work pretty well.
ReplyDeleteI caved in and bought Ugg-style boots. I'm tired of having frozen toes every winter.
I'm from South Florida, about an hour north of Miami- it snows in my home town roughly once every ten years, and it almost never dips below freezing there.
ReplyDeleteThat being said, I'm used to the climate here now, and I find Florida to be Too Damn Hot (tm). 15C and sunny here is a t-shirt day.
When it does get colder, or more moist, since Regensburg is right on the Donau, there are a few things I do. The first is the right shoes- any thick cotton sock is good enough for me most of the time, but for colder days, I prefer a shoe with a much thicker sole. The shoes I wear to work this time of year probably grant me an extra inch of height, but you'd be amazed at what a difference being an inch further away from the cold concrete will make. (If I'm gonna be tromping in snow, I have boots just for that, but I'm usually just on sidewalks here.)
As for the rest, layers layers layers. I have the traditional thermal underwear for under my normal jeans, but I don't put those on unless it's at least a few degrees below freezing. For the top, I usually will use a long sleeve cotton t-shirt with another short sleeved shirt over it, Sheldon-style. I have some Hot Chillys brand thermal tops that can be used as a base layer, but I don't use those all the time because when I get to my office, I'm always sweating and they're *too* warm.
On a normal office day where the temperature is around -2C, I typically don't wear a thermal layer under my pants, and above the waist I wear long sleeved cotton t-shirt topped by short sleeved cotton shirt with a cotton hoodie and a heavy winter coat.
All important are the scarf, gloves, and hat. I find that with this much layering, the only parts of me that get cold are my hands, nose, and ears. I learned pretty quickly here that if my head and neck are covered, my body doesn't get cold quite as fast.
I kind of wish I'd bought e-Tip gloves though; those things are ingenious.
I.... did not intend to type that much. Great blog topic, Alex!
Isn't that the worst part of winter though - having to layer up so much and then going inside everywhere where it's TOO warm and then having to take off all said layers that took forever to put on in the first place? Sigh.
ReplyDeleteAhh thank you for this post! I'm headed to Germany next week from Spain! We'll be around Dusseldorf. It's been pretty cold here, but I feel like we're in for a whole new level!
ReplyDeleteWill be traveling jan 10-31st. I'm from the warmer area of San Francisco area. Should I bring down jackets mad waterproof boots? Is the regular uggs good enough to wear? Please advise!
ReplyDeleteUgg boots and thick socks are typically enough, but it depends on where you are going. If you are going to the Black Forest or somewhere snowy, I recommend bringing waterproof boots.
ReplyDeleteThank you! We will be staying in Penzberg (upper Bavaria) . Do you know if its snowing there?
ReplyDeleteLooks like it could snow some while you are there: http://www.wetter.com/wetter_aktuell/wettervorhersage/16_tagesvorhersage/?id=DE0008182
ReplyDeletei know first hand what to wear i live here in berlin
ReplyDeletehey Guys. I'm going to Germany, Austria and Switzerland in December 2014. Can I wear Converse All Stars on the trip or will it not be advisable? What shoes would you recommend? Thanx in advance
ReplyDeleteI would not recommend Converse. I recommend a waterproof booth with wool socks. Winter can be very wet. Warm feet = happy traveler. Have a great trip!
ReplyDeleteKeep Warm And Support Germany
ReplyDelete[...] y I am embracing the cold conditions, but I certainly do not let them stop me. I [...]