It's tough to be a tourist in your own city and doing so abroad is not any easier. When you live somewhere, it is easy to put off paying to visit the attractions to another day. I spend a couple of days a week during the summer months basking in the sun at the gardens surrounding the Karlsruhe Schloss (palace). However, I had never been inside until the ultimate goodbye party and my lazy legs had never trekked to the top until Friday afternoon. My partner in crime, Maggie, moves back to the USA in less than a month (we won't talk about how sad I am right now), so she is finally rushing around to check off some of the last items on the German bucket list and I am joining her whenever possible. Climbing the stairs to the top of the city's gorgeous icon was certainly list worthy. The Karlsruher Schloss was was built in the early 18th century by Margrave Karl III. No ruler has lived in the palace since 1918 though and it is now home to the Badisches Landesmuseum and the surrounding area serves as a beautiful city park. Thirty-two streets radiate out from the castle like spokes of a wheel, creating the city's unique layout. Admission is €4 for adults and it includes both the museum and the tower. The views from the tower alone are worth the €4 any day, and would be worth even more on a gorgeous day like we experienced. We joked about how happy we were it took us so long to finally visit, because the fall colors made it extra special. The museum is filled with relics from the royal family and their residence in the palace, including crown jewels, thrones, and attire.

What tourist activities have you done in your own city?

14 comments
this is just insanely gorgeous. WOW. i would say the state fair of texas is kinda touristy right?!
ReplyDeletebeautiful place. and the weather seemed so friendly too.
ReplyDeletegah, you're so right. when i moved back to bali i promised myself to explore. there should be at least 2 places that i visit in a month. still....stil...duh
I don't do a lot of touristy things here, although I'm sure I should. Apparently tourism is a big economic thing for us. Who knew? The history major in me would have made it difficult to leave that castle though. My friends HATE going to anything remotely historical with me.
ReplyDeleteLove the pictures! They are fantastic! And you always wear the greatest sweaters! :)
ReplyDeleteLooks lovely! It is hard to do tourist things in your own town.... but it is so fun when you do! It makes you appreciate where you live even more! :)
ReplyDeleteAh, your photos make me miss Germany!
ReplyDeleteIn my hometown, my friends and I like to take the boat tour of the bay and marina. It's not the *most* exciting tour (and the bay is so tiny, the boat has to go around it twice to fill the full hour), but it's fun to see the city at a different angle and to see the seals and birds up close.
So so gorgeous! It's funny how even as an expat one often forgets to explore their own city. I try to make a conscious effort to be a tourist in Johannesburg, but 90% of the time life is just normal, mundane everyday life. This is a great reminder :)
ReplyDeleteOoooh, it does look gorgeous with all the autumn colours! I went up when a friend was visiting a few years ago, but it was summer then. I might have to dig out the photo for comparison.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, I went to Primark today and saw the fox jumper, but I was good and resisted. It's soooo similar to my other fox jumper (except the part where it has an actual body) that I decided I really don't need it. May end up going back during the week though...
That's exactly what I've been say with my 'holiday eyes' posts! Even though we live in really cool places, it's so easy to take our surroundings for granted and not get out there and explore them! Good for you for playing tourist in your own backyard :)
ReplyDeleteFabulous! Way to take time to soak in, & appreciate, your immediate surroundings!
ReplyDeleteLove fall, the change in weather & the vibrant colors.
Blue is one of my favorite colors, but not normally associated with fall. You might consider removing the sunglasses for photo ops to show off your baby blue eyes? They are one of your more magnificent features, among many.
I recall bringing you home from the hospital after your birth. Must have been in the afternoon & we were driving westward, the sun got in your eyes and you squeaked with apparent displeasure. I spent the next few days searching the city for sunglasses for an infant.
Even since, those baby blues have spent too much time concealed by Ray-bans.
Consider removing your sunglasses for photos, your eyes say so much and are nice to look at too.
Love, miss, proud of, and for, you.
Always,
Daddio
Totally touristy, and totally great. Texas needs more of that action.
ReplyDeleteI feel like going somewhere with a history major would be so advantageous though! I am the worst in history.
ReplyDeleteSo gorgeous!! Love all the fall foliage in those photos!
ReplyDelete[…] “It’s tough to be a tourist in your own city and doing so abroad is not any easier. When you live somewhere, it is easy to put off paying to visit the attractions to another day. I spend a couple of days a week during the summer months basking in the sun at the gardens surrounding the Karlsruhe Schloss (palace). However, I had never been inside until the ultimate goodbye party and my lazy legs had never trekked to the top until Friday afternoon.” Read the full post at Ifs Ands and Butts. […]
ReplyDelete