Cat, a fellow expat at Sunshines & Siestas, tagged me in the Capture the Color competition. While I am certain I won't win, I am certain that I thoroughly enjoyed going through album after album of my years in Germany. Initially, I wanted to do photos from all over, but it was too hard to choose, so I stuck with the (new) homeland. I selected not only photos that captured the colors, but also the essence of Germany.
Gelb // Yellow
Freiburg. How could I not choose a Krug of fresh pilsner for my Germany yellow? Ganter is a local Freiburg beer founded in 1865.
Rot // Red
Cologne. The Hohenzollern Bridge over the Rhine River in Cologne withstands a whole lot of foot and train traffic and is yet another cliche love lock bridge in Europe. Although the focus is on the locks, the DB signature red train in the background is a symbol of Germany's modern society moving right along.
Grün // Green
Munich. Green is the biggest association my mind has with Germany. The winter is bleak, but the other three seasons certainly make up for it. Greenery is everywhere and prevents boredom any train or road trip. I will always be in awe at the green rolling hills of the south, the vineyards nearby, and thick trees in the Black Forest. However, it does not end there. Parks galore dot the cities, offering spots nearby for city slickers, too. This photo was taken on a summer day in 2010 at the Chinese Tower beer garden in the English Garden.
Weiß // White
Berlin. The Brandenburg Gate is an old city gate from the late 1700s that now serves as a symbol of unity and peace in the capital city. It was, and still is, an important historical site and many important events still take place here.
Blau // Blue
Munich. Although it is so obvious and boring of me to use the sky as my blue, this untouched photograph captures the bluest of blue skies over an important square, Marienplatz, in my favorite city in the world.

25 comments
Love your photos...and the blue sky in Germany, of course you had to use it!
ReplyDeleteBrill pics and interesting info behind them.
ReplyDeleteAwesome pictures!!! Blue is my favorite!
ReplyDeleteLove your pictures! Of course you would choose beer for yellow... love it :) And so, so German!
ReplyDeleteAw, thanks for the tag! And lies, you are a great photographer! My vote goes for red.
ReplyDeleteWow, that blue sky is INCREDIBLE!!
ReplyDeleteMmmm, Ganter beer! Nice.
Lovely!! Thanks for tagging me...can't wait to get on this!
ReplyDeleteWow great photos! x
ReplyDeleteThanks for the tag Alex! Great photos (despite your self-criticism!), I love the one from Berlin!
ReplyDeleteLoved all of these photos, Alex - particularly the red and green!
ReplyDeleteLove your pictures and I hope you will win!
ReplyDeleteI am in love with your red picture! Kudos to you for kicking butt and taking the challenge.
ReplyDeleteThat red shot is AMAZING!
ReplyDeleteI love your Germany focus, the red and green is also my favorite....ah those beer gardens, how I've missed those wonderful places.
ReplyDeleteI'm inviting you to join us for Travel Photo Mondays, the link runs all week so I hope you can join us for the next installment?
What a fun challenge! It was such a fun post to read through :-)
ReplyDeletemy favorite is the red shot
ReplyDeletethis is gorgeous, Alex!
ReplyDeleteAHHHH LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!! And who are you kidding?! You've got some great photog skills!! :-) xoxo
ReplyDeleteThese are beautiful! I love the blue sky - I cannot get over how blue the sky is here and how pretty the clouds are. And my red love-lock will soon be joining that red photo! ;)
ReplyDeleteThanks for checking them out - would love to participate!
ReplyDeleteI agree with Andi - really love the red!
ReplyDeleteI entered this last year! Love your green photo. Good luck :)
ReplyDeleteGreat pictures, Alex!
ReplyDeleteThis is a neat idea. It'll take a while for me to get back to this, but I will. :D (Maybe not in time to enter the contest, but I care more about the cool post idea than the contest, so that's fine.)
Great shots (love the green!) and thanks for the tag!
ReplyDeleteOh fun, I might have to enter too!
ReplyDelete