HOW TO: PLAY FLUNKYBALL (A GERMAN DRINKING GAME)

By Unknown - 2:32 PM

I've spent many an afternoon at the Schlossgarten here in Karlsruhe and each of those afternoons, I spy groups of young people playing a game that looks way up my alley. These groups are always making a ruckus and putting forth a huge effort, whether it be sprinting or drinking. After some asking around, I found out what this mysterious game is: Flunkyball. Flunkyball is a popular German drinking game placing two teams against each other on opposite sides of a small field. Saturday afternoon, an opportunity to participate finally presented itself and it sure lived up to expectations. I love me a good fashion competition and what's better than one that involves drinking German beer and enjoying the green grass and the shining sun?

Get Started with Flunkyball


Objective: for your entire team finish their beers before the other team

Materials: beer bottle for each participant, projectile, target

1. Divide into two teams. Each individual possesses a full beer.


2. Line up according to the diagram below. We used a small potato as the projectile, but it can be anything dense, round, and baseball-sized. This time, we utilized an empty beer bottle as the target, but once again, it can be anything that withstands light winds and will fall when hit. Our target was not ideal, as the glass could break. Plastic bottles filled a bit with water are a much better alternative.


flunkyball set up graphic


traditional Flunkyball set up


3. A player from Team 1 will throw the projectile at the target. If the projectile misses the target, team 2 will throw. If Team 2 hits the target and it falls, every player on the Team 2 begins to drink their beers. The players from the opposing Team 1 run out, set the target back upright, grab the projectile, and return to their line up. Once crossing the threshold back, the Team 2 yells "STOP" informing Team 1 to stop drinking their beers and set them back down.

4. Alternate turns. Once an entire team has finished their beers, they are declared the winning team.

Penalty Beers


- You must set your beer down carefully. If you're beer overflows upon setting it on the ground, you will receive a - penalty beer. You must finish all your beers for your team to be declared the winner.
- If you drink past the word stop, you also receive a penalty beer.
- If the projectile knocks down your beer, you also receive a penalty beer.

And this, my friends, is how it goes:




Have you ever played Flunkyball? What are your favorite games?

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

23 comments

  1. Haha, oh man. That looks slightly ridiculous. We used to play baseball. I don't remember the rules at all, I just remember that it was pretty dang fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so fun! I love creative drinking games! I played beer pong for the first time the other day and really enjoyed it! I also love a drinking game we call FlippyCup! So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You CRACK ME UP!! Loving this game... looks like fun!! I love all the voices of the little Germans in the background... sounds so sexyyyy! Chug a lug, Alex ;)

    P.S. Thanks for including me in your sidebar! Wanna swap buttons? I'd be happy to put your button with my other button swap bloggers!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am totally confused because I have never heard of that game. How is that possible? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. AH! I see that game all the time too!! Would love to play sometime, but I've never had the chance! Drinking is fun and games are fun, which make drinking games just the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. is flunky ball the new beer pong??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes - plus less material required! You gotta try it out and let me know what you thought!

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol, this is awesome!! ive never heard of it, but its seems a million times better than beer pong -- which i hate. i recently discovered corn hole ... but wait, im not sure if that's a drinking game or if we just made it one! hahah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah love me a good round of flip cup and beer pong as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey ya - let's email about buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WHAT!! I'm determined to bring it to the US

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seriously, if I'm alone at the park and see people playing I'm just going to ask to join in from now on because I loved it

    ReplyDelete
  13. ha corn hole is always fun - i've never made it a drinking game, but then again everyone's drinking if we're playing

    ReplyDelete
  14. is it the one where you spin around on the bat and then ahve to hit the can?

    ReplyDelete
  15. So weird. I mean, I know other German drinking games but not this one. I don't understand....

    ReplyDelete
  16. well
    Icelanders thought me this game while i was in ka

    listen to this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T1c7GkzRQQ
    every time they song says "roxanne" you have to drink a shot.
    just try.

    ciao

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is awesome. Thank Alex! Thank you so much! I know now what I will be doing this summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. haha one of my British friends taught me the Roxanne game - but I couldn't keep up! And seriously, gotta love the Icelanders! They're amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i dont know if you guys knew, but just to avoid any mistakes.. : most of the things people say in this video are not german, it sounds more like polish, maybe. there are some short german sentences in the background though!

    ReplyDelete
  20. hammadinbil@hotmail.comJuly 7, 2016 at 9:07 PM

    hammadinbil@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. hammadinbil@hotmail.comOctober 7, 2016 at 7:08 PM

    hammadinbil@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete