SHOUTING IT FROM THE ROOFTOPS: I'M STAYING ANOTHER YEAR IN GERMANY

By Unknown - 7:36 PM

All probably four of my Camp Mystic readers out there will get the title reference.

Today, I have some pretty big news.

When I cried saying goodbye to my mother, my hometown, and the good ole USA at Bush Intercontinental Airport way back on May 31, 2011, my mom double checked, "You're not going to make a career out of this (au pairing), right?" I laughed at the preposterous idea. I was still in Texas and already missed home.

Now that I've been in Europe 10 months, all I can think is how fast this time passed and how I wish I had more: more time to meet wonderful people from all over the world, more time to learn the language, more time to see the rest of the continent, just one more Oktoberfest, just one more Glühwein at the Christmas Market. I love life here and there were too many times where I couldn't help but think that I wanted to stay.

And then an opportunity arose, an opportunity too good, one that frankly became impossible to turn down. My gurl and chef extraordinare Lauren goes home in August, so her family asked me if I would like to come back. I did, I knew I did. They are a wonderful, wonderful family and I know all the kids. The youngest of which is my little Liam's love.

But there were still dilemmas - most of my main group of friends here will be gone. Do I love the place? Or am I attached to the people? Do I want to go through that awkward process of making friends again? And what about the people at home? I miss them. And School! Oh school! Could I really go two years without using those two degrees I just graduated from? I worked my butt off doing internships all through college. Is two years being an au pair in Germany throwing all of that away?  Am I too old? Don't I need to get back and start a career?

It's funny how much I wanted to stay, and then the perfect opportunity came up and I got scared. Isn't this what I wanted? If it was, then why did I have so many dang concerns?

Then there was another game changer. In Germany, you can only receive an au pair visa once, but with my new family I will be on a standard working visa. This also gives me the opportunity to work a job in my field - one that can help me continue in the direction of a career. So, in addition to the standard childcare and English teaching duties, I will also be doing marketing for a software company! This factor eliminated a lot of my fears and I was able to again look at the positives of staying another year here.

Top Reasons I'm Staying in Germany


(in no particular order)

- The pay next year is significantly better. I can actually rebuild my savings account that I have been chipping away at all year long.
- I will be working in a field I'm interested, doing something pertaining to my studies and continuing to build upon prior experience.
- Travel.  I've done some damage on this continent but there is more to see, so much more to see.
- Learning German!
- Weekends off. Right now I only have Sundays, so adding Saturdays adds travel opportunities galor.
- Access to a car (once I learn to drive a standard)
- Continuing to be a part of the lives of my current au pair family
- Constantly being in situations that putting me out of my comfort zone and embarking on new adventures
- I get to spend 6 weeks at home in Houston between jobs.
- Visitors! This gives more time for people from home to come experience German awesomeness with me.
- I love how here, I'm always meeting new people.

No, no I am not a career au pair or even a German-lifer. All I know is that I'm here another year and am excited about it. The decision was not easy to make, so sorry for the wordiness. This consumed my mind for weeks. When I really looked at the opportunity, I simply had to ask, why is this opportunity here? It quickly became clear that it wasn't there for me to turn it down. It was there for a reason. I have no idea what this next year will bring, but I know whatever it brings, it's delivering it to Karlsruhe, Germany.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

49 comments

  1. Congratulations Alex! This is so awesome (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh!!!! I'M SO JEALOUS!!!!!!! You are going to have a blast being here another year! So glad you get to stay... but openly very, very jealous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Landi {The Lifestyle Guide}April 7, 2012 at 10:39 PM

    This is soooo awesome, Alex. Way too make a big decision on your own and continue your amazing journey in Europe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. Stay and experience Europe while you are young (I know I sound like I'm 80 years old, lol!). Do it and have fun! Later you won't have time and you won't have the opportunity to stay for so long either. It's amazing to be able to live in another country like that and if it's a good family, it's a brilliant opportunity. And to learn another language properly... invaluable! I've understood Americans are not great at other languages, so feel proud you're about to learn one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome! you should stay as long as you want to. when you want to go back, go back. : ) follow your gut, buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy for you!! (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats... here's to year two! :) Is the marketing job through the au pair family as well? How did you find it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm an au pair in Germany too, although only 3.5 months in. I second the question about how you found the marketing job! I am on the hunt for ways to stay in Germany after my time is up...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! SO exciting! I think it's great that you're staying even though it means another year away from fam & friends ... but think how happy you'll be looking back at this time in your life once you're older! Also, you get to go back to the USA for a break in between! Literally seems like the most perfect circumstances everrrr!!

    Side note: what'd you use to make that photo collage? So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations, this sounds like a great opportunity. And I agree with Susi that you have to take advantage of opportunities when they arise. Good luck with the German. I've let my French go and I regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. FRIEND. I am so seriously excited for you. I love vicariously living through your adventures. Oh and reading posts about beer and brats. So I am definitely looking forward to more of that. And the opportunities that you are going to have. WOO. HOO.

    PS. Camp Mystic for Girls?! Oh hot dang. I worked at Pine Cove in Tyler. I think we need to seriously talk Texas. I can fill you in all things humid/hot/our bad sports teams.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's awesome! I'm so excited for you! I would take the opportunity too, haha. I wouldn't be able to leave. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic decision! Stay in Europe and soak up as much experiences as you can, while you can :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Think of me when you're enjoying free refills and free toilets and free, ya lots more free stuff :) German will miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well let's see if I can actually learn it.... must dedicate more time to German because it is just so dang difficult!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Landi! It was a tough decision, so hoping I made the right one - but very excited!

    ReplyDelete
  17. ha ya after a million pro/cons lists - my gut was about all I had!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So pumped! Yes yes, they're setting me up. They knew I wanted to use my degree - ask and ye shall receive

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sometimes it's surprising what you can get if you just tell people what you're looking for :) Where are you an au pair? Why aren't you staying out the full year as an au pair?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks!!! I really appreciate the encouragement!

    I used Photovisi in combination with this Photoshop type program called Pixelmator!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ah thanks... it's gonna take me a lot of work because I've been a serious slacker lately.

    ReplyDelete
  23. THANK YOU :D I'll def continue to post, hopefully can even amp up my blogging game a bit. And yes, I went to Mystic for 11 years. Had lots of friends at Pine Cove, too crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  24. haha ya, hard realizing that someday I will in fact have to leave here.

    ReplyDelete
  25. doing my best :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. congratulations!!! this is wonderful news and definitely you're at the age where it is appropriate to do it :) im so happy for you! and maybe, just maybe, we can meet up somewhere sometime (and cause trouble around these european parts). im thinking maybe is more like a probably anyways :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hooray!! It's great that you can stay on and live out your dreams a bit longer. Also means I might be able to squeeze in a visit when I head over later this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU. I actually got goosebumps reading this post...and I haven't even met you! I am telling you as the college-graduate-farther-removed-than-you (i'm 27) that you made the right decision. One year of au pairing vs two is insignificant in the scheme of things, and LOOK AT YOU, you totally improved upon your current situation by getting both weekend days off, a real residence permit, AND you have a gig on the side!

    so what i am trying to say here, is that i am SO SO excited for you and we should plan an eventual trip to meetup to celebrate!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. how about three-person meetup!??!

    ReplyDelete
  30. congratulations! and watch out...my 10 months study abroad have turned into 3.5 years and counting! i can honestly say, though, that i love my german life and don't regret staying (even though it means missing out on some things) - karlsruhe will do that to you. good ol KA :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Vanisha @ Vanishas Life In...AustraliaApril 12, 2012 at 10:31 AM

    What an amazing decision! I just know that the next 12 months will be filled with beautiful and inspiring experiences. And yay for more travel (and money!) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  32. ummmm YES PLEASE!

    I'm coming to see both of yall, hope that's cool. I'll have a lot more freedom with my new job. Let's plan something spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  33. yessss! let me know where you are, maybe I can come meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  34. ahhh thank you thank you! I am very very excited, especially to go home for just long enough to really miss it here. We definitely have to plan something, I would LOVE that.

    ReplyDelete
  35. gotta love this place, although sometimes i'm unsure why, it's always too fun :) my mom will freak if it turns to 3.5, but hey not opposed!

    ReplyDelete
  36. eeek sure hope so! thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Congratulations sweetie!! I am sooo happy that you are staying in Germany. Yay for more money too!

    ReplyDelete
  38. ashley // chasing heartbeatsApril 13, 2012 at 12:43 PM

    yay! certainly you have another amazing year ahead of you! and six weeks at home between jobs is definitely something to be excited about!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Cassie @ WittyTitleHere.comApril 13, 2012 at 10:08 PM

    Wow. WOW! Good for you-- it sounds like you made the right choice. :) America (and home) will always be here. You're making some pretty magical memories over there. Why not make it last a little longer?

    ReplyDelete
  40. hayley [see.hay.fly]April 14, 2012 at 8:19 AM

    so jealous! this is my only regret, i wish i had stayed another year!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thank you, I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Yes, I think 6 weeks will be the perfect time at home - can see everyone, get lots done, and start to miss Germany :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. So true, home will always be there :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. Christine GundermannApril 30, 2012 at 5:04 PM

    I'm in this tiny (boring) town outside of Bonn. I've been here since New Year's and would love to stay the full year, but it doesn't look like my au pair family will be able to have me stay past August. I love reading your blog and if you are ever in the Cologne/Bonn area I would love to meet up!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Why don't you look into finding another family somewhere else? Your visa lasts a year anyway :) I'm sure there are tons of families that would be so happy to have you. I will certainly let you know if I'm ever in the area, and same goes for you coming south :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Many thanks a lot pertaining to sharing this kind of with all of persons you truly comprehend what you're really talking over! Bookmarked. I implore you to furthermore discuss with this site Means). You can employ a web page link change understanding among us

    ReplyDelete