
First things first, the most world renowned festival lived up to its expectations. I expected a few things: traditional German attire, Bavarian food, tons of people, singing and endless amounts of beer; at Oktoberfest, all are plentiful. I made not one, but two Saturday stops at Oktoberfest in Munich and loved it both go 'rounds. Actually, love is an understatement.

huge crowd day 1 of Oktoberfest at Hofbrau-Festzelt
The atmosphere is unmatched. Imagine thousands upon thousands of people around the world all coming together for one cause: to be happy, get drunk and celebrate everything Bavarian. All attendees are in fabulous moods and ready to mingle and have a good time. No matter where you seat yourself, you are sure to be surrounded by extroverted and entertaining (more so as the day goes on and the beer goes down) travelers. My favorite part by far was singing along with the band in the tents. They sing traditional German beer songs, but also some American tunes. This happens to be my favorite sing-a-long (beware: it will get stuck in your head).
So ein schöner Tag
Don't be fooled by those that tell you Oktoberfest is for tourists only. I met tons of people not only from all over Germany, but locals from Munich and the rest of Bavaria. Yes, even in the Hofbrau tent.
Saturday is the busiest day to go to Oktoberfest and the crowds show it. Be ready to get in line early (I suggest 7 a.m.) to guarantee yourself a table. You must have a seat at a table to be served beer, so this element is crucial.

Photo evidence: this was taken at 7:30 am the last Saturday of Oktoberfest
If you are considering attending Oktoberfest ever, I have one piece of advice besides arriving early on a Saturday, you HAVE to dress up. As I was told by a friend, "it's like going to a costume party without a costume and I hate those people." Don't be that person. Dressing up makes it even more fun and people are more likely to talk to you and will gladly share their table with you. For women, dressing up means the dirndl while men wear lederhosen. Both will cost you 100+ Euro in Munich, so maybe do some online shopping before.

The beer is only served by the liter and cost 9.20 Euro this year. The waitresses do not give change and expect to tip on top of this. I was told several times that these waitresses make majority of their yearly income during Oktoberfest.

Everyone says go on a weekday so you can hop around all the tents. That does sound nice, and someday I would like to do that. However, if you don't mind crowds, the weekends are just SO fun because everyone is obligation free and ready to drink tons of beer and have a good time.
More photos from my two Oktoberfest Trips
first beer of the day

Armbrustschützenzelt tent

usually men wear a checkered shirt under your lederhosen, but these things happen as the day goes on
Add it to your bucket list now. For reals, I will go with you.




8 comments
AH! This looks SO fun. I love Munich, never went during Oktoberfest though. I am going to a little Oktoberfest celebration in Georgia over Halloween. Don't think it will be quite this crowded though...lol.
ReplyDeleteoktoberfest is already on my bucket list!!!! my parents went back in the 80s when we lived in germany and despite me being too young to be able to spell oktoberfest, i have been jealous since :)
ReplyDeletei freaking LOVE the photo of you with the beer!!!
im so glad it lived up to expectations. im semi claustrophobic when there are too many people so im glad to know that beer can help me conquer that fear!!
This looks like such fun! The hubs and I thought about doing Oktoberfest this year, but hostel prices jumped way up and we decided to check out Munich around Christmas time instead. I am so glad you're having fun! Those beers are overwhelmingly large...I'm guessing the waitresses work out! :D
ReplyDelete<3 Daryl
Roots, Wings, and Other Things.
LOVE LOVE LOVE!! I guess I missed this the other day when you posted. You look great in your dirndl and all the pics are so fun. Hacker tent (if ya'll did go there, I know that is where the video is from) is the BEST! And craziest. They love that long and love to get louder and louder. I think you summed it up right. You get that high feeling from that place. So much going on!!!
ReplyDelete*song, not long :)
ReplyDeleteOktoberfest in Germany looks like so much fun! It's something that I definitely want to go to someday. I went to college in La Crosse, Wisconsin where there is the largest Oktoberfest celebration in the United States, but I'm sure it's nothing compared to what it is in Germany!
ReplyDeleteWe have a mini Oktoberfest in Texas too called Wurstfest and it's a blast - but definitely does not compare to Munich. It sure is special! Definitely start making plans now if you want to go this year :)
ReplyDelete[…] Image via Speaking Denglish Munich welcomes the world each October to it’s beautiful countryside to take part in the world’s largest beer festival. Take part in the 16 day event, and drink to your hearts content, and eat some hearty German food along the way. Make sure to come dressed in your best lederhosen or Dirndl dresses, and be ready to socialize and make new friends as you drink the night away! […]
ReplyDelete